Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aptasia out of water

second_decimal

second_decimal

Hi.. anyone have any idea if a rock that had aptasia on it and was pulled can go back in the tank. I had 4 of those suckers attached to a LR and just pulled it and set it to the side. Been sitting out for 4-5 days but I’m wondering if the dead Aptasia can still be viable somehow. Anyone have any experience? Thanks

If there are any wet places still left, they might survive. However, aiptasia aren't very tolerant of drying out- they die pretty quick if not damp.

The downside is, if that rock has completely dried out, that's no longer live rock. That's dry rock full of dead stuff. I wouldn't put that back in your tank- I'd put it in a bucket of saltwater, with a pump, and make sure the ammonia doesn't spike horribly. 

second_decimal

Thanks. i was concerned that the dried up aptasia could reconstitute and disperse around the tank leaving babies everywhere. the rock is just a couple of branch pieces making up less than 5% of the total rockwork so not too concerned with die off fouling the water.  

If all the cells in the aiptasia are dried out, all the cells are dead. They don't have any allowances for being dried out and then submerged, since it's not something that would normally happen. There's not many circumstances where a wild aiptasia could expect to be out of the water for a week and then re-submerged. 

• Like 1
second_decimal
29 minutes ago, Tired said:

There's not many circumstances where a wild aiptasia could expect to be out of the water for a week and then re-submerged. 

well not with that attitude. 😂

• Haha 1