Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM 10g Fusion, New Beginnings!

BakeTownFF

BakeTownFF

So I've been out of the hobby for 10 years or so, but constantly lurking on here.  I've always been drawn to the IM Nuvo Fusion line and they've been running 15% off so I just said what the heck finally and bought one. I've kept a JBJ 12g cube before and had pretty good success with that, but had to shut it down when I moved out and got settled in a career.  Ideally I have a 200-250g tank planned in our house, but we have to finish landscaping before that realistically takes place.  So the 10g will have to scratch the itch for now, plus our son just turned 1 and he's really curious about things now and I like the idea of him having it to gaze at.  Anyway, here's a run down of what I have going so far...

IM Fusion 10g 

Mightyjet return pump

CustomCaddy media basket with the fiber balls, GFO and Carbon

Aqueon 50W Heater

10lbs live sand

10ish lbs dry rock

So I live rurally in a town with limited options for things.  I was able to get RO/DI mixed saltwater at my LFS, however it was 1.030sg, so I had to lower it down with RO/DI, currently at 1.025sg.  I was really unimpressed with the LFS, poor selection of equipment, really dirty store, the saltwater SG being off bugged me and no test kits.  So the tank has been up and running and cycling since 5/21 and I should have my RedSea test kit by tomorrow or Wednesday.  I have another LFS about 45 minutes away, but haven't had a chance to go down there yet.  Here are a few things I'm still in need of or debating...

-Lighting, leaning towards Kessil A80 Tuna Blue

-ATO, not sure here.  Recommendations?

-Skimmer?  Yes no?  Limited space in the back of the tank so I'm not sure what the best plan is here.  Any thoughts on the filter sock versus the media caddy in the first compartment?

(I apologize if this seems disorganized, im chasing my son around the house while I type this).

I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes on. Thanks!

IMG_5652.thumb.jpg.b5b361148eb18244f632f408c2e89ef8.jpg

IMG_5654.thumb.jpg.5edc730e9f41a9878b32a75f418a98c7.jpg

IMG_5655.thumb.jpg.69e2a6f1ea0876da6b6ae152c646f626.jpg

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes

Welcome back!

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'm a fan of the Nuvo Fusion tanks as well, although I've always stuck to cheaper, more standard tanks myself. Yours looks great, though!

1) I think for lighting, the A80 would be a fine choice. I've got no experience with it personally, but I don't think I've ever seen a downright bad review. I'd also look into other options, such as the Aquaknight A029 (what I'm using on my 10 gallon, and although it's new, I'm loving the color!), PAR 38 Bulbs (they're kinda janky on principle, but can look professional if done well and provide great results as far as amount of light), or maybe a Mars Aqua Black Box. There's a ton of choices, and it comes down to what you want to keep, and your preferences on color and cost.

2) I'd look into the Duetto ATO. It's the one I plan on getting for my 10, when the budget is available.

3) I'd say no skimmer. It's pretty easy to run a tank without one, you just end up doing more water changes to make up for it. In a 10 gallon, as long as you're not going crazy with fish stocking, that's no big deal - a gallon or two of water changed per week is usually sufficient. I have no opinion on the first compartment, although I feel like I've seen more people use the caddy rather than the sock.

I have the auto aqua smart ato micro on my 18 gallon tank.  Has worked flawlessly so far.  It beeps letting you know if your ato container is empty.  Very small profile and comes with everything you need minus the reservoir of course.

I think in a 10 gallon you can get away with no skimmer.  Just keep up on water changes.  Most folks on here seem to ditch the filter sock for some type of media basket and run floss.

The AI Prime seems to be the light of choice for a lot of builds, but the A80 could work depending on the corals you want.  

Tank looks good so far.

I literally  just broke my IM10 down yesterday after an upgrade - it's a wonderful tank, you're in for a treat!

You'll definitely want an ato. I second the Auto Aqua Smart ATO Micro. I used it for the life of my IM10 and it performed flawlessly. I think you can skip the skimmer for now. If you end up feeding super heavy and need the extra nutrient export, you can always get one down the line. I'd also go with filter floss over the sock - in such a small tank, it will keep the tank cleaner if you're able to toss the floss every few days and it's way easier than dealing with filter socks. With the media basket you'll also be able to run additional filter media if you need to.

Would you get the controller for the A80?

Also, if you want a flow randomizer, check out the VCA Random Flow Generator. Better than the IM SpinStream imho.

The tank looks great!

