ReefCleaners.org

120g La Ville des Poissons 🐚 Well that didn’t last long 😢

ECLS Reefer

Snow_Phoenix
21 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Mr Blenny Blenn is really becoming a photo hog in my big tank. He obviously likes living on the high side of life rather than in the sump. 

319FA9F3-8E41-4F37-AA7B-2D5B20584A77.jpeg

CA788DDC-5F6D-4CD7-9401-F344CC51140D.jpeg

F227E78E-E119-48FE-815A-136CB26D94D3.jpeg

5CFE4248-1047-424D-BC6E-3736B908877C.jpeg

3B1730A6-4F5A-488D-B439-7E9BBFF2E6A1.jpeg

Quick question - how big is he now? Looks so thick and chunky! 😃

And Bastet is gorgeous! 🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
6 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Quick question - how big is he now? Looks so thick and chunky! 😃

And Bastet is gorgeous! 🥰

He's not as big as Altuve, who I assume is fully grown at this point. He's chunky and long, though it's hard to eyeball if he's maxed out at 4 or 5 inches. I'd guess that Mr BB is maybe 3-4 inches long now? He's a slimmer fish to begin with than a starry, more streamlined.

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
47 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Really beautiful photos! I need a bigger tank 😂

Thanks! I can’t wait until I can finally get the rocks in and scaped. Super tired of the huge tub in my garage but also the half empty looking tank. Have a lot of frags that haven’t got homes until I get stuff in place for them too. 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer

Pictures of Rey, the yellow coris wrasse. 

Not sure what he was saying here but I imagine it was a yell..

4A06E5CB-F436-42B8-8C8D-8D23AF4D4BB6.thumb.jpeg.75a11a4b2e0dd36635f15a5fec656b19.jpeg

10AEB731-123B-4BE1-85D6-33C32BAEB63F.jpeg

18A6B9D1-0009-4102-A0C2-1D0C60CE38CC.jpeg

975EDC1C-8459-4F94-9999-2A5E16702980.jpeg

5DD815B6-F70F-416E-8854-5BF2C272E856.jpeg

B6FBE6A6-72DC-4391-B778-853E8544B3BE.jpeg

FEB71250-E559-4761-9714-AF22845574D0.jpeg

E108B9E0-6932-4353-8600-083AF27D03AA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
ECLS Reefer

Andromeda and Perseus— on the day I took these pictures they had opted to make a den together beneath Anubis. Last night when I got home I could only find Perseus which doesn’t necessarily mean anything but was a little bit of a let down, since they weren’t both readily visible. I hope they make a successful pair. Of course they could both be dudes or females, I have no idea. I’m just hoping for them to hang out together and spit sand at each other or passerby. 

DE7BA519-6B9A-482A-9D90-6A653DD7604F.jpeg

60967953-46FB-44AF-8E85-365FB2264CB3.jpeg

68C9071D-0E49-4ABE-AB71-FB40A03F6047.jpeg

72033450-79C5-49C2-874E-8C15909E6EB3.jpeg

956144FA-EE78-4BB4-9B47-A22ADDC766C2.jpeg

A15A1310-21D4-4A3C-945E-58BAAAF51D7B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer

So, I’m just a *little* proud of my Phyto, brine and pod growing station. Of course, I’ve already run out of places to put Phyto 😂. And it’s growing in all three tanks now- when I scraped the glass tonight it was greeeeen. Guess I should prolly cut back on that a bit 😬

At any rate, have four types of Phyto- Nannochloropsis, nannocloris, dunaliela, tetraselmis. They’re all actually freaking growing!!! I know I sit here sounding like a kid in a candy shop but with how this year has gone so far, this seems like a gigantic feat- that and having my new tank take off so well. I’m daily amazed and relieved at how well all three tanks are doing. It’s always nice to have stuff you try for the first time work out. 

