Cultivated Reef

New Torch coral ??!!!

mynewtank

It took me 58 years to be able to afford a saltwater aquarium.

I have exactly 6 months experience with my saltwater tank.  I've managed to kill a clownfish, yellow tang, one bubble anemone and a frog spawn.  I've been spending a small fortune having a guy come over to service the tank - The place I bought my 35 gal. tank from sold me a freshwater filter and 3K later stopped answering my calls.

I found another place and they've been helpful but I need to learn how to handle this tank.  I really don't mind putting the work into it. I just don't have a clue.

Yesterday I added a torch coral and it doesn't seem to be opened the way it was at the store.

I'm thinking I may be the grim reaper of saltwater aquariums.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Tangs don't belong in tanks that are 35g. 

Beyond that without knowing about the lighting, flow, and water parameters not too many are going to be helpful. 

I would move the Torch low with low to moderate flow until you figure it out. 

• Like 1

I didn't know that and I bought another yellow tang.

The light I have is and LED bar over the top of the tank - it has a remote control with different settings.  I have a new sump underneath and just last week got a big plastic tank that holds RO to feed into the thing I used to refill every two days. - I must sound like an idiot but I don't know what parameters are.

Also, can I move the Torch again? I watched some YouTube videos and they said they don't like being moved.

Oh - Okay, The parameters are all within normal range - the guy doing the maintenance checks the water about every 10 days -  Temperature runs between 77-78.5 degrees F

You aren't the grim reaper of reef tanks - you've just ceded control over your tanks to someone else. You need to take that back and gain a whole lot more knowledge if you want to keep a reef. Start by reading the stickied threads in the beginner forum and feel free to ask questions about specifics you don't understand.

• Like 3

I also put a hammer coral in the tank.  it hasn't really opened up much and I think I may have had it out of the water too long while I was putting the glue on it.   It's been 3 days.  Is that normal? and if not is there anything I can do to save it?

2 hours ago, mynewtank said:

I also put a hammer coral in the tank.  it hasn't really opened up much and I think I may have had it out of the water too long while I was putting the glue on it.   It's been 3 days.  Is that normal? and if not is there anything I can do to save it?

How long was it out of water? I routinely have stuff out of the water for 20-30 minutes, sometimes significantly longer, without issue as long as you let your LPS close up before exposing them to air.

All you can do is keep parameters stable and keep them out of very strong direct flow and very high light. Basically put it on your sand bed and leave it be.

What are your parameters? Ammonia, Nitrate, Phosphate, Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. Also, what light and circulation are you running - brand and model would be helpful.

• Like 1

Hi,

I too waited a long time to be able to afford a tank ,too. (56 years) While I love my tank which I have had for 1.5 years, it has not been without disappointments. I, in now way consider myself an experienced owner at this point, but I have learned a lot from this forum and have found people very willing to help. I've battled flat worms, cyno, bryopsis, bubble algae and now hair algae.  So far I haven't had to deal with diatoms. I've lost corals and had trouble with crabs when they go through their molts.  I think everyone goes through some losses in the beginning. I've kept tropical and cold water fish for years, so thought saltwater would be a breeze, but learned quickly that it's a whole different animal.  So my advice as a beginner (I'm too old to call myself a noob) is trust the advice of experience tank owners, don't trust all LFS, and don't add too much hoping your tank will look like all the beautiful ones you see on-line.  If you see something in the store you like, but it may be a challenge check with someone experienced before you buy.  I bought a sea urchin and a star fish for my 13.5 gal on the advice of the LFS.  I have decided to not add anything new for a while and just let what I have grow and mature while I gain experience.  My wallet is getting empty and each loss makes me sad.  So don't give up, you've just made some of the mistakes most beginners make.  

Good luck

• Like 2

Instead of buying coral you need to invest in your own test kits.

Refractometer for salinity and either Salifert or red sea test kits for Mg, Ca, and Alk and Nitrate. Hanna makes a phosphate tester.

Yellow tangs need 75g minimum imo. They grow large...are active and as they get bigger they can become aggressive in a small tank. They are also disease magnets. I would bring it back to whoever thought it was okay to sell that to someone with a 35g tank.

Research all your fish purchases...if you google yellow Tang you can see live aquaria recommends 100g and that's a quick starting reference. This is 2020...we don't have to go to a library anymore...the answer can be found in 30 seconds so there is no excuse not to learn how to care for an animal.

Hammer coral can be out of the water for awhile...mine used to get exposed for long periods during water changes. If it's not opening after 3 days it's time to start your own testing and problem solving otherwise you will just burn a hole in your wallet.

What light do you have? We need a brand name... Corals need specific lighting properly sized. What power heads do you use?

You should probably buy a book on saltwater reefs....there are many to choose from.and they are only about 10 dollars...look for one with good reviews. It isn't necessary but will give you a strong base of information for a very small investment.

• Like 2

I did a bunch of reading today and called the guy who I get everything from.   He's going to take the Tang back and from what I've read today I at least know what NOT to put in there (although it's going to be a while).  For now I'm going to concentrate on stabilizing the tank itself.  I have a refractometer and I check the water every two or three days after I murdered my last fish.  The only other testing I do are the test strips - a guy comes here to do the rest and at those prices it's obvious I'm going to have to learn to do it myself.

I just looked at my light and it's a current-use model 5007 ---- I looked it up and it's for a fresh water LED light and a small freshwater filter which is pretty aggravating since the guy who sold it to me sold me this entire set up ....He could've sold me the Brooklyn bridge I was so eager.  Same guy sold me a small fresh water filter that hung on the back of the tank.  

