ReefCleaners.org

red digi struggling

errand

This red digi frag I've had about 4 weeks. When I got it from LFS it looked a bit straggly, very bright polyps but no skin to speak of over the skeleton [not sure what they are supposed to look like].

The other sps seem to be growing, encrusting and doing great so far, this one I'm not sure about. 

It looks like it might have grown a little bit on the white tips but it just doesn't look very healthy? Its a strange boney looking thing, not fat and fluffy. 

it does have a bit of shadowing as its right up the top of the tank, i have two ai prime hds angled slightly inward trying to minimise the shading.

its up high getting about 270 par, flow is ok i think but also could be better.

65L tank [20gallons?]

parameters are quite stable although i only test phosphate every 4 weeks.

alk - 9.4

ph - 8.2-8.5

mag  - 1300

phosph - .08

nitrate - 10.95ppb [seneye]

calcium 485 ish

temp - between 24 and 25

salinity 1.026

freshly glued into place 28 april, not really good looking back then either.

20200428_135621.thumb.jpg.5d2d8da2848e49680a8ac9bec4ff0af8.jpg

close up today 29 May. i can kind of see skin near the tips, but still looks kind of boney and unhappy 😞

20200529_125944.thumb.jpg.b7ea939ace041c41ebf971e4d3029957.jpg

Oh right. The poor thing has never looked like that. 

Should I move it to say, less light? or move it in the path of one of the pumps?? Its kind of hanging in there its not dead although it looks like it. 

Clown what are your parameters and light like for that guy?? Its beautiful btw

It is not dead and if you keep moving it around it will stress it out more. I think it needs more time to recover and establish.

• Like 1

ok thanks I'll just leave it be and keep a watch on it. I saw a picture of the mother colony, and it was a fresh cut frag when I bought it, so it has only been off the mother colony about 5 or 6 weeks in total. 

10 hours ago, errand said:

Oh right. The poor thing has never looked like that. 

Should I move it to say, less light? or move it in the path of one of the pumps?? Its kind of hanging in there its not dead although it looks like it. 

Clown what are your parameters and light like for that guy?? Its beautiful btw

This picture is from a few yrs ago just after I got it and it started growing.

The monti has actually gone through a bit.

It was moved to a tank and I accidentally broke it during transfer. I had 2 small pieces but after a few months it has quadrupled in size.

Yours isn't dead it just isn't fully extended. There is still colour and the tips where no colour is usually indicated growth.

I have kept mine under moderate and direct light. It's done good under both. It's in decent flow, not direct flow, mine didn't like that.

My alk is 8.4, ca 430, 1.026, my phos the last time I checked was 0.13, nitrates 2

I attached a pic of it now. They are pretty resilient

20200529_135439.jpg

• Wow 1

I like to start new corals on the sandbed for the first week to get used to your tank and lights, after that I would move it up to the rocks but sometimes starting it off at a area of high par will shock and stress them out.  

Far out. I just caught my little coral goby nibbling on it. He perches in all the sps frags all day long, moving from one to the other. But he was totally nibbling/nipping! I shone the torch in when the lights went out. He also went to the echinata and started nibbling down one of the branches. 😞 oh i love that little fish but what a fathead omg. I'll have to move him to the other tank.

I never saw him eating them before! he was just all cute hanging out in the branches!