ReefCleaners.org

HELP URGENT please - salimity

GlasgowReefer

Thrassian Atoll
12 minutes ago, GlasgowReefer said:

2 snowflake clowns. Swimming about happily. Day one atm colony. As i do with all tanks with no problems. 

So what are you using to check salinity on all of your other tanks?

19 hours ago, GlasgowReefer said:

I would also like to know where you read the freshly mixed only for hanna? every YouTube video I see its dipped in tank and perfect, and even hanna says measure right in the tank. I will defo test out the above though once calibration fluid comes for refractometer

Thanks again everyone 🙂

I read that on the internet, so it HAS to be true... I can't remember, but perhaps it was on Hannah's website under support, or possibly on bulkreefsupply reviews.

My experience was the same as yours, the tank water never was able to be tested with the Hannah salinity checker.  It was far off from my refractometer. So I ordered some fluid, and tested with RO/DI, which was spot on at 0. When I got the calibration fluid, the refractometer read 35 perfect. Can't remember what the Hannah was, but it measured much higher, even after a couple times calibrated with the fluid packets. When I tested freshly mixed saltwater with the Hannah, it was pretty close to 35. 

• Like 1

Just be careful with the calibration fluid, I don't think it lasts too long.  It has messed me up 2x.  I find it lasts maybe 6 months.  I put the date on the bottle when I get it.  I check with RO water every now and then. Actually, after the last time the fluid messed me up, I have only used RO water.   

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, sadie said:

Just be careful with the calibration fluid, I don't think it lasts too long.  It has messed me up 2x.  I find it lasts maybe 6 months.  I put the date on the bottle when I get it.  I check with RO water every now and then. Actually, after the last time the fluid messed me up, I have only used RO water.   

Me too.

I noticed it's when you get to about 1/4 of the bottle left when it no longer is accurate.

I now use both rodi and calibration fluid just to be safe.

• Like 1
GlasgowReefer

So unfortunately the hanna was accurate and my refractometer was off. Used two little fishies calibration fluid. Set it to 35 and then tested water and 40is the max on refractometer. Thats where it had sat. Hanna checker showed 41.2. 

just went to make water for tomorrow (using whats left of top off tank the now to slowly bring it down )

tds is showing 340 in each 25l barrel from LFS could genuinely cry its not went off to a good start this past week lol 

You need to get the salinity down. TDS in your mixing water is more of a problem with corals- assuming you just have fish, it should be OK. I had a FOWLR (with shrimp, even) for a couple years on pure tap water, and the fish did just fine. 

GlasgowReefer

Yeh il manage to bring it down enough with the few litres i have in the top off bucket. The other 50 litres il bin. Clean the barres with vinegar n hope to get more tomorrow. I need a few more pieces to arrive from china to get my rodi up and running with handful of extra turn valves.