Innovative Marine Aquariums

120g La Ville des Poissons 🐚 Well that didn’t last long 😢

ECLS Reefer

ECLS Reefer
Just now, Cannedfish said:

That OG OT... one of the top 5 must have acros IMO... the others ain’t too bad either...

They all showed me some PE by about 7pm this evening. Encouraging signs!

*ignore the GIANT scratch in the one picture. Still not sure how I managed to do that on a brand new tank, but alas, 'tis done ☹️*

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2136.jpeg

IMG_2137.jpeg

IMG_2138.jpeg

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2140.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2147.jpeg

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer

Couldn't get this last picture of the original SPS garden in on the post above, but here are the SPS frags I started with that have been putting on actual grown, starting new nubs

IMG_2151.thumb.jpeg.7e94ab688793cb2c06be18faa8858e37.jpeg

• Like 2
mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

They all showed me some PE by about 7pm this evening. Encouraging signs!

*ignore the GIANT scratch in the one picture. Still not sure how I managed to do that on a brand new tank, but alas, 'tis done ☹️*

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2136.jpeg

IMG_2137.jpeg

IMG_2138.jpeg

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2140.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2147.jpeg

Re: scratch. Sand gets in between your magnet shelf and glass. Shuffling the rack around is likely the main cause. So absolutely avoid the frag rack on front glass. Frags look great up close 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Re: scratch. Sand gets in between your magnet shelf and glass. Shuffling the rack around is likely the main cause. So absolutely avoid the frag rack on front glass. Frags look great up close 👍

I think I did that the first day, in the first few hours, and I think it was because a small piece of the black sand from the SCA was caught on a frag rack or the shroom box. Just a little bit of revenge for breaking it down I guess.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

You know it's disturbing how fat my hands look in those pictures with the frag bags. I promise they're really not that fat in real life. Bad camera angles. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

just sayin.................... 🤣

See the source image

ok have to say it been bugging me for a while.....................the name needs to be changed.................all I read is the garden of  herpes......................

• Sad 1
  • Haha 6
ECLS Reefer
Just now, spectra said:

just sayin.................... 🤣

See the source image

ok have to say it been bugging me for a while.....................the name needs to be changed.................all I read is the garden of  herpes......................

Okay now. The fingers weren’t THAT fat. 

Lol now I’m leaving the name because it makes me laugh *a lot* that you read it that way 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Okay now. The fingers weren’t THAT fat. 

Lol now I’m leaving the name because it makes me laugh *a lot* that you read it that way 😂😂😂😂

Yeah from day one I was like.................

giphy.gif

Have to give you crap............... glad its working out for you......................

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Weirdly made me want a hot dog. 😳🤬

Hopefully no ketchup on it................... :unsure:

• Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yeah from day one I was like.................

giphy.gif

Have to give you crap............... glad its working out for you......................

Hopefully no ketchup on it................... :unsure:

LOL it’s because the boys have been watching Percy Jackson and Clash/Wrath of the Titans 😂

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

LOL it’s because the boys have been watching Percy Jackson and Clash/Wrath of the Titans 😂

I figured it came from some TV show....... now I know. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

So I got the rocks in today, or well most of them. I couldn’t fit in about 6-7 and opted to store them just in case. I’m not sure if I'll wake up tomorrow hating this scape or

keep it. It’s not what I originally had in mind, nor what I worked out in the garage. But you know once you go to carry the rocks in and then have to incorporate the already existing rocks with grafted corals, yeah they vision didn’t happen. 

It’s kind of grown on me throughout the day, and during the tank sunset and dusk periods it actually looked pretty natural, also from across the room. So we shall see. 

I’ll take opinions, but keep in mind there were already a LOT of grafted corals in there and RFAs so I can’t remove a lot of the pre-existing rocks. 

• Like 5
ECLS Reefer

Photo dump time. 

The photo-cooperative fish

Little Harry Potter, the new Potters angel 

Coral shots

SPS shots, first five of which are the ones @mitten_reef sent me and are doing well. Did lose one this weekend but the other five are looking great!

Andromeda and Perseus the pearly jawfish pair, video especially cute of them bobbing in and out of their dens.

Anubis

Im actually happy with my rock scape at this time. It seems most importantly that the fish and coral are all happy as well, so I’ll be leaving it as is. The pocillopora came unglued and I did end up moving it to about mid tank level, still in a bright spot. The addition of the rocks did seem to leave the left end of the tank without enough flow, so I added a new IceCap 2k gyre with the WiFi controller and it’s running both gyres now in tandem, which has made a more true wave pattern. Definitely seems to have made the Kenya tree and sinularia happy. 

Also I ended up adding a second light to the refugium which is tuna blue, and the macro algae seems to legitimately be growing this time!! Especially the red Ogo! So finally I may have accomplished something towards a real refugium!

53C7EFCD-9A15-40D4-BBD5-6BCDE61ED312.thumb.jpeg.c2da7276741b0b9cded468c5509400bb.jpeg
92AEB116-EBC0-40DC-8E7D-79FE75FAE172.thumb.jpeg.5ca7df776dad52faeddd2eaa9c529b38.jpeg

61E0DFDB-2809-402F-9D4F-B9A22609F492.thumb.jpeg.f846c34b7007dd619acac2be5f62bffb.jpeg

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer

So, it's been something of a trade off week. Lost 3 SPS, one of them due to damage when it fell, one to shipping stress most likely and the other to god knows what. Also lost my gorgeous pectinia due to damage, which makes me sick. Pretty sure Carol Baskins the elegance from the Evo is dying slowly, which was why I moved her to the big tank anyway, in an attempt to save her, but seems that is a battle I'm going to lose. 

