Innovative Marine Aquariums

Invasive Coral Tank

Sandy Andy

Sandy Andy

Could I have a nano 10 gallon tank with xenia, clove polyps, Kenya tree coral, and star polyps and maybe a little bit of macroalgae? I could separate each of them on their own island. I am purposely going for easy-to-grow corals here.

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes

Yeah, for sure. You should look at @Islandoftiki's pest tank. It was just a couple of gallons, but was similar to what you're going for. He had a mantis in his, which is awesome, but can be skipped if that's not your thing.

Just know that when dealing with "invasive", fast-growing corals and macros, you'll be doing quite a bit of pruning and trimming to keep things in check.

Chriss Fishes

Mushrooms would do fine.

I find that it's less about GPH and more about the style of flow. A Maxi-Jet powerhead, for example, will have a thin nozzle and a super narrow output of flow. A Koralia pump will have a wide, gentle flow pattern. I'd go for the latter.

• Like 1
Frag Factory

All of those will live with each other without much issues, they are good hardy corals.

@HarrisonAquatics is exactly right about flow, it's not how much it's what type. Aim for 10-20x of good wide laminar flow. A hang on back filter or modern stream powerhead will do this.

• Thanks 1
Sandy Andy

Ok. I doubt my LFS (local fish store) has all of those corals. I am just trying to think of multiple options so they can have at least a few of the ones on my wish list. What about snowflake corals, like the ones that have been on the news because they keep taking over other corals in reefs in Hawaii?