inTank Media Baskets

20 gallon long quarantine boredom

Edwardfish

Elizabeth94

Thats a nice sized zoa colony! Yeah zoas are weird. They are “easy” but can be tricky at the same time. Some are always happy, some are fussy. They can take more light than people expect. Probably because they are generally regarded as a low light and flow coral. 

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
13 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Thats a nice sized zoa colony! Yeah zoas are weird. They are “easy” but can be tricky at the same time. Some are always happy, some are fussy. They can take more light than people expect. Probably because they are generally regarded as a low light and flow coral. 

Agreed! I’ve seen zoas up there with sps, I’m starting to believe corals can grow fine anywhere granted acclimation to their light source and flow, I have my sunny Ds with my rainbow pocci no problems, but my pink zippers seemed finicky so I moved them a little lower

• Like 2
On 7/9/2020 at 6:24 PM, Cencalfishguy56 said:

Agreed! I’ve seen zoas up there with sps, I’m starting to believe corals can grow fine anywhere granted acclimation to their light source and flow, I have my sunny Ds with my rainbow pocci no problems, but my pink zippers seemed finicky so I moved them a little lower

Agreed I’ve slowly been raising my lights to nearly double what they were and no I’ll effects and better coloration from the zoas, I also think the sunny d’s are still not getting enough or maybe the tank before had them so Deformed that the stalks (almost 2in) will never recede, still experimenting. Also I say go for the bicolor mine already has a lot of personality and a big bonus is I’ve seen mine take down some hair algae. Although I’ve heard they can nip at corals sometimes but it’s too early for me to comment on that.

• Like 2
On 7/9/2020 at 6:08 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Same story hear but for the most part mine have also started to color up a little better, one really cheap frag at the store was brownish and not green but in higher light has gotten a green skirt and center with purpleish gray. Although they can survive in low light that’s imo is just a testament to how adaptive they are. (Also thanks it is a pretty cool colony!)

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56
12 hours ago, Edwardfish said:

Same story hear but for the most part mine have also started to color up a little better, one really cheap frag at the store was brownish and not green but in higher light has gotten a green skirt and center with purpleish gray. Although they can survive in low light that’s imo is just a testament to how adaptive they are. (Also thanks it is a pretty cool colony!)

It’s cool that you saved the browned out zoas, there is an open brain at my LFS for pretty cheap and a little browned out, I’m halfway tempted to buy it and color it up lol

Cencalfishguy56

Agreed I’ve slowly been raising my lights to nearly double what they were and no I’ll effects and better coloration from the zoas, I also think the sunny d’s are still not getting enough or maybe the tank before had them so Deformed that the stalks (almost 2in) will never recede, still experimenting. Also I say go for the bicolor mine already has a lot of personality and a big bonus is I’ve seen mine take down some hair algae. Although I’ve heard they can nip at corals sometimes but it’s too early for me to comment on that.

I really want a tailspot blenny, but the bicolor needs a home and I need algae control 🤷🏻‍♂️

38 minutes ago, Cencalfishguy56 said:

It’s cool that you saved the browned out zoas, there is an open brain at my LFS for pretty cheap and a little browned out, I’m halfway tempted to buy it and color it up lol

I guess sometimes it’s worth taking that risk on that one coral, that would be really cool if you could get some nice colors on that open brain.

Also about the tail spot that was my first choice but there was a really cool bicolor in my lfs and Texas being the new hot spot for corona it’s going to take a little while for new fish especially special orders to come in. But I don’t regret getting the bicolor at all...yet lol

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

I guess sometimes it’s worth taking that risk on that one coral, that would be really cool if you could get some nice colors on that open brain.

Also about the tail spot that was my first choice but there was a really cool bicolor in my lfs and Texas being the new hot spot for corona it’s going to take a little while for new fish especially special orders to come in. But I don’t regret getting the bicolor at all...yet lol

Lol I feel it, corona has really put the halt on a lot of things, it’s been hard to get stuff on time through the mail as well 😬 I think I’ll pick up the bicolor and open brain this next week!

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about the direction I want my tank to go and now I’m thinking I should go for a low maintenance. Mostly softies and lps hoping to get some acans, leathers and more. Any suggestions would be nice I want some corals that will hive movement or pop. Probably no super expensive things such as gold torches or designer corals (nothing against cool corals I just don’t want to end up killing my prized collection I can’t replace). Also going to college in a year I want something that can basically be just topping off water and feeding fish.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
42 minutes ago, Edwardfish said:

I’ve been thinking about the direction I want my tank to go and now I’m thinking I should go for a low maintenance. Mostly softies and lps hoping to get some acans, leathers and more. Any suggestions would be nice I want some corals that will hive movement or pop. Probably no super expensive things such as gold torches or designer corals (nothing against cool corals I just don’t want to end up killing my prized collection I can’t replace). Also going to college in a year I want something that can basically be just topping off water and feeding fish.

