GlasgowReefer

HELP URGENT please - salimity

GlasgowReefer

So i set up my Nano tank and have fish in it 2 clowns who seem happy. Started with atm colony for bacteria. 

my red sea refractometer out of the box ive mixed to 35ppt 

i just got a hanna salinity checker - calibrated (twice because of reading) and its coming out at 46ppt !!! What do i do. Which do i read as true. Im terrified i lose the fish. 

cant get to a fish shop to have water tested by them till monday now. 

Tired

If the Hanna is calibrated, and the Red Sea is not, then the Hanna is accurate. You need to get the salinity down. You should do that by doing SMALL water changes, where you replace a bit of the water from the tank with fresh water. No salt. Do that until the salinity is normal.

How did you calibrate the Hanna? Have you tried calibrating the Red Sea? 

How big is the tank? 

GlasgowReefer

Its a fluval evo 13.5

i kNow it says not to be used on refractometer. But i put some of the solution on the refractometer there and it says 10ppt if that has any sort of accuracy. Again i know it says not for use but thought id try and say what it was reading incase it helped my case here

GlasgowReefer

Woops. I used the 2 packs of salinity calibration in the hanna checker. Brand new from amazon. Red sea refractometer was just out the box no calibration by me. 

GlasgowReefer

Only reason i trusted refractometer was it says on the back of the box calibrated for bla bla just assumed it would be right. And not have to buy anything with it. For example hanna comes with solutions to calibrate. 

Clown79

Before you do anything, the hanna checker has a lot of reviews of inaccurate salinity readings even with calibration.

So it's not a guarantee that hanna is correct.

I would double check the refractometer with rodi and calibration fluid.

If the rodi water reads 0 and you are using new calibration fluid and the refractometer reads 35ppt, I'd believe the refractometer.

If you don't have proper refractometer calibration fluid the rodi alone is fine. If its reading 0, then it's fine.

• Like 3

Thrassian Atoll

How long has the tank been running?  

GlasgowReefer
16 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Before you do anything, the hanna checker has a lot of reviews of inaccurate salinity readings even with calibration.

So it's not a guarantee that hanna is correct.

I would double check the refractometer with rodi and calibration fluid.

If the rodi water reads 0 and you are using new calibration fluid and the refractometer reads 35ppt, I'd believe the refractometer.

If you don't have proper refractometer calibration fluid the rodi alone is fine. If its reading 0, then it's fine.

Should it be on the zero line? I put rodi water on and its further down than 0

i have just turned the dial to get it to 0 on the line. 

checked water and its not at 32ish ppt but i removed about 3/4 litres earlier. So would u say hanna is still wrong ? 

also the tanks been running 3 days

GlasgowReefer

Ive just sean a review from a week or so ago on amazon (where i bought it) saying the exact same thing except his was 15ppt LOWER 

damn. I wish i just didnt panic and expect this to be better than the refractometer

unsure what to do now

Seea

Was it cycled?

Fryguy0201

If your refractometer is calibrated properly now (still reading 0 with RODI) rely solely on that for now and just get your salinity to where it needs to be, slowly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GlasgowReefer
5 minutes ago, Seea said:

Was it cycled?

As stated in my first post. Used atm colony as i always do with new tanks. Unsure what a cycled tank has to do with the salinity fo both checkers tho. 

Fish were happy and swimming around. So im going to assume the hanna checker was off and not the red sea refractometer now that ive seen a few reviews and also set the refractometer to 0 with rodi water. 

• Like 1

Clown79
29 minutes ago, GlasgowReefer said:

As stated in my first post. Used atm colony as i always do with new tanks. Unsure what a cycled tank has to do with the salinity fo both checkers tho. 

Fish were happy and swimming around. So im going to assume the hanna checker was off and not the red sea refractometer now that ive seen a few reviews and also set the refractometer to 0 with rodi water. 

The reason they are asking is because if there is no livestock, there is no real rush on correcting it or correcting the salinity quickly will effect nothing.

