Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Hammer Not Extending? Too much light?

DyloHeath

Hello,

I recently got a new hammer coral, along with a new light (Ai Prime 16)

I placed the hammer in the substrate, the first few days were fine, the hammer was at a normal length and didn't look like it was 'shrinking'

All parameters are in check. All of the other corals are open and well.

Only two things I can think of, there is not enough flow in the corner of the tank? I have ordered a wavemaker to fix this. Or the hammer is still adjusting. Or too much light

I want to check that I'm not missing anything.

I've also recently started to does AF Amino Mix and Vitality. All other corals seem fine.

I have a 10 gallon tank Length/Width/Height (50cm x 26cm x 37cm)....... (19.6x10x14.5 inches)

I've attached the settings of my light (Ai Prime 16), it is set to 50% acclimation mode for 30 days.

20200531_192347.jpg

20200531_192343.jpg

unnamed.jpg

20200531_192339.jpg

8 hours ago, DyloHeath said:

All parameters are in check.

PO4 and NO3 levels, please?

What filtration/cleaning are you doing?

8 hours ago, DyloHeath said:

I've also recently started to does AF Amino Mix and Vitality.

What are you expecting these to do?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

PO4 and NO3 levels, please?

What filtration/cleaning are you doing?

What are you expecting these to do?

PO4 is 0.5 (im now feeding less)

NO3 is 5ppm

Filtration is a modified HOB filter with a refugium in it. Small amount of carbon, filter floss, and chaeto. (Filter floss is changed twice a week)

I clean once a week with a 20% water change, I scrape the tank walls, stir the top layer of sand, turkey baster the rocks. (I use Coral Pro Salt)

Im using AF amino and vitality as I have recently added SPS that is starting to grow very quickly, and i would like them to have strong healthy colours, and to help them grow.

Did it happen after a water change? Normally if my hammers do this its after a alk swing. And if I have them in areas of low flow they usually extend more not less

5 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Did it happen after a water change? Normally if my hammers do this its after a alk swing. And if I have them in areas of low flow they usually extend more not less

The more I think about it. It wasnt after a water change, but after adding the first drops of AF Amino and vitality .

This area of the tank has very low flow, i don't have enough flow in this tank as I've only been using the HOB filter for flow (I know you said low flow usually means more extension which is odd). I've ordered a small 240 GPH wavemaker to help. Flow might be the cause because iv'e also seen diatoms appear.

4 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

The more I think about it. It wasnt after a water change, but after adding the first drops of AF Amino and vitality .

This area of the tank has very low flow, i don't have enough flow in this tank as I've only been using the HOB filter for flow (I know you said low flow usually means more extension which is odd). I've ordered a small 240 GPH wavemaker to help. Flow might be the cause because iv'e also seen diatoms appear.

I had a problem with my tank after adding some kz additives one of which was aminos.  Not saying that had anything to do with it, but I have stopped dosing things I dont test for..

And yea get more flow but I was just saying I dont think that led to the quick shrinking ..

Oh and like your dog. Love my weimaraner 🤙😎

8 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

I had a problem with my tank after adding some kz additives one of which was aminos.  Not saying that had anything to do with it, but I have stopped dosing things I dont test for..

And yea get more flow but I was just saying I dont think that led to the quick shrinking ..

Oh and like your dog. Love my weimaraner 🤙😎

Okay thats interesting! I'll keep an eye on the hammer from now and to when I add more flow to see how things go. The hammer is actually looking very happy today. (added photo)

Thanks! Weims are the best!

I need to find away to get rid of the diatoms! Could be a flow deadspot too

20200601_172001.jpg

• Like 1

That hammer looks nice.

My answer won't help you much, but sometimes my euphyllias (got 5 different strains, including 2 hammers) tends to shrink for no apparent reasons for hours or even a day or two. 

If they act like that with no apparent reason once in a while, I would advise (over my own and very limited experience) to let them do their thing. 

If they do it over a long period (several days) or repeatedly, then there is something bothering them.