BakeTownFF
2 hours ago, HarrisonAquatics said:

Welcome back!

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'm a fan of the Nuvo Fusion tanks as well, although I've always stuck to cheaper, more standard tanks myself. Yours looks great, though!

1) I think for lighting, the A80 would be a fine choice. I've got no experience with it personally, but I don't think I've ever seen a downright bad review. I'd also look into other options, such as the Aquaknight A029 (what I'm using on my 10 gallon, and although it's new, I'm loving the color!), PAR 38 Bulbs (they're kinda janky on principle, but can look professional if done well and provide great results as far as amount of light), or maybe a Mars Aqua Black Box. There's a ton of choices, and it comes down to what you want to keep, and your preferences on color and cost.

2) I'd look into the Duetto ATO. It's the one I plan on getting for my 10, when the budget is available.

3) I'd say no skimmer. It's pretty easy to run a tank without one, you just end up doing more water changes to make up for it. In a 10 gallon, as long as you're not going crazy with fish stocking, that's no big deal - a gallon or two of water changed per week is usually sufficient. I have no opinion on the first compartment, although I feel like I've seen more people use the caddy rather than the sock.

Thanks!  I'll check into those lighting options and ATO.  I too have noticed more people using the caddy with a variety of media in there.

2 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I have the auto aqua smart ato micro on my 18 gallon tank.  Has worked flawlessly so far.  It beeps letting you know if your ato container is empty.  Very small profile and comes with everything you need minus the reservoir of course.

I think in a 10 gallon you can get away with no skimmer.  Just keep up on water changes.  Most folks on here seem to ditch the filter sock for some type of media basket and run floss.

The AI Prime seems to be the light of choice for a lot of builds, but the A80 could work depending on the corals you want.  

Tank looks good so far.

Thanks for the tips, ill check out the aqua smart.

I should have mentioned in my original post that the AI prime was an option I'm considering too, the price point of the A80 is deceiving with the bracket not being included.

1 hour ago, Operaman said:

I literally  just broke my IM10 down yesterday after an upgrade - it's a wonderful tank, you're in for a treat!

You'll definitely want an ato. I second the Auto Aqua Smart ATO Micro. I used it for the life of my IM10 and it performed flawlessly. I think you can skip the skimmer for now. If you end up feeding super heavy and need the extra nutrient export, you can always get one down the line. I'd also go with filter floss over the sock - in such a small tank, it will keep the tank cleaner if you're able to toss the floss every few days and it's way easier than dealing with filter socks. With the media basket you'll also be able to run additional filter media if you need to.

Would you get the controller for the A80?

Also, if you want a flow randomizer, check out the VCA Random Flow Generator. Better than the IM SpinStream imho.

The tank looks great!

I haven't looked at the VCA, I'm glad you mentioned it because I was going to buy the IM spin stream tonight.

Congrats on the Nuvo 10. Its. Great tank.

Skimmers aren't necessary for most nano's so I wouldn't get one unless the system needs it.

Kessil is a good light.

The mightyjet pumps are great. I use them with RFG nozzles. Love the rfg nozzles, they provide great flow. 

I much prefer using a media basket with floss and carbon to using the filter sock. You need to change the sock mid week with a clean one while washing the other. Far easier using floss.

I would only use gfo if you need it otherwise it can/will strip any available phos in the tank.

If you can't trust your lfs and you have already experienced 1 thing wrong with their water, I'd switch to distilled water which is pure and readily available at the grocery store.

BakeTownFF
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Congrats on the Nuvo 10. Its. Great tank.

Skimmers aren't necessary for most nano's so I wouldn't get one unless the system needs it.

Kessil is a good light.

The mightyjet pumps are great. I use them with RFG nozzles. Love the rfg nozzles, they provide great flow. 

I much prefer using a media basket with floss and carbon to using the filter sock. You need to change the sock mid week with a clean one while washing the other. Far easier using floss.

I would only use gfo if you need it otherwise it can/will strip any available phos in the tank.

If you can't trust your lfs and you have already experienced 1 thing wrong with their water, I'd switch to distilled water which is pure and readily available at the grocery store.

Good to know! I’m with you on the water, however I did check this batch of the RODI and it showed 0ppm tds so I went with it for now.  From now on I’ll just be hauling water from the shop further away with a great reputation, assuming the reputation holds true.

BakeTownFF

Ok, so I got my Red Sea test kit today.  I really wish I had a test kit earlier but oh well. 

