Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish eating bristle worms? Possibly?

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Hey everyone. I've had this goby for probably close to a year, and I've seen him get bristles by his mouth before. But this time, the inside of his lips look like they COULD have bristles on them? Or it's something else. The bottom of his jaw also seems swollen. I'm pretty sure he was fine yesterday. And I offered food today and he was interested and took some. 

I can also see some fibrous-looking hairs on the inside of the top lip. 

I did a water change on Sunday as I do every week. 

The only new thing I've added recently was a SPS frag, but I took the plug off before putting it in my tank. 

Only other live stock are hermits, snails, and an urchin. 

These aren't the best photos, but do you think he just got a mouth full of bristles or is this something more? Thank you! 😞IMG_5443.thumb.JPG.9e9dbda6e9647785e2287faa785c03c2.JPG

IMG_5488.thumb.JPG.b58b43c492b0fa1388e6e503b60646c7.JPG

Humblefish

Hard to tell for sure, but if it starts looking inflamed treat with ABX. IME; Furan-2 + Seachem Sulfaplex (or API Triple Sulfa) works best on mouth infections.

5 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Hard to tell for sure, but if it starts looking inflamed treat with ABX. IME; Furan-2 + Seachem Sulfaplex (or API Triple Sulfa) works best on mouth infections.

Thank you. I'll keep a close eye on it. Hoping that it's like the last few times.. 

@Humblefish he seems to be fine today! No more whiteness and he can close his mouth. So weird.. maybe he just bit something.

thank you so much for your help again! From me and my goby.

D7A6416B-19B6-4475-8C4B-46BCEC98EACA.jpeg

18736FCF-FA96-4511-B7D6-30CCBE95A7E7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

My Neon Dotty Back eats them all the time. Every now and then, he gets a big one. I’ve seen the Bristles sticking out of him through the skin below and back from his mouth. Day or two later, he’s fine. Also he thinks he’s an Engineer Goby, pulls sand out from under my live rock, and will deposit it far away. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DSA65PRO said:

My Neon Dotty Back eats them all the time. Every now and then, he gets a big one. I’ve seen the Bristles sticking out of him through the skin below and back from his mouth. Day or two later, he’s fine. Also he thinks he’s an Engineer Goby, pulls sand out from under my live rock, and will deposit it far away. 

They're so strange lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

Mine does the same thing..... I posted a video a few weeks ago of her with a face full of bristles. She also like to dig around the pistol shrimps lair which is going to get her in trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1