Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s WB55.2

mitten_reef

TheKleinReef
27 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Fun stuff, woke up to the return pump not running this morning.  😅 

luckily, I like to hoard equipment and have an M1 in the backroom ready to swap in. I feel so special now running a fancy ecotech pump for the first time. 😂

Okay this scares me. Cause I don’t have a backup. 

Time to order one. 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I like to hoard equipment and have an M1 in the backroom ready to swap in. I feel so special now running a fancy ecotech pump for the first time. 😂

fancy GIF by Iggy Azalea

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
mitten_reef
22 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Okay this scares me. Cause I don’t have a backup. 

Time to order one. 

A backup return pump is pretty crucial to me.  Considering that both the heater and dosing lines are usually in the sump, not having a functioning return for extended period is not good. 

An alternative, if you don’t have a backup, is to move the heater and dosing line and temporarily mount it to the back of the display, which I did for a few hours with my heater while I went out for brunch. 

• Like 2
banasophia
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Seeing an onset of dino. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Oh no, not good… what do you think is going on?

mitten_reef
5 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh no, not good… what do you think is going on?

No idea. I was feeding VERY heavy for a few weeks to fatten up my new coris wrasse.  But then completely skipped feeding last wknd. 🤦🏻‍♂️ and snot string had slowly started showing up earlier this wk. 

I’ve lowered my white channels and dumping extra Red Sea AB+ and Brightwell Restor into the water the last two days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
banasophia
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

No idea. I was feeding VERY heavy for a few weeks to fatten up my new coris wrasse.  But then completely skipped feeding last wknd. 🤦🏻‍♂️ and snot string had slowly started showing up earlier this wk. 

I’ve lowered my white channels and dumping extra Red Sea AB+ and Brightwell Restor into the water the last two days. 

Well hopefully those measures will nip it in the bud. 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
14 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Seeing an onset of dino. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I got it in the new tank I set up in my office. I dosed hydrogen peroxide a couple times a day for about a month and it knocked it out. No ill effects to any of the livestock. 

j think I got up to about 30ml a day, with another 60 gallons of water volume. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
10 hours ago, banasophia said:

Well hopefully those measures will nip it in the bud. 🤞🤞🤞

Thanks! Pretty much my go to when I had to deal with in the past.  Lower light and increase liquid supplement. 

9 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I got it in the new tank I set up in my office. I dosed hydrogen peroxide a couple times a day for about a month and it knocked it out. No ill effects to any of the livestock. 

j think I got up to about 30ml a day, with another 60 gallons of water volume. 

oooh yeah, I could use a lil h2o2 thrown in there. Thanks for mentioning that.  I need to check if I have any, if not I’ll grab a new bottle on this wknd grocery run.  I did see zoas got passed off in the past. But I only have one Rasta colony that I care about atm, and that thing is bulletproof. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Zoas hate peroxide for a few hours but they always bounce back. I’ve covered them in pure peroxide before and they were fine lol 

Blastos too, I swear they start closing up and looking pissy before peroxide even hits the water.

• Like 1
mitten_reef

still battling dino....same strategy above. but now tune the hydra to 20000K, so mostly blue now and cut their power down to 70%. 

seen slight increase in dino the past few days.   but nothing crazy.  the crazy part is how dirty (algae) my glass is right now, lol

mitten_reef
3 hours ago, Lebowski_ said:

mitts, are those Rics in your avatar in this tank?

Nah, slowly lost them when this tank was maturing/gaining stability.  Traded in the last few to LFS a few weeks ago. 

But yeah, they’re mine. They did super well in my old tank. Might have to go back quite a bit. But this was the old thread where some sweet pics resided.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...
mitten_reef

tank still chugging along, not much to report...still trying to bring everything back to their pre-dino health and coloration

On 5/31/2023 at 4:15 PM, ml86743 said:

You'll get ahead of it, time is really the best course of action!  Sorry if I skipped over this, but do you run a UV?

sorry didn't reply to this.  no, I don't run a UV.  

On 6/1/2023 at 11:44 AM, tidepooldreamer said:

Good luck with your dinos!

thank you for stopping by.  it was a short battle, but the corals def took a bit of a hit with colors and PE.  

• Like 4
mitten_reef

Since I cleaned my glass this past wknd. 

the colors are coming back, but there def are some areas on that pink tip that are bleached, and I’m not even sure how. The light intensity is still much lower than my peak light I used to have on. 

still working on more PE, but that had been a constant struggle, as not all my acros are ever happy at the same time. 

IMG_0558.thumb.jpeg.4a67c19b9996b4d131a2af400289d4d9.jpeg

• Like 9
mitten_reef

have some credit banked w/ the LFS, really contemplating getting a 4 foot display tank that they have.  haven't actually seen/inspect/measure that tank closely yet.  And probably won't be until late summer to early fall to make that final decision.  the cost of additional lighting is gonna be the biggest hurdle for me...

mitten_reef
5 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

have some credit banked w/ the LFS, really contemplating getting a 4 foot display tank that they have.  haven't actually seen/inspect/measure that tank closely yet.  And probably won't be until late summer to early fall to make that final decision.  the cost of additional lighting is gonna be the biggest hurdle for me...

well sh!t, that idea was short-lived.  LFS stopped over to deliver some water.  yes, I still buy water, both RO and premixed lately, cuz I'm too lazy/busy to do it myself.  he told me one of his new employees just offer to work for free in exchange for the tank I was looking to get, 🤷‍♂️, can't beat that offer.  
I snoozed, I lose. 

• Wow 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2