So, have finally gotten the sump equipped like I planned. The trigger systems ATO reservoir is inside, supported to sit on top of the refugium/return chambers of the sump. Got new felt filter socks and have researched how to clean the filthy filthy things (I imagine they’re about as dirty as @Sancho or @jack1978’s minds. Got the new media cup installed and it works well! Good water flow through it. Can’t wait to see what my test numbers look like Friday to see how well it’s working. Skimmer seems dialed in and daily churns out this disgusting fish poobutter concoction that smells abominably. Got a small fan inside now to circulate the stank air around so you don’t just get a face full of it when you open the sump doors. 🤮

Since the ATO reservoir is elevated in there I have been working on the best way to fill it without having to manhandle it out of there. Tried an oil funnel with a hose but it’s cumbersome and takes forever. Decided to just copy my trick on refilling the little tanks from water change with a teeny weeny fountain pump and hose, placed in the carrying jug. Fits perfectly inside the neck of a 5g jug, refills the tank no problem. 

Got new filter sponges of varying degrees of weave— fine/medium or coarse. Using the coarse now and it’s allowing good flow to the return chamber minus all the bubbles normally seen with filter floss. Just have to hand clean it and the socks more frequently. 

So. I feel like the tank is in a good place for when the live rock is finally done cycling, surely this week. Will have J feed some pellets and swirl it around and then will test them tomorrow night to see if they’re ready. I’m ready to get this scape done!! Get this tank really started!! 

87614C60-76BC-41B7-BF71-3CCAB3E4A8F3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I love the little station you got going there to grow stuff! I paid BRS way too much for a plastic thing to grow brine in but... it does work haha 🙂

What light do you have over the phyto?

Now you just need a white worm culture and your fish will have all the freshest foods in the land 🙂

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I love the little station you got going there to grow stuff! I paid BRS way too much for a plastic thing to grow brine in but... it does work haha 🙂

What light do you have over them?

Now you just need a white worm culture and your fish will have all the freshest foods in the land 🙂

Nah I've seen pictures of that. I draw the line at the worms, UNLESS they eat the damn fruit flies I have all over my house. Or gnats. Whichever they are they annoy the ever loving crap out of me. 

I'm excited that it's all growing. I'm not entirely sure what the heck I'm supposed to be doing, because the websites I've looked at including SeaBass's link on growing phyto, just say fertilize with F/2 but not really how often. So I've been dosing that every single day to get this culture off the ground to a far head start. And reef trace every 3 or 4 days? Just got in neophos and neonitrate to see if that stuff does anything toward making it REALLY take off and be bright green opaque like a lot of the pictures I've seen online. 

As for lights, I bought plain, self stick LED pucks like for under a counter, and with some tweaking of the system (required a 12v adapter for one) got them plugged into a day/night timer. 

I bought everything off amazon but the phyto culture plates and Guillards solution which I got from Florida Aqua Farms. Have had to replace the copepods twice because I didn't have phyto growing in time to feed them. But hopefully they'll self sustain now. 

Using 5 1g jugs with spigots, drilled holes for air line tubing and connected to air stone within the jug. Each jug has a air flow regulator. Using two tetra whisper 100 air pumps running four jugs to one air pump with tubing y connectors. Because it's freaking summer already in Houston, have these nice $20 high powered personal sized fans blowing air to circulated around the jugs so they don't overheat, and even bought a $40 personal A/C unit to run during the hottest part of the day. Everything seems to be coming together and working out! Just had to order more jugs of different sizes to split off the cultures. Maybe I can sell it, since it's all green phyto and 4 different species. I'm curious to see what the Neophos and neonitrate will do for growth.

