Cultivated Reef

20 gallon long quarantine boredom

Edwardfish

Looking to move my candy cane coral to the top loft where the devils hand is any ideas where the the devils hand should move, I want to add a hammer where the candy cane is because the frogspawn will soon sting the candy cane and a Euphyllia garden will look cool probably a purple tip hammer. Could move the tiny birds nest higher up by the Stylo good flow and little sps garden and might get another Stylo or birds of paradise birds nest to complete sps or a red digi.

heres the fts birds nest is hard to see but right above right frogspawn. Excuse the dirty glass

65BF60FE-7A1A-496A-9E3D-48D5E93EAA5B.jpeg

Update: I’ve been battling a case of high phosphates(1.5) that I just accidentally fixed? Weird ling story maybe but it was definitely confirmed high and now more like .1-.05 but I need a better test kit to tell. Also here is a better pic of the tank after a sunglasses filter I lost then found. Cleaning glass today and moving the candy cane to the top left, birds nest up by the Stylo and the devils hang to the old birds nest location. Then get a hopefully purple tip hammer where the candy cane is now.

8D3945F2-9513-4521-A483-234B9F187A7F.jpeg

• Like 2

Believe it or not this birds nest has tripled in size! All while the base of my Stylo is still bleached... can’t wait to see 3 more months of growth with cal over 300 and alk over 6 now lol it’s been through some lack of dosing knowledge.

also second pick is early morning rescape pick, going to have to move the devils hand to a better spot, it will get too big when happy and shade zoas and touch the birds nest.

image.jpg

New more recent photo of everything happy, my brs screen is coming in now I need to get some frame rails and corners then I can get another fire fish without worry. Next fish to be added will be a possum and pink streaked wrasse (I heard this is an ok pair correct me if I’m wrong) or if I find a citron clown goby I’ll think about him. Lots of options. Also to come is a gsp wall and maybe a cyphastrea skull or shape.

6BC2A553-D571-46E6-9C1D-1E391C3ED5D8.jpeg

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56
5 hours ago, Edwardfish said:

New more recent photo of everything happy, my brs screen is coming in now I need to get some frame rails and corners then I can get another fire fish without worry. Next fish to be added will be a possum and pink streaked wrasse (I heard this is an ok pair correct me if I’m wrong) or if I find a citron clown goby I’ll think about him. Lots of options. Also to come is a gsp wall and maybe a cyphastrea skull or shape.

6BC2A553-D571-46E6-9C1D-1E391C3ED5D8.jpeg

Sounds like an awesome plan! I think having two wrasses will add a lot of life to this tank. I also enjoy how natural your tank looks. Sometimes we get caught up in the insane colors and actinic lighting that we forget how natural a tank can look. Love the placement! Do you plan on putting anything on the sand?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cencalfishguy56 said:

Sounds like an awesome plan! I think having two wrasses will add a lot of life to this tank. I also enjoy how natural your tank looks. Sometimes we get caught up in the insane colors and actinic lighting that we forget how natural a tank can look. Love the placement! Do you plan on putting anything on the sand?

Thanks! I really want a truly “mixed” reef I don’t actually care for too many sticks, not enough movement. As for the sand I really want something that pops a little more than others that isn’t green to help contrast, probably a acan. I sadly missed a perfect one at the lfs to I’m looking around. But a small brain coral or plate coral would be awesome too I just can justify some of their prices cause but I know that are hard to propagate. Property on the sand is limited tho so it will go on either side of the frogspawn, depending on flow needs but probably the left side. I’ll attach a side view where you can see I only have a little room but I also want all Angles to look good so for the front and top look good.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
2 hours ago, Edwardfish said:

You can see the bright spots where corals can go

5CA19B85-6FAA-450A-AE91-58A91E28BEAB.jpeg

8BEC3095-D95E-41F3-958C-A30BF757943D.jpeg

Such a clean tank man, I have nice pieces but right now I’m working on getting this algae under control🤦🏻‍♂️ I vote a plate coral! I received one a couple weeks ago from AquaSD and it’s insanely bright and adds a nice pop. I believe I paid $60

8493C23A-3FD8-4691-8B91-8630BDE74384.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cencalfishguy56 said:

Such a clean tank man, I have nice pieces but right now I’m working on getting this algae under control🤦🏻‍♂️ I vote a plate coral! I received one a couple weeks ago from AquaSD and it’s insanely bright and adds a nice pop. I believe I paid $60

8493C23A-3FD8-4691-8B91-8630BDE74384.jpeg

I’ve been lightly following your tank, it’s so cool. I really like the price and looks of that plate nice grab! What size tank do you have and types of algae? I’ve been blessed with nearly now algae it’s insane it when my phosphates rose to 1.5(yea really bad) no algae in sight. Maybe I can owe my luck to my lone biclolor blenny he ate up the first sight of hair algae I had and nothing has showed up sense, I highly recommend a small blenny like a bicolor or tail spot. Also not to brag I’ve cleaned the glass 4 times 😎

• Like 1
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Is the fish alive!