I've since found another place and I now have a skimmer, sump, and a big plastic pail that feeds RO into the sump (don't know what that's called either) and one powerhead positioned at the top right corner of the tank.

And hey, thanks so much for taking all the time--- I've bee thinking I shouldn't have started this - but there may still be hope.

-Tina

-  

• Like 1

You will probably need to upgrade your lighting. What are the dimensions of your tank? That will help us give recommendations. It could be the reason for your troubles with corals.

One thing to remember is the LFS makes money off you and some (not all) take advantage of that but our advice is free 🙂

Some FW filters are okay for nano reefs such as aquaclear and tidal (avoid biowheels) but they are generally set up a certain way to run floss or carbon. Some people modify them a bit. A sump is fine though and nice to hide equipment in. 

It sounds like the pail is an auto top off.

You will want to use the liquid test kits over the strips. Salifert and Red sea are better quality then API so that's what most use.

A simple reef with easier corals and appropriate fish is not too hard...it is just overwhelming in the beginning because there is so many options and opinions...so hang in there!

YES! The pail is an auto top off.  My tank is rectangular 36" length X 15" high X 12 width.   I'm going to buy the Salifert or red sea test kits  now.  Should I get them on Amazon or do you recommend another vendor?

Also, What about chemicals and what do you think about dosing pumps? 

At this point, wherever you can get the kits to you fastest is probably your best bet. 

Sounds like the guy maintaining it doesn't know what he's doing. I would suggest taking over. Once you've got a tank cycled, it's not difficult. 

Bubbletip anemones are very fragile and not for new tanks.

What killed the fish? Do you have any idea? 

What does the tank look like now? Did it start off with live rock covered in ocean creatures, live rock from an aquarium, or dead rock? 

Tank started off with dead rock.  The guy that services my tank came and did a water change and the salt was too high and my fish died --- he sent another guy back and that guy emptied 2/3 of the water and now it's fine.

I'll order a kit now, which one do you think would be best and what chemicals should I buy.  I'm also out of test strips.  

Should I look into a dosing pump - or is that a conversation for later?

I also get some algae in the tank because there's a window on the other side of the room.  I remove it regularly

debbeach13

I am sorry that you dealt with a store that either didn’t know much about reefs or took advantage of you. You got of to a rough start but you are not alone. Glad to read you are going to get some test kits and stop buying livestock for now. It sounds like you replaced the filter with a sump and got a skimmer. Hang on the back filters are fine and they work on fresh and salt. You are going to have to get a new light for corals. Unfortunately this will be a bit pricey to cover a 36” tank. Most people invest in good lighting because it really makes such a big difference in coral health. Also viewing. You should take a look at some of the members journals for learning and what tanks look good to you and people will start recommending lighting. Can you take some pictures or tell us what is in the tank now? You definitely need to research cycling a tank. Even if your tank is cycled this knowledge helps in maintaining your tank also. No more New coral or Fish until we know where your parameters are. Welcome to NR. The people here will help you as much as they can so hang in there. Having a home reef is worth it.

Here's a picture of my filter and my tank   36" length X 15" high X 12" width.

You guys are awesome.

I was so upset.

I'm ordering test kits today.  Red See Reef Foundation Multi Test Kit is good for me?  Also what chems should I buy?

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mynewtank said:

YES! The pail is an auto top off.  My tank is rectangular 36" length X 15" high X 12 width.   I'm going to buy the Salifert or red sea test kits  now.  Should I get them on Amazon or do you recommend another vendor?

Also, What about chemicals and what do you think about dosing pumps? 

I use bulk reef supply or marine depot. It's memorial day so a few places may be running a sale. The only downside I had with Amazon is their stock doesn't always move quickly and you don't want old test kits.

You don't dose until you need it and you generally don't need it until you have a lot of healthy coral growing. It is something you test for every day at the same time of day to figure out the tanks usage. Until that point it is easier/safer to do regular water changes. An overdose can stress animals or even cause a death or crash so it's not something you want to do blindly.

Right now you don't need any chemicals. Just a way to mix your own salt if you haven't been doing that.

The yellow tang, as you've already been told, gets too big and too active for this tank. The coral beauty angelfish (the purple and orange one) is going to need more space and will nip at corals, so you should remove that as well. The clownfish is great.

Right now, you need to do three things. 

1: Feed the fish on a regular schedule. As much as it can eat in a few minutes, once or twice a day. 

2: Make sure the aquarium stays topped off with FRESH water to replace evaporation, so it doesn't get too salty. 

3: Do water changes when nitrates and/or phosphates get high. 

If you do those things, and don't get anything poisonous in the tank, you shouldn't have any other mobile animals die. The corals will need a good light to stay alive. 

Algae is fine. Scrape any of it off the glass that bothers you, and let it grow on the rocks. 

What animals do you have in the tank? Snails, crabs? 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mynewtank said:

Here's a picture of my filter and my tank   36" length X 15" high X 12" width.

You guys are awesome.

I was so upset.

I'm ordering test kits today.  Red See Reef Foundation Multi Test Kit is good for me?  Also what chems should I buy?

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

Looks like a good start.

Red sea kit is a good brand.

You will also want a nitrate and Phosphate test kit. Red sea makes these as well. 

You will want extra filter socks to swap them...about twice a week. I then soak mine in a pale of tap water with some bleach for a few hours. Then I launder (no soap!! just an extra rinse cycle) and I let them dry completely (residual bleach will evaporate). Just be sure to do it before you run out of socks so you aren't waiting for them to dry. I basically have a big bucket of socks so I can do a big load at once.

You can hand wash them in a pinch or until you get more socks with just hot water (turn them inside out).