If the refractometer when you calibrate with rodi is reading 0, its calibrated, therefore I'd go with what it says.

I'd definitely get refractometer calibration fluid and calibrate with both rodi and the fluid. That ensures its correct.

• Thanks 1

GlasgowReefer
13 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The reason they are asking is because if there is no livestock, there is no real rush on correcting it or correcting the salinity quickly will effect nothing.

If the refractometer when you calibrate with rodi is reading 0, its calibrated, therefore I'd go with what it says.

I'd definitely get refractometer calibration fluid and calibrate with both rodi and the fluid. That ensures its correct.

Done thank you so much. Didn’t mean to sound like an ass in any replies. Just panicked due to having fish And worrying id lose them. My daughter would be devastated. 

Clown79
1 hour ago, GlasgowReefer said:

Done thank you so much. Didn’t mean to sound like an ass in any replies. Just panicked due to having fish And worrying id lose them. My daughter would be devastated. 

You didn't sound like an ass.

We all go into a mode when shit goes wrong with our tanks.

I went through it a couple weeks ago, actually it was my salinity too

Garf

The Hannah salinity checker should only be used to test saltwater mix freshly made with 0 TDS RO/DI water. 

The solids in the reef tank throws off the electrical conductivity and will give false readings. Calibrate the refractometer, and use that to test a freshly mixed batch of water, then use the Hannah to test the same freshly mixed water.  

Edit: I'd love to see your results for:

Refractometer Fresh mix:

Refractometer Tank:

Hannah Fresh mix:

Hannah Tank:

• Like 1

GlasgowReefer

I will do this on monday and update on tuesday. Im waiting for calibration fluid. Tomorrow hopefully but probs be monday. 

GlasgowReefer
7 hours ago, Garf said:

The Hannah salinity checker should only be used to test saltwater mix freshly made with 0 TDS RO/DI water. 

The solids in the reef tank throws off the electrical conductivity and will give false readings. Calibrate the refractometer, and use that to test a freshly mixed batch of water, then use the Hannah to test the same freshly mixed water.  

Edit: I'd love to see your results for:

Refractometer Fresh mix:

Refractometer Tank:

Hannah Fresh mix:

Hannah Tank:

I would also like to know where you read the freshly mixed only for hanna? every YouTube video I see its dipped in tank and perfect, and even hanna says measure right in the tank. I will defo test out the above though once calibration fluid comes for refractometer

Thanks again everyone 🙂

Tired

One thing you could always do, is a lot of water changes with freshly mixed water that you know is the right salinity. If you slowly replace all the water with 35ppt saltwater, that will make sure the tank water is 35ppt, no matter what it was before. 

Clown79
22 hours ago, GlasgowReefer said:

Is the tank cycling with no livestock in it?

patback

Fwiw the hanna salinity cjecker NEVER calibrated for me. It held steady but would always be 1.04 something when everything else i used told me 1.026. 

Awesome idea, but a terrible execution by them,especially for the price.    

• Like 1

GlasgowReefer
50 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Is the tank cycling with no livestock in it?

2 snowflake clowns. Swimming about happily. Day one atm colony. As i do with all tanks with no problems. 

GlasgowReefer
11 minutes ago, patback said:

Fwiw the hanna salinity cjecker NEVER calibrated for me. It held steady but would always be 1.04 something when everything else i used told me 1.026. 

Awesome idea, but a terrible execution by them,especially for the price.    

Hoping it does just suck and my fish were in a perfect 35ppt from the start. It sucks it doesnt work. But for fish sake id prefer it. Fingers crossed. Either way its spoiled the taste for me. Thinking of sticking with refractometer and calibration fluid if that turns out correct

GlasgowReefer

This time tomorrow i will post an update after using calibration fluid on refractometer when itL get home from work. (Uk times)

Fryguy0201

I will say I had my refractometer in storage for three years and it stayed calibrated. I bought new fluid to check and checked with RODI water and it was right on the dot. 

• Thanks 1