SaltCritters.com

20 gallon long quarantine boredom

Edwardfish

2 hours ago, Cencalfishguy56 said:

I would get a flasher, the orchid may become too much of an A hole to the other two fish later down the road and flashers are gorgeous fish, ive been wanting one in my next tank

I just shot evolved from reef2reef about short term Lubbocks wrasse in a 20long, I’m planning the upgrade to a 40 so it’ll only be about 8 months max of him in a small tank.

• Like 1

Bicolor belnny and hawk fish are good buds now no fighting or chasing or anything but the hawk is yet to associate me with food but I’m not going to worry cause his eating has been picking up. Blenny wasn’t too happy to begin sharing the tank but I think he’s fine now can’t wait till he gets big lol.

• Like 2

Was feeding enriched brine, flakes, and pellets hawk fish wouldn’t budge after eating at lfs. I ended up treating prazipro thinking this was flukes after some research to similar experiences. Well after a while of one or two brine a day he ate nearly every piece of mysis that he saw... so happy now! prazipro def could have helped but I’ve fed both mysis and brine today for him and he only ate the mysis. Going to now try to get him on everything else. Lucky for the blenny he’s fat af right now 😂. Now just need to control the extra phosphates I fed the last few days trying to get the hawk fish to eat. 

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
5 hours ago, Edwardfish said:

Was feeding enriched brine, flakes, and pellets hawk fish wouldn’t budge after eating at lfs. I ended up treating prazipro thinking this was flukes after some research to similar experiences. Well after a while of one or two brine a day he ate nearly every piece of mysis that he saw... so happy now! prazipro def could have helped but I’ve fed both mysis and brine today for him and he only ate the mysis. Going to now try to get him on everything else. Lucky for the blenny he’s fat af right now 😂. Now just need to control the extra phosphates I fed the last few days trying to get the hawk fish to eat. 

Lol my Midas Benny used to fight with my damsel, I ditched the damsel and now he lowkey kinda bullies my six line😂😂 I’m starting to think he’s the bully, gotta love blennys’ character

• Like 1
On 10/20/2020 at 12:31 AM, Cencalfishguy56 said:

Lol my Midas Benny used to fight with my damsel, I ditched the damsel and now he lowkey kinda bullies my six line😂😂 I’m starting to think he’s the bully, gotta love blennys’ character

Haha gotta love blennies!

Tank looked tooo good imo today not to share. New scrapper and water change 😍. Hawk fish so much more active after starting to eat now. Blenny also has nice colors and is putting on good weight too bad he was hiding. I’m going to frag and sell most of the Stylo, I’d like to get something like a hammer, leather, goni, or acan from fragging money. Some more zoas will definitely be finding their way into the tank soon.

0C02C96E-B339-4CFF-B5E8-65F72102E5E5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Updated shot plus new frog spawn, wasn’t doing too good at the store so I got a discounted price and it’s already perking up! Should look nice in the euphilia garden, still loooking out for some teal hammers tho. Teal hammer was my second coral ever and I just gotta have another.

5B8BB19B-571E-403B-9444-565ADC5D53BE.jpeg

D623734F-ECC0-4E78-8817-FD199F65AB33.jpeg

F361EB2E-71A4-44F9-AA87-1B003C3BC01B.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

What are y’all’s thoughts on a soft coral plus a little macro algae reef? Wanting too keep nutrients in check and keep things simple for college. I think some dragons breath and a collection of leathers and zoas would look good and be easy. Probably will sell purple Stylo and maybe the candy cane but keep the rest of the lps. Good news is I’ve already got a little baby devils hand growing and new rescue frog spawn is doing great!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, farkwar said:

Frogspawn was a good bet for you

Seems like it was a long shot considering the state it was in

GJ on the husbandry

Thanks! Glad this guy pulled through, seems as the tank it was kept in usually does more poorly than the rest, really strange but glad I got a steal. They have one pice with 20 budding heads and 0 live full polyps, I may try and snag that and see what happens

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56
On 11/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, Edwardfish said:

