Pod Your Reef

what is an invert that is good for eating diatoms

Clownfish king

Clownfish king

At the moment I have a diatom problem (new tank) and have an astrea eating it but not fast enough. I also scrub at it with a tooth brush for my aquariums. I checked my levels and everything is fine. So I just want to know what inverts will help with this problem? Also no I am not over feedin because I feed my clown twice a day and he eats it all (small portions because no other fish in it yet) and what ever is left goes to my jumbo nassarius.

In addition to Astraea snails, Trochus, Nerite, Dwarf Cerith snails are common diatom eaters (as well as others).  However, diatoms will consume the available silica and eventually die out on their own, so little is needed to control diatoms long-term.  As Cannedfish suggested, you can vacuum them out too.

• Like 2

Turbo snail will mow through those diatoms on the rocks. It's pretty awesome to watch them work on it..

Like everyone else said this will be gone as soon as the silicates are taken up.. made me think the last time I started a tank.  I was wondering if I cleaned the diatoms less would they go away quicker bc they are consuming silcates 🤔🤔🤔

On 5/27/2020 at 7:46 AM, Clownfish king said:

I checked my levels and everything is fine.

...you say based on what?  😉

Can you post all your most recent test results?  Especially no3 and po4.

A brief history on the tank and how it's set up and running as well as some photos of the tank and algae would all be helpful. 

14 hours ago, Clownfish king said:

I’m not good at this but 0.001ppm for nitrates and phosphate

Very close to zero, or possibly even actually zero when we consider accuracy and precision.

Not helpful in a brand new tank where demand for dissolved nutrients should be pretty high.

If you accidentally stop green algae from blooming due to lack of resources, you might also prompt a dinoflagellate bloom....which is like a diatom bloom that never goes away.

Reverse course on the zero-nutrients....remove any extra filtration that you can for starters....if you can, feed a little more.  Try not to overfeed though...waste food in the system doesn't really help anything.

• Like 1
Clownfish king
On 6/2/2020 at 8:22 AM, Diamonds x Pearls said:

You could get trochus snails.

How new is this tank?

Not including cycling about 4 months maybe