Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

No more micro decorators?

Tired

I keep checking back to see if y'all have any micro decorators in stock, and this time I don't see the listing for them. Do you expect to not get any more in? 

• Like 2

I'll tell you right now, I'm getting one as soon as you have them back in stock. $5 is a steal

Do you have any idea if they can be kept in the same tank as other micro decorators? If you got multiple in, I'd be mighty tempted to try two. 

(Gotta say, I was bracing myself for the reply to that to be "no, I don't think I'll have any more". Woulda been mighty disappointed, these are probably one of my favorite aquarium creatures.) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tired said:

I'll tell you right now, I'm getting one as soon as you have them back in stock. $5 is a steal

Do you have any idea if they can be kept in the same tank as other micro decorators? If you got multiple in, I'd be mighty tempted to try two. 

(Gotta say, I was bracing myself for the reply to that to be "no, I don't think I'll have any more". Woulda been mighty disappointed, these are probably one of my favorite aquarium creatures.) 

Save some for me toooo

Don't worry, I won't hog 'em! I assume only one or two would be found at a time, and if that's the case, I'd just get one. If half a dozen or so are ever in stock, though? Might grab 2. 

How many do you tend to have in stock at a time? Last time I saw one in stock, it was before the (excellent) site remodel that gives number of things in stock. 

Also, just noticed they do still have a listing. I didn't see you have an "out of season" section. My bad. 

• 5 weeks later...
johnmaloney

🙂 OK, so the rain stopped a little bit ago but I had some other adventures to go on before that. But they are back. I have lots so if they go out  of stock on the website just let me know and I will post more. I have them running around in some algae so it is hard to count them up and I low sided the inventory instead.

Now to the adventures - one of them  turned out to be an amazing spot far up river where for some unknown reason it is saline enough to support an impressive coral reef inside of the Indian River Lagoon. Big Ivory Coral heads and lots of porites. Thick with BIG angelfish pairs. One unpaired Queen Angelfish was 15 inches long (or so she wouldn't stay still for the tape measure and kept swimming away) I thought fresh water releases over the last decade have wiped out all of these environments, they wiped out all the ones I was previously aware of, but this one is 4 miles up river and fine. Weird! Lots of groupers too, no luck on new and exciting inverts though.

(Our rivers and inlets are largely man made and were naturally fresh and brackish environments before development of the Intracoastal Waterway)

• Like 4

Oh, excellent! I've ordered two (and a mime crab!), along with some macros for them to perch on. Could you take a whack at sending a male and female? I forgot to ask in the little order note. 

That sounds really cool. Did you take any pictures? 

You could always try bringing a lure, to get a closer look at the angels. Obviously you don't want to leave it dangling to attract anything, but you could take a shiny metal object like a fishing line swivel, or one of those wiggly worm-with-a-curved-tail lures, on a bit of string. I did that in Hawaii and got some amazing pictures of various fish pecking at the lure. Pufferfish in particular are really interested in shiny things. 

johnmaloney

Thank you!

No, I did not. I am going to get another camera though and give it another try in the future.

They are very tiny, I don't think the shipping team could unfortunately.

Thank you for the tip! I will have to remember that. I have a small silver spoon lure they may like just put it on the bottom of the dive flag. 🙂

• Like 1

That's fair. I guess I have, what, a 50% chance at a pair anyway, if the sex ratio is roughly 1:1? And I'll make sure to have multiple areas of macroalgae so they don't have to hang out with each other. At least they probably can't do much to hurt each other if they do squabble, what with those little claws. 

Oh, that spoon could definitely work. Shiny things tend to get the attention of fish because they look like the underbelly of a minnow-shaped fish, and normally you don't see the underbelly flashing and reflecting unless said minnow has something wrong with it. Shiny things say "hey, this might be food" to fish, so they'll come over and check it out. You just want to not be holding said shiny thing if there are toothy creatures in the water around you, as some fish will come and check it out at a very fast speed, using teeth. 

On 7/3/2020 at 5:05 AM, johnmaloney said:

🙂 OK, so the rain stopped a little bit ago but I had some other adventures to go on before that. But they are back. I have lots so if they go out  of stock on the website just let me know and I will post more. I have them running around in some algae so it is hard to count them up and I low sided the inventory instead.

Now to the adventures - one of them  turned out to be an amazing spot far up river where for some unknown reason it is saline enough to support an impressive coral reef inside of the Indian River Lagoon. Big Ivory Coral heads and lots of porites. Thick with BIG angelfish pairs. One unpaired Queen Angelfish was 15 inches long (or so she wouldn't stay still for the tape measure and kept swimming away) I thought fresh water releases over the last decade have wiped out all of these environments, they wiped out all the ones I was previously aware of, but this one is 4 miles up river and fine. Weird! Lots of groupers too, no luck on new and exciting inverts though.

(Our rivers and inlets are largely man made and were naturally fresh and brackish environments before development of the Intracoastal Waterway)

I had the last 6 micros in my cart and left for 3 minutes to check my bank balances and I came back to the notification that they sold out in those 3 minutes 😭😭😭

• Sad 3

Oh wow, 6? Let me know how that many do.

I have a thread about them here, and would welcome any info you get out of yours. 

• Thanks 1