Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s WB55.2

mitten_reef

I say this has healed up nicely.  The flesh now covers all the exposed skeleton. there’s still some obvious sign that it’s still healing. But good progress. See how much the skeleton was exposed on first day below. 

34B7A394-16E1-4846-8BEA-23ED22F9B52B.thumb.jpeg.24b4ab8d3968c433c2101e925817f796.jpeg

first day

D293D5A9-D456-465C-BE80-52702E91627D.thumb.jpeg.99223821016d6068516e759acb7f6af6.jpeg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

What I mean is: The systems should be healthy enough where the coral should recover by just existing there. 
they should not rely on getting corals out of their tanks and into consumer’s hands ASAP before they die. 

Ideal world, yes, unfortunately it's also hard as hell to maintain stable params and systems when things are constantly moving in and out.

It'd be amazing if every LFS could go coral-farm route and have 1000 gallon systems plumbed into each other with QT tanks and calcium reactors keeping everything perfect, but I mean, they can't lol.

Splash that in with their buying and selling second-hand trans-shipped simple animals which might look totally fine but be DOA in a month from the stress and you're going to have losses, same goes for fish unfortunately.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Ideal world, yes, unfortunately it's also hard as hell to maintain stable params and systems when things are constantly moving in and out.

It'd be amazing if every LFS could go coral-farm route and have 1000 gallon systems plumbed into each other with QT tanks and calcium reactors keeping everything perfect, but I mean, they can't lol.

Splash that in with their buying and selling second-hand trans-shipped simple animals which might look totally fine but be DOA in a month from the stress and you're going to have losses, same goes for fish unfortunately.

and this is why brick and mortar LFS are dead or dying compared to the unique corals, TSA, cherry corals stores of the world. If the main goal is to sell livestock, it should probably be the main focus, not moving stuff in and out as fast as possible.

half assing multiple things (fish, product, coral) seems less efficient than whole assing one thing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

And a midday pic to those who are averse to blue light. The flesh is fully covered in my opinion. Just need for the pigment to come in

12B3B9D9-385A-471F-A80E-C0B713A574C9.thumb.jpeg.a90cdad68fd672940938ab5bdc081425.jpeg

I’d spot feed that thing every few nights, for a week or two.  I’m not super into plate corals, but fleshy LPS like that heal with feeding.  If you have something stinky like.Min s or polyp booster, chum in the water, and then give it a few pallets once it starts to show a feeding response.  If not, broadcast a small amount of powder food into the water.  Hopefully this will trigger its feet in response at which point toss in a couple of pallets.

I’ve never done it on a plate coral, but I’ve seen it work on other single polyp stony stuff.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PJPS said:

I’d spot feed that thing every few nights, for a week or two.  I’m not super into plate corals, but fleshy LPS like that heal with feeding.  If you have something stinky like.Min s or polyp booster, chum in the water, and then give it a few pallets once it starts to show a feeding response.  If not, broadcast a small amount of powder food into the water.  Hopefully this will trigger its feet in response at which point toss in a couple of pallets.

I’ve never done it on a plate coral, but I’ve seen it work on other single polyp stony stuff.

I’ll have to give that a go. I had good success reviving the scoly thru feeding.  I was hesitant to try to feed it anything chunky, to not attract the crabs and the shrimp to it.  Now that it is mostly healed, the feeding can begin. 

10 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I’ll have to give that a go. I had good success reviving the scoly thru feeding.  I was hesitant to try to feed it anything chunky, to not attract the crabs and the shrimp to it.  Now that it is mostly healed, the feeding can begin. 

Broadcast some probiotic powder and the inverts won’t bother it 😊

• Like 1
15 hours ago, PJPS said:

Broadcast some probiotic powder and the inverts won’t bother it 😊

dont know anything about probiotic....so far, I have yet to toss anything into the tank that gets the plate excited about food.  mysis cube, RS AB+, Brightwell zooplankton, crushed up brightwell LPS pellets - nothing so far.  I have the barrier reef lab powder and LRS nano frozen that I can try.  don't really plan on buying any more food/supplements at this time - everything i have is a bit overstocked at my house as is, lol.  

15 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

If plates are ANYTHING like acan's,it will LOVE some spot feeding. 

