Coral Vue Hydros

120g La Ville des Poissons 🐚 Well that didn’t last long 😢

ECLS Reefer

ECLS Reefer
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Wow I am sooo sorry this happened to you. 😞 I came to check in on the Ich situation but guess it was much more sinister 😞

I use a full reef conditioning tank and observe fish for 4-6 weeks and only remove to treat disease in an actual hospital tank if I have to.

I find it works really well to keep stress levels low on delicate fish but still keep the DT safe.

I just bought 3 new fish last week but they came down with some ich so I am TTM/peroxiding them. I got them eating in the conditioning tank before the Ich got bad though so that helped. Now I will fallow that tank.

The only downside to all this is space and time...

Otherwise there are venders on humblefish forums who sell fully QT fish.

Anyways be sure to fallow your tank for 6 weeks. I would not trust rally to get it all and would just fallow.

Oh definitely will be fallowing the tank.  I'll figure something out for the Mandy. I just checked on the QT situation and the yellow tailed damsel gave me a fuc.k you look, but looks otherwise okay- I saw no signs of tachypnea. And there's one single small chromi left with him that looked okay... maybe he will pull through because of the Hail Mary dip. But then I'll have to figure out something else for the Mandy. Can at least downsize that QT if they keep doing okay. Don't need the 20g for two small fish now 😢

This brook shit sucks. Hope the UV sterilizer and time works to clean up the tank. I'm rather deeply unhappy with how the rock scape looks since I had to tear it all up to catch the fish, to the point that I just don't even want to look at it. I hope that out of all this awfulness at least the corals start to look amazing. 

Now I'm super paranoid about not cross contaminating my Evo or Challenge tank.

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer

Ended up today with three survivors. Cruiser, the female blue Mandy, the Blue Dude (YTD) and a single green chromis. Broke down the big 20g QT and cleaned out the old 5g QT tank, scrubbed it really well. They did well transferring to clean water and I treated with prazi today. May give them a touch of Rally, but after talking to both my LFS guys today they recommended the prazi now since the YTD and chromis made it through the night in very yellow Rally water last night. 

Cruiser already ate frozen, Nyos plankton and some pellets so I think she will be okay in the QT. And if not I will buy her pods. She’s my husband’s prize baby so I have to keep her happy. 

86529E35-EDAA-4371-9C89-30F732023962.thumb.jpeg.f27be789605d9bbd7f0d755e6dc47c93.jpeg80AE605B-5C6D-4CED-A69B-6E39A0D3CD5C.thumb.jpeg.146b18abc1450371bb79399aff2a5e91.jpeg471D0CF7-492F-42B8-B227-41FB0D11F25A.thumb.jpeg.e95c1cd4cc691044bccfa62fe140bab4.jpeg

This has been one hella depressing week. Picked up a couple new corals while at the LFS and I guess since that’s all that's in the tank now, it should start to look nice. But, tearing it apart to get all the fish out has taken a toll, and I’ve lost multiple SPS pieces and several montis look bad. My pretty purple/green frogspawn looks like it was smashed so I hope it pulls through and the pink bubble coral is also super angry. So, I hope everything recovers in there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, jack1978 said:

Nice job setting up the QT.

Everyone goes through this, it gets better.

I know there are ups and downs. It’s just that the downs seem to be like, abysmally down. This is the second QT- we bought an emergency 20g for the tangs but they didn’t make it, and I couldn’t handle the giant extra tank sitting around in the way. Broke it down and started up this 5g after cleaning it thoroughly to make sure there was no copper residue for the Mandy. 

I just hope that the side benefit or result of this catastrophe is a tank full of happy gorgeous coral, though it has really hurt my SPS collection. Have lost and am losing a lot

of my stick frags 😫. Will have to make those up over time. Have a long damn fallow period in front of me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
Snow_Phoenix
11 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I know there are ups and downs. It’s just that the downs seem to be like, abysmally down. This is the second QT- we bought an emergency 20g for the tangs but they didn’t make it, and I couldn’t handle the giant extra tank sitting around in the way. Broke it down and started up this 5g after cleaning it thoroughly to make sure there was no copper residue for the Mandy. 

I just hope that the side benefit or result of this catastrophe is a tank full of happy gorgeous coral, though it has really hurt my SPS collection. Have lost and am losing a lot

of my stick frags 😫. Will have to make those up over time. Have a long damn fallow period in front of me.

The downs to the hobby definitely suck all right.  😞

Have you considered using plastic bins instead of actual glass tanks to serve as QTs? Bins are lighter - easier to clean (you can drop them and they won't shatter, and you won't injure yourself either) and easier to lug around. You can get the clear-type plastic bins with little rolling wheels at the base too, and they come in various sizes, including ones that can hold up to 20G of SW or more. 