• Like 6
ECLS Reefer

So, I survived working three shifts in a row, and didn’t see my kids for like four days (shift work with both parents gone can be a beast on families). To congratulate myself (I don’t need a heck of a lot of reason honestly), I made a couple purchases 😃👏🏼. One arrives tomorrow but isn’t much, though hopefully will add some nice color to my tank. The other arrives Friday and will again, add some color and activity to the tank 😊

Tomorrow: (Just the Forest Fire digitata for this tank. I’m debating on the zoas; I haven’t added zoas to this tank in ages but they were intended for the challenge tank.... 🤔 Decisions decisions)

94707538-D3B9-4762-A853-E00B94699902.thumb.jpeg.52210b8fc427fc3a61c41b0bc226b5a6.jpeg

And Friday:

3F5FED77-80F3-43E8-BD2A-4EFAA62DF64B.thumb.png.9208987eb247c3aad22c5f3eed0c88e0.png

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix
On 6/17/2020 at 9:43 AM, Dirté Sanchez said:

So, I survived working three shifts in a row, and didn’t see my kids for like four days (shift work with both parents gone can be a beast on families). To congratulate myself (I don’t need a heck of a lot of reason honestly), I made a couple purchases 😃👏🏼. One arrives tomorrow but isn’t much, though hopefully will add some nice color to my tank. The other arrives Friday and will again, add some color and activity to the tank 😊

Tomorrow: (Just the Forest Fire digitata for this tank. I’m debating on the zoas; I haven’t added zoas to this tank in ages but they were intended for the challenge tank.... 🤔 Decisions decisions)

94707538-D3B9-4762-A853-E00B94699902.thumb.jpeg.52210b8fc427fc3a61c41b0bc226b5a6.jpeg

And Friday:

3F5FED77-80F3-43E8-BD2A-4EFAA62DF64B.thumb.png.9208987eb247c3aad22c5f3eed0c88e0.png

Nice additions! I'm thinking of picking up a forest fire in the future, once my LFS has them back in stock. Both of my stores have very limited SPS in stock, and most of them are unhealthy, unfortunately. ☹

(Also, watch the starfish like a hawk - if it starts disintegrating for whatever reason - don't wait. Just pull it out of your system and isolate it. 👍

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
5 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Nice additions! I'm thinking of picking up a forest fire in the future, once my LFS has them back in stock. Both of my stores have very limited SPS in stock, and most of them are unhealthy, unfortunately. ☹

(Also, watch the starfish like a hawk - if it starts disintegrating for whatever reason - don't wait. Just pull it out of your system and isolate it. 👍

Yeah I saw they need a no less than 2 hour drip acclimation. I’ve got a system set up that’s been working so far, in an ice chest. Gives everyone room to move around while dripping. Hopefully it will all go smoothly. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

Got another 8oz bottle of Dr Tim’s yesterday and dosed the rock tub, trying to move this cycle along. The ammonia level was lower this last time of testing but still present, which was a bummer. Now I’ve noticed my pocillopora is receding pretty badly and I’m sure it’s because it’s not close enough to the light, as it was in the SCA. It evidently prefers being blasted in the face with it. So until I can get the new rock in and raise it up, I hope it will hang on 😬

ECLS Reefer

As promised and excitedly awaited:: the new powder brown sturgeon fish/tang and linkia blue star showed up this morning!!! I took an exceptionally long time to acclimate them in the ice chest I use, and the fish went in first. He’s doing well, but still a bit shy. At the moment they’re having their nori but he won’t approach- just hiding and making passes through the tank center. This is how the Caribbean blue tang acted as well so I expect he will get braver by the day.

The Star seems to have done well also. Spent almost 4 hours in acclimation because I had other things to do and he needed the extra time per BlueZoo. I dropped him on the sand floor and he climbed the wall in like 10 minutes flat. The husband was afraid he was going to climb out of the tank and run off! At the moment he’s settled into the high corner of the tank but he seems fine. Loving the new color brought to the tank!

Also, got a new pink bubble coral in with these guys and it’s open though not humongous. Hopefully it will do well. Got some shots of the new bubblegum digi and the scrambled eggs and iron man zoas I got Tuesday. I think I’m going to leave them in the big tank rather than move them to the Challenge tank. I haven’t added zoas in a year to this tank, and the yellows look good in there. 

