ReefCleaners.org

IM 10g Fusion, New Beginnings!

BakeTownFF

BakeTownFF
Just now, DreC80 said:

The only time I had micro bubbles in the Nuvo 30l was from the skimmer...but you aren't running a skimmer.  I'm thinking they'll probably go away as the tank matures and builds up some slime, etc.  

The only thing I can think of is the return chamber water being too low...but that shouldn't be an issue once you get the ATO added.

I've been running it about an inch below the drop off, its occasional when its at that level and if it gets any lower its just constant

BakeTownFF
6 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

What about increasing the water level there so it's just slightly lower than the chamber it's coming from?

Yeah that's my next thought once I get the ATO, I'll bump it up just shy of the lip and see how that goes

That's the only thing I can think of unless the pump is somehow pulling in air...but I doubt that's the case.

I keep my CVue 18 gallon right at the lip so there is a slight drop off.  Figured the more water volume in the tank the better.

growsomething

My 3rd chamber water level is 1/4" to 3/4" below 2nd chamber.  I've had my rfg nozzle suck air from the surface when running filterless, which drops the display waterlevel.  A little twisting moves the offending rfg slot (i guess) the right angle away from the surface and it stops.  Not sure if you ended up getting one or the spinstream.

BakeTownFF
8 hours ago, growsomething said:

My 3rd chamber water level is 1/4" to 3/4" below 2nd chamber.  I've had my rfg nozzle suck air from the surface when running filterless, which drops the display waterlevel.  A little twisting moves the offending rfg slot (i guess) the right angle away from the surface and it stops.  Not sure if you ended up getting one or the spinstream.

I've got it sitting about 1/4" below the 2nd chamber now and the ATO is set up so hopefully it stays right there or close to it.  I haven't seen any clear instructions on the float switch for the Tunze Nano ATO and how far up or down it triggers on/off.  I did end up going with the RFG from Vivid, it really does a good job at moving a good amount of water pretty randomly.  I had it suck in a tiny bit of air when it was first going and the level was coming back up from the pump being stopped, but since then no issues.

BakeTownFF

Ok, so it's been about 2.5 weeks since I got the tank up running.  Ammonia has leveled out to 0, Nitrites are dropping and currently 0.5ppm and nitrates are somewhere between 10 and 20 ppm, my eyes couldn't pick definitely one color or the other on the card in the Red Sea test kit.  Today I noticed what I think is some diatom algae beginning to grow.  I haven't been running the lighting any longer than it takes to mess around with the color.  It's been a while but I remember keeping the lighting off can help in this stage I think?  Anything I should be doing at this point or just keep letting it ride?  At what point should I do a partial water change and think about adding some livestock or inverts?  Thanks in advance. 

Here's a shot of the algae showing up.

IMG_5837.jpg

I checked my levels today...Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, Nitrates are still 10-20 somewhere in there the colors don't match up exactly.  Should I do a water change?