Coral Vue Hydros

Trochus Snail Died

MidwestReefer1989

MidwestReefer1989

Hello fellow nano reefers. I have had my tank up and running for about a month. I had noticed that my trochus snail was not moving but today I noticed a white film around his base and pulled him out and he smelled awful. I assumed he died because he had not moved for a few days. 

My question is... I have a 13.5 fluval evo with 2 clowns, 1 skunk cleaner, and 2 conchs. All parameters are good with nitrate increasing but I assume that is due to the fish I added (adjusting biofiliter). 

Does anyone know what would have caused him to die suddenly? He stayed on the rock formation mainly and cleaned the algae coat off of there and never really crossed the sand. Any guidance and any suggestions on clean up crew members would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

It could have been old age or starvation. With trochus they will only eat the thin layer of alge off everything. Your other CUC are all omnivore/ carnivore and will eat anything the fish will. This maybe why the trochus died but everything else is ok. The other is old age was he very big? 

Its odd that he never went on the glass. I have 4 trochus and 2 turbos and they spend half the day on the glass.