Temp: 78.4 F

SG: 1.025

PH: 8.2

dKH: 7

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrates: 0

I used 10lbs live sand and 10-ish lbs of dry rock.  The tank has been running since Thursday (5/21) in the evening.  6 days in, what should I be expecting in those numbers at this point? I feel like I should be seeing some ammonia or nitrite levels higher than 0.

31 minutes ago, BakeTownFF said:

Ok, so I got my Red Sea test kit today.  I really wish I had a test kit earlier but oh well. 

Temp: 78.4 F

SG: 1.025

PH: 8.2

dKH: 7

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrates: 0

I used 10lbs live sand and 10-ish lbs of dry rock.  The tank has been running since Thursday (5/21) in the evening.  6 days in, what should I be expecting in those numbers at this point? I feel like I should be seeing some ammonia or nitrite levels higher than 0.

Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread, but what ammonia source did you use to start the cycle?

BakeTownFF
27 minutes ago, Operaman said:

Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread, but what ammonia source did you use to start the cycle?

I didn't add anything.  Since posting this I've gone back through some reading and realize what you're getting at...I didn't realize a fishless cycle needed an ammonia source to kick things off.  I'm not sure why I thought the process would occur naturally.  🤦‍♂️

Ok, so a week in and all my levels at 0....should I be adding an additive? Or putting in a hearty fish?  Man this part went right over my head.

1 minute ago, BakeTownFF said:

I didn't add anything.  Since posting this I've gone back through some reading and realize what you're getting at...I didn't realize a fishless cycle needed an ammonia source to kick things off.  I'm not sure why I thought the process would occur naturally.  🤦‍♂️

Ok, so a week in and all my levels at 0....should I be adding an additive? Or putting in a hardy fish?  Man this part went right over my head.

There are a few different ways to cycle a tank, but the cleanest (in my mind at least) is to use Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride and your favorite bacterial additive (I used Bio Spira on the tank I just cycled). Use the instructions on the Dr Tim’s and you should cycle pretty quickly! You’ll still get all the new tank stuff - diatoms, algae, etc - but you’ll know for sure when it’s safe to add your first fish, and it’s a more measurable, consistent process that just dropping some food in the tank and waiting for it to decompose. Hope this helps!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
BakeTownFF
5 minutes ago, Operaman said:

There are a few different ways to cycle a tank, but the cleanest (in my mind at least) is to use Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride and your favorite bacterial additive (I used Bio Spira on the tank I just cycled). Use the instructions on the Dr Tim’s and you should cycle pretty quickly! You’ll still get all the new tank stuff - diatoms, algae, etc - but you’ll know for sure when it’s safe to add your first fish, and it’s a more measurable, consistent process that just dropping some food in the tank and waiting for it to decompose. Hope this helps!!

It does!  Thank you!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, BakeTownFF said:

Ok, so a week in and all my levels at 0....should I be adding an additive? Or putting in a hearty fish?  Man this part went right over my head.

With dry rock cycling you need to add an ammonia source a d best to add a bacteria additive too.

It can cycle on it's own but will take far longer.

Dr tim's ammonia and biospira are the common products to use for dry rock cycling

There are detailed instructions o  Dr tim's website.

Want you want to see is ammonia rise and fall to 0, then nitrite does the same, and end result is nitrates(these can get high), once ammonia and nitrite are 0 and ammonia of 1-2 pom can process to 0 in 24hrs, the tank is cycled.

Then a large waterchange is done and slowly livestock can be added.

• Like 1
BakeTownFF
On 5/28/2020 at 10:26 AM, Clown79 said:

With dry rock cycling you need to add an ammonia source a d best to add a bacteria additive too.

It can cycle on it's own but will take far longer.

Dr tim's ammonia and biospira are the common products to use for dry rock cycling

There are detailed instructions o  Dr tim's website.

Want you want to see is ammonia rise and fall to 0, then nitrite does the same, and end result is nitrates(these can get high), once ammonia and nitrite are 0 and ammonia of 1-2 pom can process to 0 in 24hrs, the tank is cycled.

Then a large waterchange is done and slowly livestock can be added.

Ok so the 27th I carefully added Dr. Tim’s ammonia.  The only bacteria I could find was API “Quick start”.  I added that according to the instructions on the 27th as well.  I work 24 hour shifts, I was gone the 28th and tested it today when I got home and ammonia is around 2ppm and nitrites 0.  With the API additive, does this seem on track?

