SaltCritters.com

Advice please: How to DIY washing machine micro plastics filter

chaostactics

chaostactics

Some of you may have seen my rants on hating mat rollers, and I'm using socks. I was for a while using a sock on my washer discharge hose to catch microfiber/plastics but the problem is the discharge from the hose is so powerful that it floods the filter and laundry room sometimes.

I have an old RO/DI add-on filter cannisters sitting around and would like to build one of these. (I just can't swing the $130-200 for a prebuilt one).

Screenshot_20200525-134039.png

• 8 months later...
MainelyReefer

Eventually the filter will dirty up, causing it to clog, causing back pressure on the washer machines pump.  This could result in such a scenario and damage the pump.  A noble cause to catch micro plastics or why?  Your DI canister will go on to create tons of micro plastics.  Plus if you aren’t disposing of captured microplastics in some special manner their end location won’t likely be much better.  I also would not spend 130$ on something that can be built for 20-30 lol.  I don’t get how a discharge filter saves you money, plus what micron filter are they using? I think micro plastics will even go through a 1 micron filter.  Another thought....  the polypropylene spun material in the filter will itself become micro plastics one day.  The filter will add to your overall micro plastic footprint.  Plus all the shit it’s going to capture so gross🤮