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer

So many pictures of the coral in this tank!! So much learning on how to get the shots right! Apologize for the overload. 

Oh and introducing Maximus the powder brown tang officially. He’s a GORGEOUS fish!!! 🤩🤩🤩

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer

And................ the star fish is dead. Found him crumpled up at the bottom of a rock, having separated from all his feet. Was very weird. Like those sci-fi movies when people eject their skin and you're left just holding it like a sheet of human? Yep. So much for Mr Blue Linkia Star.

Like a big blue limp noodle ☹️

IMG_2126.thumb.jpeg.f099f4503c1a0182654ac71f70fdb82f.jpeg

In other news, I GOT A BOX OF GREAT GOODIES FROM @mitten_reef!!!!!!!!!!! Got six gorgeous frags from him, and almost all of them had PE in the shipping bags, with great colors too! So excited to see how well they all do-- everything has been showing such promising growth in here that I hope these will grow like rabbits!

IMG_2118.thumb.jpeg.940809c1fd76cd3ae362667ece81c632.jpeg

IMG_2119.thumb.jpeg.de8a1787285d4cb99c3ca2992d1bd6f5.jpeg

IMG_2120.thumb.jpeg.385377bd129b5c757fa492507f32d037.jpeg

IMG_2121.thumb.jpeg.9ee57bc8791bad8afb4c39fd771f5979.jpeg

IMG_2122.thumb.jpeg.be7771d0fd110805a3e7c271dd993214.jpeg

IMG_2123.thumb.jpeg.9f41798e985fff59894d850dc706a92a.jpeg

IMG_2124.thumb.jpeg.f42f8171169f0dd844b23ca2e9ccc192.jpeg

IMG_2125.thumb.jpeg.610f047f1f2ec942a8e22c57ace68520.jpeg

Also, I have AMAZING coralline growth suddenly!! It's like a sudden outbreak of purple measles all over the back wall! I'm ecstatic! 

IMG_2127.thumb.jpeg.998aa494d85e2f09bec17775e02a5866.jpeg

IMG_2128.thumb.jpeg.c0c2c6b06d341269431086d7da7716f1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

Sorry about the star but great looking frags.

Yeah the star was weird. He was moving last night, and I thought we would be good since the system has been so rock solid stable and everything is growing like crazy in there--I mean look at the coralline explosion!!! But I guess it wasn't meant to be, and he was just a time bomb like many anemones. Some things truly don't belong in a tank. ☹️

And the frags are incredible!! I'm so excited to have some of @mitten_reef's incredible corals because I know they came from a great system.

• Like 3
mitten_reef

thanks for the shoutout!   I'm so excited that they get there in such great shapes. 

But even more excited to see that they should compliment your ever-growing acro collection very well as far as colors and potential growth forms go.   at least from comparing to the frags on this side of the tank, who knows how many more you're stashing on the far wall of this behemoth of a tank.  😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
55 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

thanks for the shoutout!   I'm so excited that they get there in such great shapes. 

But even more excited to see that they should compliment your ever-growing acro collection very well as far as colors and potential growth forms go.   at least from comparing to the frags on this side of the tank, who knows how many more you're stashing on the far wall of this behemoth of a tank.  😋

The far wall is the original stuff and that rehabilitating stag horn, which has been doing well. That's where the red Indo acro, ultra millie, cherry's jubilee and all those are. Gonna have to get some more frag racks 😳. These single ones aren't super user friendly for this big tank.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

Whoop whoop!!! My rocks are ready... my rocks are ready... my rocks are... you get it! I gave it the final ammonia dose test to see what it shows tomorrow but pretty sure that with a zero ammonia count and nitrates down to 40, those babies are cycled!!!!!  Now to figure out in the world to make them look attractive. I need a rock scape interior designer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer

You know it's disturbing how fat my hands look in those pictures with the frag bags. I promise they're really not that fat in real life. Bad camera angles. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

• Haha 3
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to 120g La Ville des Poissons 🐚 Well that didn’t last long 😢