Oops forgot to he’s fine I saw him snack on a couple pods then once out back in he went right back to his perch

• 2 weeks later...

Update: no new additions but I’m going to sell the Stylo to my lfs I cause I acnt get growth, it has barely changed for months. Also going to move the middle arching rock, it takes up too much Real estate for coral. Also saw a fire fish I’m going to get now that I have a screen lid. Rip Mose 

• Like 1

Moved the rock! Going to move the toad stool to over hang on the left to the right of the Duncan to still have an interesting look when it grows out. Also selling the Stylo it doesn’t like my tank too much lol, poor lighting spread it was grown over t5s with good reflectors. Now I can load up with all the hammer and frog spawn I can find for cheap 😁. Or maybe I’ll find some more cool leathers and zoas who knows!

Here what the tank looks like now, if u can image what it will look like grown in I think it’s gonna be super cool. Right now it doesn’t seem cool but once I get some new things in Ik it’ll be awesome. Too bad I just tested positive for COVID and go to the lfs or locals to pick up frags. Idk how I’ll even get water for top offs lol.

5D053118-6D2C-4CBA-8DA7-FBD658F170B1.jpeg

F52D6211-D4DC-41C2-B2B2-4F43BF2AB4D6.jpeg

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Sorry to read this. A solid lid instead of mesh will cut way back on evaporation. I normally would not suggest this but if you can afford it you can get water delivered or get some seachem prime and mix with tap.

It’s all good luckily I got an extra jug I got with the intention of mixing for a water change but never did, but I did the math and if evaporation stays decently constant I shoudl just make it through this week, also have friends and prime on hand for emergencies!

Supper excited to see great sponge growth in my reef multiple of the pineapple and some sort of yellow sponge both on this frogspawn! (Bad photo I did not want to retake w the flash)

5D3D5767-550B-4D6F-96AC-0B0DBC806B76.jpeg

• Like 2

My zoa recovery appreciation post, these little guys were all browned out when I first picked them up and were sold for pretty cheap cause of that. Now they’ve got some cool purples and greens to show off w more light and I got my phosphates down! Never seen a name for them so if anyone knows what it is I’d love for you to share. Right now they are in pretty high flow but are sending off really close new polyps I’m hoping for a mat of them.

E9CB8192-40D8-4133-8047-BE4653F1DEEB.jpeg

• Like 1

Got a fighting conch! Hope this guy helps stir up the sand bed, now he’s little but I asked the lfs guy if I could trade him out for free or nearly free once he grows a bit, now he’s still 1 and a 1/4 inches. Super cool tho!image.thumb.jpg.c4a2d8859313eddd1dbc1573e71b070b.jpg

• Like 1

Little change of plans here’s a sneak peak!! Pink streaked a possum wrasses I was told by my lfs guy(amazing dude) all his distributors can get possum wrasses or pink streaks in for AT LEAST 3 MONTHS MINIMUM! Sorry to my og plans but I’d rather not wait lol

image.jpg

• Like 2

Friends... lol no aggression so far between the blenny and long nose hawk they both kinda just perch in their spots the belnny being a lot more active tho and they hawk just patiently hanging out. I was a bit worried for my blenny being a target for the hawk cause he’s small but I think all is well hawk doesn’t really seem to notice the blenny but the blenny sure notices him lol. Any suggestions for a 3rd final fish y’all?! I was thinking potentially a flasher wrasse or orchid dotty back but lmk if that’s pushing it. lol big change of original plans

25C77FB6-A7C5-4681-AF10-51DAF5C78F01.jpeg

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
32 minutes ago, Edwardfish said:

Friends... lol no aggression so far between the blenny and long nose hawk they both kinda just perch in their spots the belnny being a lot more active tho and they hawk just patiently hanging out. I was a bit worried for my blenny being a target for the hawk cause he’s small but I think all is well hawk doesn’t really seem to notice the blenny but the blenny sure notices him lol. Any suggestions for a 3rd final fish y’all?! I was thinking potentially a flasher wrasse or orchid dotty back but lmk if that’s pushing it. lol big change of original plans

25C77FB6-A7C5-4681-AF10-51DAF5C78F01.jpeg

I would get a flasher, the orchid may become too much of an A hole to the other two fish later down the road and flashers are gorgeous fish, ive been wanting one in my next tank