Went to the LFS yesterday to pick up my final big fish, the one I'd been waiting for, and guess what? Oh yep it died in less than 12 hours. Seems like the kind of luck I was having this week. It was a regal angel for the curious. And I almost always give a 2 hour acclimation in a quiet ice chest so they're warm, covered and unmolested. Put him in my sump like recommended to stay un molested. He never really got with the program. Complete bummer, but the good news is the dealer said he would find me another. 

Got three green chromis as well to make a small school (they're pretty much full grown chromis so who knows how long their life span will be). Chose chromis because per reading they don't require super feeding like anthias and would school like anthias do. We shall see. 

Got a gorgeous small orange/green tube anemone and a frag of galaxea, both of which look great.

Also got a small order in from Vivid of some SPS frags to replace what was lost with more color. They're all looking good. There is the *tiniest* bit of flesh left at the base of the millie I killed by scratching on the sand floor, so *maybe* it'll recover like the stag horn has, though I doubt it. There's not much, and it's the rare miracle I've seen happen in this hobby so far.

Good news today is I sold my old SCA cube, so now I can sit on a hoard of cash and dream about what to spend it on next 🤦🏽‍♀️

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Wow that was an up and down week. Sorry about the regal angle that had to hurt. Hope the elegance makes it they are so pretty, Good luck with all the new livestock. 

Thanks! The elegance came out of the Evo- it started out small and grew, looked great and then blew up like a balloon. Every day it’s still balloony. I doubt it’ll make it at this stage. Medusa the big elegance that has always been in the 120 is still doing well so there’s that. This tank has done fair as a hospital tank for corals so it was worth a shot trying to save the Evo elegance. 

We shall see about these chromis. They seemed like a good idea on paper when I was reading about them but they’re kind of spastic. 

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer

So, I'm not sure if I mentioned that when adding the new rock to the tank, I managed to drop some on my beautiful pectinia. Which of course, didn't appreciate it, and... died. 

As a consequence, I've been staring at a very dead skeleton and crying inside every day. 

So, because I'm a money spending addict, I ordered a replacement which will arrive Friday. And a zoa frag to fill in one of the ends of the tank that is completely empty. As it's Vivid nirvana, I know that stuff will grow like a weed which is a good thing- I'm not super interested in sticking anything expensive on that end of the tank which is not typically viewed by many but myself. I also got a neat looking mycedium, which will also hopefully fill in some blank area and encrust over time. And, one more SPS frag that I just kept coming back to and couldn't take my eyes off of. 

All that being said, I think I'm going to grind this spending truck to a halt, barring any future tank devastation, due to the awful Houston summer setting in. It's just too hot to bring in corals or fish until fall or winter. Plus, with the shipping situation in Houston and covid, who knows when stuff will get back to something resembling normality, so I can't even completely trust that the LFS will be able to get healthy livestock in. The tank currently looks really good, the fish seem like a good set. If I can't get a regal angel from the LFS guy, then I guess I don't. The current livestock are lively, colorful and fun to watch, so it's not the end of the world to miss out on one particular fish.

A little tank video

https://vm.tiktok.com/J8s1sny/

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
Just now, spectra said:

oh the herpes.............................

Yep. Hey man if my herpes tank keeps you coming back to look at the pictures, so be it. The gift that keeps on giving 😝😝

• Haha 5
ECLS Reefer
On 7/10/2020 at 8:33 PM, mitten_reef said:

How are things coming along with all the acros?

Just seeing this! They’re hanging on still. Was struggling with the ATO and salinity still based on placement and whatever. I think I finally fixed it tonight. *maybe*

Have the salinity hanging on ah 1.024 and the kh steady at 8.5ish. So while it hasn’t magically turned into the most badass stick garden overnight, at least everything isn’t dead 😬🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer

So went by the awesome LFS today to check on the regal angels he was getting for me to replace the one that died on me last week. The two he had looked pretty bad, and needed multiple days of stability to survive shipping, so not good choices. But he had a cute little emperor juvenile that had so much personality. So he replaced the dead regal with the little emperor. He’s doing amazing! Love this little guy. Gonna call Napoleon because he already stands up for himself against all three tangs. 

79200A2F-E527-4750-A3F4-9628B6B7B3C4.thumb.jpeg.7987cc2ff201d049a686186aa60dd9dd.jpeg

ECF1DCD6-72FD-4746-AB34-7050FFCAE479.thumb.jpeg.a5ccce6d1afaeecebd508013e62937b0.jpeg

D66B3749-595E-41AB-93AC-8324E03A2B1D.thumb.jpeg.ed956eb67abc3c0f1e4894e7cd1508ab.jpeg

He’d also gotten a big shipment of wrasses in and I couldn’t help myself seeing this great flasher wrasse. I think he’s a filamented flasher. He hid for a while (in plain sight like a goon) but popped up near sunset to swim. I think he will be fine now. 

136D5BD5-B008-44B5-8285-63055F3F75CB.thumb.jpeg.beebd095c7c6ad2dcf66654277ef1bd1.jpeg

55CFD7CB-DBB3-4BF8-8E21-E3E973CE5F6F.thumb.jpeg.22db7be919353271086402d593e19e13.jpeg
E6D9D254-7FA1-46EC-91ED-322B1CC4E04B.thumb.jpeg.7f292624533ad2cbae2075ab3d49adae.jpeg

9356E8D6-BB93-4DC7-BF89-5428FE78E4CA.thumb.jpeg.20688238a5218d2b821b8e8dc0d5cbcc.jpeg

some video of them both active- hiding and swimming 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to 120g La Ville des Poissons 🐚 Well that didn’t last long 😢