Cultivated Reef

120g La Ville des Poissons 🐚 Well that didn’t last long 😢

ECLS Reefer

ECLS Reefer

I need to get some good shots of the new guys, the filamented wrasse and Napoleon the emperor angel. Perhaps look back later.

_DSC0201.jpeg

_DSC0208.jpeg

_DSC0150.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to 120g gαя∂єη σƒ нєѕρєяι∂єѕ 🐚 NOT HERPES SPECTRA

Does your husband realize that you have spent your childs college fund on fish and coral in the last 3 months??

Love all the fishes though.. the videos are neat 🤙

Oh and I agree with the old man. Everytime I see this thread ,  I read tank of herpes 🤷‍♂️😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
21 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Does your husband realize that you have spent your childs college fund on fish and coral in the last 3 months??

Oh and I agree with the old man. Everytime I see this thread ,  I read tank of herpes 🤷‍♂️😬

She is no where near college fund levels yet.............maybe just first semester at a community college.......... :biggrin: 

Going into year 3 for my kid and were hitting 6 figures............ now you know what kind of tank I could have built........... :blink: 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
ECLS Reefer
25 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Nah. Been covered by all the ridiculous soul killing OT he’s forced to work, not even allowed to request time off. Plus now I’m working full time hours again because we are full of patients covid or not. The college funds are safe. 

Besides he’s slowly becoming a reef addict himself and involving himself more in tank maintenance, feeding and the like. I’m winning him over to the dark side. 😉

2 minutes ago, spectra said:

She is no where near college fund levels yet.............maybe just first semester at a community college.......... :biggrin: 

Going into year 3 for my kid and were hitting 6 figures............ now you know what kind of tank I could have built........... :blink: 

That’s frightening 😳 

At this rate though the kids will have to do online college or may not go at all considering how utterly stupid and obnoxious the most recent generations of graduates are. I am not interested in kids that grow up to act like that or that I have to contemplate duct taping and chaining to the radiator to keep from throwing bricks at anyone or thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
ECLS Reefer

Ugh sad news. Evidently Andromeda, the smaller jawfish, took so much exception to the new wrasse camping across her den that she committed fish suicide last night 😢😢😢😢. Found her little fish jerky self on the floor 😞. Heartbreaking because she was sooooo cute. 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 2
16 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Besides he’s slowly becoming a reef addict himself and involving himself more in tank maintenance, feeding and the like. I’m winning him over to the dark side. 😉

Oh no that's not good . You need at least one voice of reason!! Oh who I'm I kidding I like bad decisions as long as they are fun😎🍻

17 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The college funds are safe. 

They were safe. See above👆

• Haha 2
ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Oh no that's not good . You need at least one voice of reason!! Oh who I'm I kidding I like bad decisions as long as they are fun😎🍻

They were safe. See above👆

Have faith! Covid isn’t over yet and for

good or ill we are being well compensated for our public service misery at the moment. How I wish life was back to normal. J is completely exhausted from working 60-70 hour weeks every single week. Every shift I work now I come home drenched in sweat like I was at the gym all day, having to leave my clothes in the garage and wash everything separately. We have no life outside of work unfortunately so the fish are all we have to focus on. 

4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Have faith! Covid isn’t over yet and for

good or ill we are being well compensated for our public service misery at the moment. How I wish life was back to normal. J is completely exhausted from working 60-70 hour weeks every single week. Every shift I work now I come home drenched in sweat like I was at the gym all day, having to leave my clothes in the garage and wash everything separately. We have no life outside of work unfortunately so the fish are all we have to focus on. 

Lol no . No it's not. Sitting here in my office watching the governor closing back down restaurants  , barber shops, gyms .. etc.. sucks

Yea you guys are going to need a LONNNNG vacation soon.

Also what are you doing for your fish? Are you quatrenineing these guys or just going for it??

ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Lol no . No it's not. Sitting here in my office watching the governor closing back down restaurants  , barber shops, gyms .. etc.. sucks

Yea you guys are going to need a LONNNNG vacation soon.

Also what are you doing for your fish? Are you quatrenineing these guys or just going for it??

I subscribe, for better or ill, to the @WV Reefer method of just putting them in the tank. Tank is supposed to be the healthiest place for them with the natural hidey holes they want or need and the food, plus less tanks for me to deal with. Plus, the live rocks and OG fish already saw ick waaaaaay back. So even if I QTd a new fish they’d be exposed to the stuff once they go in the DT anyway. Haven’t had a problem so far, and it has seemed to me that the snake oil Kick Ick and Ruby Reef worked when they got super stressed or icky. But truth be told- I have the fish I planned for in there. Barring deaths for some reason I won’t be getting anything else, and wouldn’t right now unless I found it in a store. Just not nice shipping them in 107 degree weather 🥵🥵🥵

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Oh and vacation—- what is this??? 😳😳😳

image.gif.6693543fe94ba5e41b6dd705caa5d80f.gif

It's what people used to do circa 2019...you used to be able to shake peoples hands when you met them too. And even go out to a ball game.. it was glorious...

• Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
21 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

It's what people used to do circa 2019...you used to be able to shake peoples hands when you met them too. And even go out to a ball game.. it was glorious...

Yeah I don’t remember that far back 🤦🏽‍♀️ Like that Titanic meme...

image.gif.7be404e14e0dc707b976a281acaa01b9.gif

2019 feels like it happened 10 years ago now

ECLS Reefer

The behind the scenes section.... 

FE945659-3D80-4A63-83ED-775146E5B589.thumb.jpeg.587ea5026d7155f2e7979d8e48394191.jpeg

I’m SO FREAKING HAPPY that this time around the refugium is actually working!!!!! I’ve got a ton of pods happily living in the actually growing macro!!! 

8F8DFE85-3083-4262-80A6-E32274195F9E.thumb.jpeg.41ede467a50517a3b9189b59e0bbb96c.jpeg

Currentlh the chaeto and lettuce seems to be all I have though there’s a tiny bit of red Ogo. Just ordered some more because it’s the tangs’ second favorite meal and I discovered to my displeasure that it’s the Halloween hermits’ favorite meal. The two turds in there ate basically all of what didn’t get fed to the fish. 😡

Also, on a learning how to work this sump note, I had to move the macro to the same chamber as the skimmer. When the tank was set up, I was told it didn’t matter which chamber I had the fuge in, but evidently it really does, because I struggled with dirty, macro’d up sponges restricting flow to the return pump daily. Which messed up the ATO and salinity. Moving the macro over puts it in front of a flow-through wall, keeping it away from the return chamber and ATO sensor. So now I have stability in the salinity area as well as pump function. 

I fully expect ticker tape and confetti to fall from the heavens now and a joyful mariachi band to appear and play upbeat tunes for me in congratulations. La cucaracha will work for a start. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

Jeez this tank is very active today. My 8 year old just saved a life- he found the YWG being sniffed out by one of the cats, on the floor ☹️☹️. He grabbed him quickly and got him back in the tank, but I'm not completely sure how long the little dude was on the floor. He has been out and about in the tank today, not his norm, and his fins were a little roughed up. I suspected when I saw him this morning that he'd been booted out by the tiger pistol, because I haven't seen this dude in 45 days (which was when he went into the new tank from the transfer). So, who knows if he'll pull through. It's been a hard day for the little fish in the tank.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
ECLS Reefer

Here are the pictures of the two new guys. 

Napoleon the emperor angel is just one of the guys, he fits in perfectly with the tangs and dwarfs angels. I think they see the writing on the wall on who will win the size contest. The wrasse didn’t appear at all today so I hope he’s okay. He seemed okay yesterday, ate a bit, but went to bed early. So I hope he’s just being demanding and finicky like a typical wrasse. 

The YWG was moving around today under rocks after his attempted tank jumping suicide yesterday. Hopefully my little T man got him back in the tank in the nick of time. 

Love the tube nem! It comes and goes during the day from its tube in the sand and it really gets extended during the morning and evening. Super pretty and graceful with the whippy tentacles. The galaxea just thinks I don’t notice it’s sweepers 👀.

Oh and my lettuce algae has gone nuts suddenly with growth. Gonna have to start throwing some away because it’s the least favorite macro I try to feed the fish. They eat it but not happily. The red Ogo is growing but it got kind of decimated so I tried to order more but turns out algae barn was out. So they replaced it with Pom Pom algae which *should* be a good replacement for the ogo, and hopefully will allow the Ogo to grow back in. 

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer

Haven’t updated in a bit, but the tank is otherwise healthy. Got a few new zoa frags and they’re already growing new polyps! Fast work. Got a gorgeous new goniopora but it’s not fully extended yet- was hoping to see if it would attack the clowns out of the back corner where we never see them anymore. 

CBF265D2-A3B9-41A3-B217-0C926E31FC27.thumb.jpeg.2fe55a75d07c0f9a81d5b01e541518bc.jpeg

A94BA345-D334-46C1-A18E-ABDA9417C869.thumb.jpeg.8fe87c9a9bc254b3797d557b99a15153.jpeg

Now before someone complains about my spending habits— I had a credit for a couple of coral deaths. 

BD309E70-A433-44FC-A3D6-8265A319C281.thumb.jpeg.26e7896a24b6ebca9f5576dc2591861e.jpeg

No full tank shots at the moment because I didn’t have time for all that with the big camera, and I’m waiting on some of the technical stuff @Cannedfish used to show up to try and give his pictures a run for their money. 😉

• Like 6

Photos look great! I have improved upon my DSLR DIY photo porthole and will put together an instruction list on how it's made. It really allows for amazing top down photos.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Photos look great! I have improved upon my DSLR DIY photo porthole and will put together an instruction list on how it's made. It really allows for amazing top down photos.

dibs on the old one! 🤣

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

dibs on the old one! 🤣

Who needs a fancy tube.............. you see my photos........... :haha:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to 120g La Ville des Poissons 🐚 Well that didn’t last long 😢