Do you have any frozen brine or just pellets ? 

see above.  I'm well aware of acans, blastos, scolys feeding behavior, and I have seen some IG vid of plate corals being fed meaty food.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

dont know anything about probiotic....so far, I have yet to toss anything into the tank that gets the plate excited about food.  mysis cube, RS AB+, Brightwell zooplankton, crushed up brightwell LPS pellets - nothing so far.  I have the barrier reef lab powder and LRS nano frozen that I can try.  don't really plan on buying any more food/supplements at this time - everything i have is a bit overstocked at my house as is, lol.  

Try the LRS nano frozen, that's perfect.  The idea with the probiotic, is just some small particulatete in the water.  Crabs and shrimp tend to preocupy themselves with pods and the like, teeny-tiny food they seem to dig.  LRS has the same microfauna in it.  Let it sit at room temp, get a bit stinky, feed some "broth" into a powerhead 5 min prior to giving the plate a meaty chunk or shrimp.  All done, one food, love LRS :).

If that doesn't do it I'd try variations on the theme.  Distract any bothersome inverts with a snack they like, then get that plate fed ninja style while they're distracted 🙂

edit: Something else came to mind... if you have any of those algae discs (hikari or whoever) those often attract them, and are easy to pull out after they've served their distraction purpose.  But I think the LRS will be perfect.

edit 2:  I forgot to mention, only do it every other night. Give it time to expel whatever it needs to. I forgot you can unnecessarily stress it out by overfeeding it.

This is also why I don’t target feed.  I’d kill them with kindness I’m sure 😜

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

All healed, even got about 50% of the color back.  It’s rotated from the original photos from tank maintenance yesterday 

4599798E-A532-4118-9489-478849ED2AAC.thumb.jpeg.127fdb057391b8d5d612bb202db52afd.jpeg

Happy to hear it's on the mend!  I always hear rumblings that plates do poorly long term in aquariums, how old is yours?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, PJPS said:

Happy to hear it's on the mend!  I always hear rumblings that plates do poorly long term in aquariums, how old is yours?

Just brought it home last wknd, 😂.  Yes, I occasionally bought a damaged coral. 

If you go far back enough you might see my scoly recovery stuff, unless it was on the other tank thread. That was a fun recovery. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Just brought it home last wknd, 😂.  Yes, I occasionally bought a damaged coral. 

If you go far back enough you might see my scoly recovery stuff, unless it was on the other tank thread. That was a fun recovery. 

I'm all for rehabbing a good bargain :).  I was just curious if it was older than 6 months in your tank.  I want one for the easy tank, but not if it's destined to be impossible to keep alive long term 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PJPS said:

I'm all for rehabbing a good bargain :).  I was just curious if it was older than 6 months in your tank.  I want one for the easy tank, but not if it's destined to be impossible to keep alive long term 🙂

It seems to go either way, they either thrive and eventually reproduce by dying back and shedding dozens of babies from their skeleton (or just die for no reason), or they whither like elegances and goni's of old. I have no idea what the deciding factor is either.

TBH, these new red and orange tongue corals seem like the perfect compromise for the texture and color of fungia plates, all while being very, very easy to keep alive and growing. Downside is they get massive XD

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PJPS said:

9 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

It seems to go either way, they either thrive and eventually reproduce by dying back and shedding dozens of babies from their skeleton (or just die for no reason), or they whither like elegances and goni's of old. I have no idea what the deciding factor is either.

TBH, these new red and orange tongue corals seem like the perfect compromise for the texture and color of fungia plates, all while being very, very easy to keep alive and growing. Downside is they get massive XD

These are interesting notes. I have no idea these guys have a “shelf life”, or shall we say “tank life”?   I’m aware that they can eventually drop babies, which makes me pretty excited on that possibility 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Sorry @joshthebox, I decided to chop all the digi yesterday and donated to one of the LFS.  Gonna plant the ssc in its place I think. 

pic to follow once I scrape the glass

Nooooo going to miss it!!! Good choice though, SSC is one of my favourites :biggrin: Do share some pics! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
19 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

These are interesting notes. I have no idea these guys have a “shelf life”, or shall we say “tank life”?   I’m aware that they can eventually drop babies, which makes me pretty excited on that possibility 

Yeah, I haven't a clue, I do know I've seen a couple which got absolutely massive 8"+, eventually they all seem to want to bud off but it can take them a looong time to decide to; or at least that's the impression I got from reading ages ago.

• Like 1
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2