I switched over to using bins completely for my QTs - way less strenuous, and since I'm naturally clumsy, I don't have to worry about dropping it and having a piece of glass in my foot. The only disadvantage is that the 'clear' plastic is still opaque - so you can't see the fish super-clearly from the sides, but you'll still have good visual if you look from above. 

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

The downs to the hobby definitely suck all right.  😞

Have you considered using plastic bins instead of actual glass tanks to serve as QTs? Bins are lighter - easier to clean (you can drop them and they won't shatter, and you won't injure yourself either) and easier to lug around. You can get the clear-type plastic bins with little rolling wheels at the base too, and they come in various sizes, including ones that can hold up to 20G of SW or more. 

I switched over to using bins completely for my QTs - way less strenuous, and since I'm naturally clumsy, I don't have to worry about dropping it and having a piece of glass in my foot. The only disadvantage is that the 'clear' plastic is still opaque - so you can't see the fish super-clearly from the sides, but you'll still have good visual if you look from above. 

The first time we had an issue and had to QT the whole tank we used a big plastic tub, but there’s so few fish this time it didn’t seem worth it. But yeah I have a big 20g tub on standby if needed. 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
17 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The first time we had an issue and had to QT the whole tank we used a big plastic tub, but there’s so few fish this time it didn’t seem worth it. But yeah I have a big 20g tub on standby if needed. 

Take care, Holly. Wish I could be there to help you through this. I know how difficult it is to lose almost everything, and then go through it alone. There's no feeling nor word that can even describe it emotionally. 😞

Wish you all the best, and wish you good luck for the tank's recovery (and yes, it will recover - it just needs time to heal and make a comeback). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Take care, Holly. Wish I could be there to help you through this. I know how difficult it is to lose almost everything, and then go through it alone. There's no feeling nor word that can even describe it emotionally. 😞

Wish you all the best, and wish you good luck for the tank's recovery (and yes, it will recover - it just needs time to heal and make a comeback). 

Thankfully I have a tank which is heavy on LPS. I think the montis will recover but the SPS sticks are all dying. Bummer I was really stoked about how well they were doing. Considering this tank is only 2 months old I have to take what has happened with a huge grain of salt and be thankful it wasn’t a whole system crash- I have so many beautiful things left. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Still so shell shocked and bummed about my fish catastrophe 😢. And the corals are still remarkably mad at me for yanking them out of the water to catch the fish the other day. Have maybe 2-3 acros left and I don’t hold out great hope for those, and the montiporas are all bleaching as well. Those have been known to recover so it sickens me to see them like that but maybe they can come back. 

Vivid had a huge sale this weekend so I bought a whole bunch of zoas and a couple other things in the orange/ red scale. The way my rocks ended up after the great deconstruction, I have a lot of sad looking bare rock facing the front. I hope these zoas will take off like the others I have put in there. If nothing else the tank will be covered in bright colorful flowers and euphyllia and gonis/alveopora. 

I had hoped to put one or two zoa frags in my Evo but they were all packaged together and unlabeled and closed up, so I couldn’t tell them apart. Then I stupidly put them in the 120 to see if they’d open up..... contaminating them 🤦🏽‍♀️. So, no new zoas for the Evo. 

FDA660BD-7C99-404A-BD9C-C0543F63DE92.jpeg

D5FEACDC-631E-4651-85BE-C187F287B3E8.jpeg

079D187D-EAC0-44F8-910E-471576F08BE7.jpeg

217C9A06-440D-477A-8EBF-CAA2501296F5.jpeg

E51CA5E7-3931-4A03-9F1E-BC5975A7890F.jpeg

FAF711B3-C3A1-42F3-ADFD-E43B26598AA0.jpeg

1381FCBD-F737-4512-8CD7-5A8BF7F97EA6.jpeg

6132C819-7BF8-4704-BA0E-DC6484BE65CD.jpeg

• Like 4

Would you just stop.......................... :rolleyes: let the tank sit and mature a little bit..............your worse than a 5 year old when you tell them not to touch............. :biggrin: lets just let shit brew for a while and get it back on track............ :wink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

Would you just stop.......................... :rolleyes: let the tank sit and mature a little bit..............your worse than a 5 year old when you tell them not to touch............. :biggrin: lets just let shit brew for a while and get it back on track............ :wink:

Hey man. Spending coping is better than eating coping. 

I won’t promise not to buy more stuff between now and the 8 more weeks to go, but I’ll say hopefully nothing else after this. Besides if I was a little smarter and paying more attention, half of that stuff was supposed to go in the Evo and I screwed up. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Hey man. Spending coping is better than eating coping. 

True but I'm with the old timer.. 