Yes, you'll want to keep ammonia round 2 ppm.  Once the tank can process 2 ppm and turn it to zero in 24 hrs it's cycled...assuming there are no nitrites either.

It'll take a bit but eventually ammonia will go down and nitrite will rise.

Yoi don't need to add ammonia every day...just when it starts to drop.

BakeTownFF
2 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Yes, you'll want to keep ammonia round 2 ppm.  Once the tank can process 2 ppm and turn it to zero in 24 hrs it's cycled...assuming there are no nitrites either.

It'll take a bit but eventually ammonia will go down and nitrite will rise.

Yoi don't need to add ammonia every day...just when it starts to drop.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure having added the "Quick Start" I wasn't supposed to see a rise in Nitrites or a drop in ammonia this fast or something.  I haven't added more of either since the 27th.  

No, I'd actually recommend adding more bacteria if you can...just to diversify the strains.  Biospira, stability, Dr Tim's, MB 7...a lot of options.

Just test ammonia every other day and add when necessary.  This is the boring part 😉

BakeTownFF
15 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

No, I'd actually recommend adding more bacteria if you can...just to diversify the strains.  Biospira, stability, Dr Tim's, MB 7...a lot of options.

Just test ammonia every other day and add when necessary.  This is the boring part 😉

My LFS has biospira labeled for freshwater...the quick start says its compatible with fresh or saltwater, but to double the dosage for saltwater.  Any idea if this applies to the biospira?

47 minutes ago, BakeTownFF said:

My LFS has biospira labeled for freshwater...the quick start says its compatible with fresh or saltwater, but to double the dosage for saltwater.  Any idea if this applies to the biospira?

Looks like there’s two versions. This is the saltwater stuff. I agree with @DreC80 - best to use a couple of products for variety if there’s anything else available.

• Like 1
growsomething

That thing looks good on the white cabinet.

+1 on the rfg nozzle.  I'd gotten a huge shipment of gracilaria macro right after I got the rfg, and it filled 3/4 of the tank.  I should have taken a video of the truly random flow and force (sicce 1.0) it distributes. Very impressed by the sudden, random billowing of the macro, and the spread. 

Here are 2 pics of the IM hydrofill sensors and feed tube, no problems yet.  It does not have a low h20 warning beap.

Feed is in the 2nd chamber, sensors are in the 3rd, water level in the 3rd 1/4" below the 2nd chamber.  All 3 chambers filled w live/dry rubble, bag of carbon in the top of the 1st.

20200529_204752.thumb.jpg.e92ad29f581c1deb79d75735ea68f457.jpg

20200529_204808.thumb.jpg.44e87e3ae1c57129c3d3b43d7b3a8e0e.jpg

BakeTownFF
3 hours ago, growsomething said:

That thing looks good on the white cabinet.

+1 on the rfg nozzle.  I'd gotten a huge shipment of gracilaria macro right after I got the rfg, and it filled 3/4 of the tank.  I should have taken a video of the truly random flow and force (sicce 1.0) it distributes. Very impressed by the sudden, random billowing of the macro, and the spread. 

Here are 2 pics of the IM hydrofill sensors and feed tube, no problems yet.  It does not have a low h20 warning beap.

Feed is in the 2nd chamber, sensors are in the 3rd, water level in the 3rd 1/4" below the 2nd chamber.  All 3 chambers filled w live/dry rubble, bag of carbon in the top of the 1st.

What do you think of the IM hydrofill?

BakeTownFF

Ok, got things moving along finally.  I'm fine waiting out the cycle, I just wanted to make sure it was going.

Today's Parameters:

Temp: 78.4

SG: 1.025

PH: 8.2

Ammonia: 2PPM

Nitrites: 0.2PPM

Nitrates: Didn't test

dKH: 8.5

• Like 1
BakeTownFF

Ok, so ammonia is beginning to fall, nitrites and nitrates are going up...moving right along there.  A couple things:

-I've decided and order the Kessil A80

-Ordered the tunze nano ATO

-Does anyone with an IM10 or any other size fusion deal with bubbles constantly being sucked into the return pump and spitting bubbles into the display? I think I might try and put some really fine filter floss right above the pump and below the ATO censor in the return compartment.  Any other thoughts?

The only time I had micro bubbles in the Nuvo 30l was from the skimmer...but you aren't running a skimmer.  I'm thinking they'll probably go away as the tank matures and builds up some slime, etc.  

The only thing I can think of is the return chamber water being too low...but that shouldn't be an issue once you get the ATO added.

• Like 1