Haha I feel it man, I barely graduated, now im gonna splurge on reefing😂

• Like 1

Here is a update picture, good color and growth on almost everything candy can is splitting and grown more skeleton zoas grown a few new polyps and colorful Duncan has amazing extension loves the high flow and light smaller heads getting big hopefully will branch a little more. Fish doing great eating and comfortable. Getting some leather and maybe more zoas on Thursday from a cousin who has a huge Red Sea reefer tank with giant colonies of leathers, zoas and mushrooms. Going to be giving him the sunny d zoas I like them but are too big for me. Here’s a FTS.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Will these snail eggs live? I think they are the Cerith snails eggs and I’m hoping I get lost of them they are the best cleaners in the tank rn. Also funny fact one hermit moved into a way (I mean way) to big astrea snail shell and it hilarious to see him try to drag the thing around. Ill get some empty shells at the lfs for him to be more comfortable in lol.

image.jpg

New corals today! Went over to help clean my cousins tank, he had lots a baby leathers literally just floating around, I got two devils hands and one green toad stool. Also baby sitting a frog spawn his clowns keep trying to host which has killed most of the colony. Lights are off I’ll get a photo in the morning

Also getting a jebao slw-10 pump to give a wider more natural calmer flow than the stream I have hopefully I won’t need to move too many corals to fit the new flow but definitely wishing I ordered this pump earlier.

FTS Monday just got the SLW10 in and couldn’t be happier with the flow just need to move the candy cane and glue it down and find some gsp or something that can handle decent flow and moderate light and see if the lfs will trade in a devils hand. Taken on IPhone XR and edited with snap seed.

0A6E92C4-7768-49ED-BC49-AB0BECE83A85.jpeg

• Like 3

Anyone know some corals with a pop or red or orange I’ve been looking for something that can handle a little bit of good flow, I was thinking an a can but seeing how my candy cane doesn’t like that spot maybe something else? Maybe a rock flower anemone?

• Like 1

Well s*%# I just found bubble algae on a old frag plug that must have been waiting to show up, now I have two reasons to move the candy canes, I’m going to remove from the plug and glue to the rocks hopefully that solves the problem now.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
6 hours ago, Edwardfish said:

Anyone know some corals with a pop or red or orange I’ve been looking for something that can handle a little bit of good flow, I was thinking an a can but seeing how my candy cane doesn’t like that spot maybe something else? Maybe a rock flower anemone?

The first thing I can think of immediately would be something like a peach or forest fire digitata, but I'm not sure if you're delving into SPS. Nonetheless, these are supposed to be easier.

You could find the right colored favia/favites colony to put there. RFAs are considered "moderate" flow so that's possible too. Mini carpets are also another small anemone worth considering.

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56
7 hours ago, Edwardfish said:

21 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

The first thing I can think of immediately would be something like a peach or forest fire digitata, but I'm not sure if you're delving into SPS. Nonetheless, these are supposed to be easier.

You could find the right colored favia/favites colony to put there. RFAs are considered "moderate" flow so that's possible too. Mini carpets are also another small anemone worth considering.

E47AF4D7-AD0A-45E5-B486-503F0AFA0A91.thumb.jpeg.ab98d693404c99aefe5b3da70dd30d1c.jpeg

bubble gum digi! Super bright red under blues

• Like 1
coryscritch
13 hours ago, Edwardfish said:

red hot Montipora setosa. 

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Since other recommendations seem to be sps, I’m gonna go with red acan, there are plenty of color morphs to choose from - so go wild. 🌈

Actually +1 to this!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

I think a might try a Digi soon idk how much light and flow they need compared to a Stylo or birds nest tho. I am successfully growing the green birds nest and recovering a purple Stylo I almost killed with a month of not enough light:/

9 hours ago, Cencalfishguy56 said:

E47AF4D7-AD0A-45E5-B486-503F0AFA0A91.thumb.jpeg.ab98d693404c99aefe5b3da70dd30d1c.jpeg

bubble gum digi! Super bright red under blues

wow those look really good any tips?

3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Since other recommendations seem to be sps, I’m gonna go with red acan, there are plenty of color morphs to choose from - so go wild. 🌈

Lucky me a red acan frag just got taken in to My lfs now I have to go back lol

• Like 3