Grove to this. What do they say . Nothing good happens in reefing fast 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Still so shell shocked and bummed about my fish catastrophe 😢. And the corals are still remarkably mad at me for yanking them out of the water to catch the fish the other day. Have maybe 2-3 acros left and I don’t hold out great hope for those, and the montiporas are all bleaching as well. Those have been known to recover so it sickens me to see them like that but maybe they can come back. 

Vivid had a huge sale this weekend so I bought a whole bunch of zoas and a couple other things in the orange/ red scale. The way my rocks ended up after the great deconstruction, I have a lot of sad looking bare rock facing the front. I hope these zoas will take off like the others I have put in there. If nothing else the tank will be covered in bright colorful flowers and euphyllia and gonis/alveopora. 

I had hoped to put one or two zoa frags in my Evo but they were all packaged together and unlabeled and closed up, so I couldn’t tell them apart. Then I stupidly put them in the 120 to see if they’d open up..... contaminating them 🤦🏽‍♀️. So, no new zoas for the Evo. 

FDA660BD-7C99-404A-BD9C-C0543F63DE92.jpeg

D5FEACDC-631E-4651-85BE-C187F287B3E8.jpeg

079D187D-EAC0-44F8-910E-471576F08BE7.jpeg

217C9A06-440D-477A-8EBF-CAA2501296F5.jpeg

E51CA5E7-3931-4A03-9F1E-BC5975A7890F.jpeg

FAF711B3-C3A1-42F3-ADFD-E43B26598AA0.jpeg

1381FCBD-F737-4512-8CD7-5A8BF7F97EA6.jpeg

6132C819-7BF8-4704-BA0E-DC6484BE65CD.jpeg

I like that mushroom. 

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I like that mushroom. 

It’s called a lava lamp. I can’t tell if it’s a ricordea or a rhodactis. Probably a recorder type. But those do well for me in there so I expect good things.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

It’s called a lava lamp. I can’t tell if it’s a ricordea or a rhodactis. Probably a recorder type. But those do well for me in there so I expect good things.

It’s nice. I need more mushrooms. I used to have several kinds but now just one.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Looks like a Yuma. Except for one type that was ugly af and wouldn’t stop dropping babies, all the ones I had tried melted away and/or floated out into oblivion 😅. Hope you have better luck, looks nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, WV Reefer said:

It’s nice. I need more mushrooms. I used to have several kinds but now just one.  

I’ve had that one branch of ricordea from the beginning and it’s started dropping babies in there, plus the big mammas are like 4 inches across now. That purple/rainbow ricordea I bought like 5-6 months ago has put out two new shrooms, so that’ll be nice when it starts cropping up around the tank- it’s a pretty one too. 

1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Looks like a Yuma. Except for one type that was ugly af and wouldn’t stop dropping babies, all the ones I had tried melted away and/or floated out into oblivion 😅. Hope you have better luck, looks nice. 

What is the difference between a Yuma and a plain ricordea?

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Well...................send me an addy and can send you a box o mush............................ :lol: just ask @jack1978

17 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I’ve had that one branch of ricordea from the beginning and it’s started dropping babies in there, plus the big mammas are like 4 inches across now. That purple/rainbow ricordea I bought like 5-6 months ago has put out two new shrooms, so that’ll be nice when it starts cropping up around the tank- it’s a pretty one too. 

Florida look like a bunch of bubbles....................there way better looking to me than a yuma.....................

• Like 2
Just now, spectra said:

Well...................send me an addy and can send you a box o mush............................ :lol: just ask @jack1978

Florida look like a bunch of bubbles....................there way better looking to me than a yuma.....................

Then I have two Florida’s and now that one Yuma. Don’t knock my pretty shroom it’s gonna be Fire one day. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I think Yuma comes from the pacific, and the other - ricordea florida - is from the Caribbean.  There are a few distinct differences.
image.jpeg.106ee3d2ab5c2bee12e60689bb7187ce.jpeg
Ricordea Yuma behaves more like traditional mushrooms, walking and dropping babies as they go. it has bubbles all the way into the center AND up the side right up to its mouth piece (nipple?). The bubbles are also a little bit more organized/patterned, if you could call it that.

image.jpeg.4c69de4fc90c9df574065f617c40cd11.jpeg
 Ricordea Florida, on the other hand, grow in clusters. The picture above is likely of one big cluster (shared the same base/foot). And they take their sweet time splitting. I have one mushroom that is a single piece, that has three mouths on it for months now.  The center and mouthpiece is smooth. 
Photos from cultivated reef. 

fine , I’ll throw a pic of my r. florida rock in here 

FF9D25D7-A041-47F3-99F2-B7B56C8BCBA0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to 120g La Ville des Poissons 🐚 Well that didn’t last long 😢