What are y’all’s thoughts on a soft coral plus a little macro algae reef? Wanting too keep nutrients in check and keep things simple for college. I think some dragons breath and a collection of leathers and zoas would look good and be easy. Probably will sell purple Stylo and maybe the candy cane but keep the rest of the lps. Good news is I’ve already got a little baby devils hand growing and new rescue frog spawn is doing great!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dude I dig the idea, when I started my 20 long back in college I made it a mixed reef and it went well for a while but I just lost time and I let it go to waste. Definitely would do something more simple for the time being, but I will honestly say LPS even would do well but a traditional macro/soft reef is always stunning, you’d have a huge pod population

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Cencalfishguy56 said:

Dude I dig the idea, when I started my 20 long back in college I made it a mixed reef and it went well for a while but I just lost time and I let it go to waste. Definitely would do something more simple for the time being, but I will honestly say LPS even would do well but a traditional macro/soft reef is always stunning, you’d have a huge pod population

Yea I’ve pretty much decided in my head I’m going this direction. Gonna pick up some leather at my lfs tmr that has been catching my eye for weeks trade in my Stylo for it. Also got some dude on my local fb with hella cheap dragons breath so I’m excited to get that soon too.

• Like 1

Also debating a captive bread orchid dotty back, want a decently active colorful fish that will get along well with the little bond my hawk fish and blenny have going on tho. Heard they can be territorial but my blenny and hawk will happily share the same rock to perch. Biggest concern is body shape of the belnny also being an elongated fish. Thought? 

I have had one in a 2oL for just a few months. He was added with two clown fish and I was very worried about Mama clown but they all seem fine from day one. Not sure if some day he will turn into a jerk or not. I do have lots of places that the dotty back can hide in. He enjoys a small barnacle that is visible from the front but he is an active swimmer also.   I tried adding a yellow striped benny last week but Mama hated it right away. I changed the aqua scape and she behaved for a couple days. But after she caused some fin damage I had to remove the blenny.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I have had one in a 2oL for just a few months. He was added with two clown fish and I was very worried about Mama clown but they all seem fine from day one. Not sure if some day he will turn into a jerk or not. I do have lots of places that the dotty back can hide in. He enjoys a small barnacle that is visible from the front but he is an active swimmer also.   I tried adding a yellow striped benny last week but Mama hated it right away. I changed the aqua scape and she behaved for a couple days. But after she caused some fin damage I had to remove the blenny.

Oh sorry to hear the belnny didn’t work out, but good to hear about the orchid dottyback not being too mean. Couldn’t that have been bad for Mama? I think that blenny has a venom fang.

4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

My bad. I got the fish at petco it was labeled wrong and I repeated the error. It is clearly a yellow lined goby.

84280E75-DE07-4C99-B640-18D79DD331BD.jpeg

7B11CABB-7A7D-4379-AAB8-7756C38DFF6B.jpeg

I think it may still be a blenny but I’m not exactly a marine biologist. Still a cool looking fish tho

5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Me either I checked in Live Aquaria so I could look at pictures. The blenny had much nicer fins and the stripes didn’t go the length of the fish. Who knows. I do like him. Now he is all alone in a ten gallon. 

You are the one the fish so yea I’m gonna bet you are right

Well #### I hate to say this but everything is looking really bad right now. Lots of tissue recession and almost everything is shriveled up. No clue what it could be other than a temp swing that would have been no more than 2 degrees. Going to be doing very large water changes.

Did a quick 5g water change and added carbon at 12. “Prized”frog spawn has perked up the slightest bit. Fish and inverts (including rock flower nems) are doing fine still so I’m lead to believe this was a temp thing or more likely a toxin that corals hate while I was gone for one night. 5-10 g water change tmmr moring will happen if needed. Candy cane coral seems to be a total loss sadly but I will see what happens. Leathers are just closed for the mean while but not slouched. Eagle eyes are doing ok and so are the other zoas. Rescue frog spawn is meh but will probably make it if water changes help. Haven’t seen a polyp from the birds nest in 2 days but it is not bleached. Duncan coral is all over the place can’t tell if it will survive but no visible tissue loss. Lowered the flow for the mean time to just the return too and lights I cut the intensity yesterday. I think once I see some leather coral polyps I’m in the clear. Idk what to think of this but will post updates. (This was supposed to be posted yesterday)