Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mitten_reef’s WB55.2

mitten_reef

8 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

Meh bourbon. I’d rather spend my money on single malt. 

7 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Lol, It's a bad time to be into that hobby right now, prices on everything are crazy outside controlled states, I genuinely cannot believe some of the mark-ups on mundane bourbons I'm seeing. Eagle rare and Buffalo trace becoming hard to find or worth 4-5x msrp (stagg junior prices are outright nauseating if you bought the stuff 6 years ago for $50) while hundreds of smaller distillery bottles sit dusty on shelves is borderline disgraceful. Guilty of having a few on my bucket-list to try, but they're things nobody's chasing like stranahan blue, or glenfarclas 10, silt city rye or killbeggan (Most ain't bourbon lol).

Might be stupid or selfish, but I'm just happy that Laphroaig QA cask and the new Illegal Smooth from Dewars haven't been hit by a "hype train" yet.

@ECLS Reefer
There are some really fantastic American single malts which are affordable and delicious, just really limited distribution right now.

hey, hey, let's not get carried away here....single malt's are delicious and I have one nice Japanese (yamazaki 12) in my cabinet.  with limited buying power, I still have at least 2 bottles of scotch I need to get around Balvenie Caribbean Cask and one Aberlour (12yr, 16yr don't matter much just need one - A-12yr was my wedding day bottle)   

26 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

whats the monti on the right?  beach bum????

yes, beach bum - highly recommend for a monti-head.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

hey, hey, let's not get carried away here....single malt's are delicious and I have one nice Japanese (yamazaki 12) in my cabinet.  with limited buying power, I still have at least 2 bottles of scotch I need to get around Balvenie Caribbean Cask and one Aberlour (12yr, 16yr don't matter much just need one - A-12yr was my wedding day bottle)   

Oh Caribbean Cask is my favorite every day Scotch!!! Double oak behind it. The Glenmorangie D’ Or and the Signature are both fabulous especially with dessert or carbs, both of which are staple foods for me 😂

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I like Scotch. Balvenie and Glenmorangie are my go to labels. 

Glenmorangie's pretty solid, in terms of "non-islay taste" my favorite is still bunnahabhain 12 cask strength, fantastic value on that bottle (still islay though lol).

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Lol, the collecting part of the hobby is the dangerous part of the hobby isn't it? 

1 minute ago, ECLS Reefer said:

Oh Caribbean Cask is my favorite every day Scotch!!! Double oak behind it.

Both stellar, but getting a bit expensive locally.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Glenmorangie's pretty solid, in terms of "non-islay taste" my favorite is still bunnahabhain 12 cask strength, fantastic value on that bottle (still islay though lol).

Lol, the collecting part of the hobby is the dangerous part of the hobby isn't it? 

Both stellar, but getting a bit expensive locally.

Yeah a little here too. My husband just bought me a new bottle of double oak because he didn’t want to shell out the $90 for Caribbean cask. And the Glenmorangie signature is nearly $200 around here. I’ve heard good things about the Bunnahabhain but haven’t tried it yet. I do know I can’t handle the peat flavor of Glenfidditch

1 hour ago, ECLS Reefer said:

Yeah a little here too. My husband just bought me a new bottle of double oak because he didn’t want to shell out the $90 for Caribbean cask. And the Glenmorangie signature is nearly $200 around here. I’ve heard good things about the Bunnahabhain but haven’t tried it yet. I do know I can’t handle the peat flavor of Glenfidditch

That's a tough recommendation without knowing you better, I'd try the normal 12 in a mini (I think they still make those) before committing.
It's very, very mild and very sherry-cask forward, but it's still islay. There's a fantastic website I'd recommend once shipping prices come back down which basically drams things out for you, lets you try anything they have, but that also requires shipping from Denmark.

Prices are a bummer right now, for the most part I'm just not branching out on it at all, past the normal stuff we keep around to sip on once every few weeks, and playing with coffee, wine, and craft beers instead for the time being. Granted I've played with wine/beer ever since spending most of my 20's working in wine cellars lol, have a nebbiolo with 10 years sitting and aging away alongside argentinian amarone and a handful of other goodies.

Sorry for the Hijack!

Edit: Fine Drams

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

That's a tough recommendation without knowing you better, I'd try the normal 12 in a mini (I think they still make those) before committing.
It's very, very mild and very sherry-cask forward, but it's still islay. 

Prices are a bummer right now, for the most part I'm just not branching out on it at all, past the normal stuff we keep around to sip on once every few weeks, and playing with coffee, wine, and craft beers instead for the time being. Granted I've played with wine/beer ever since spending most of my 20's working in wine cellars lol, have a nebbilo with 10 years sitting and aging away alongside argentinian amarone and a handful of other goodies.

Sorry for the Hijack!

I know his thread suddenly became a whiskey add

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I know his thread suddenly became a whiskey add

I love whiskeys....lemme show you how the cabinet is looking

7C19CC5B-1495-4F1F-A9B1-D123759EC95B.thumb.jpeg.d3063fb2deee85e101ca6d73d811b16e.jpeg

especially love the idea of buying the half-bottles for taste test...I'll be getting a maker's for future "daily".  Got the BT products two wks ago during "the hunt".  As you can see, no Scotch yet, sigh.

• Like 4
46 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Oh, then you are going to like the dosing containers I'm working on! Just finishing up the 2nd bottle now since I got the idea. My favorite "regular" scotch and also my wedding day bottle (wish I saved that one!)

20220131_133026.thumb.jpg.740f7ec0d73c092bc1dcaba212bcb3f6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Oh, then you are going to like the dosing containers I'm working on! Just finishing up the 2nd bottle now since I got the idea. My favorite "regular" scotch and also my wedding day bottle (wish I saved that one!)

20220131_133026.thumb.jpg.740f7ec0d73c092bc1dcaba212bcb3f6.jpg

Yeah the Balvenie!!!!! 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

50609499036_c5b00ad8c7_h.jpg

I don't think this was your pack, but I only had two yellow acros, the ones on the left there.  Which of the yellow are you talking about, please say the bottom-left (cuz I lost all of mine, haha).  And I thought I had a safe-ish backup of it with @Cannedfish but then poof, he's gone.

The upper left is the classic pink lemonade.

Looking good! Oh and BTW, I'm a Port Charlotte 10yr guy and have no problem drinking a Knob Creek 9yr over many other expensive bourbons that I've had.😜

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, tmc1313 said:

Looking good! Oh and BTW, I'm a Port Charlotte 10yr guy and have no problem drinking a Knob Creek 9yr over many other expensive bourbons that I've had.😜

that pic was dug up from the old tank, unfortunately.  the current one is still finding its footing.  Literally, found a ton of bubbles on rock and sand this morning, only means one thing, sigh.  

oooh, we're getting a lil peaty here...didn't realize @A.m.P was talking about a peaty bottle as well....  I'm ok with a lil peat.  Had a chance to taste Octomore, yeah, not again on that one, haha actually, i'll do it if someone serves it as a free tasting flight, but would never buy that for personal consumption, haha. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

The upper left is the classic pink lemonade.

I think it's that one. but its def developing some gold undertones. I see the pink coming through, and it has a purple/blue encrusting line.

I think the only three that survived were the Oregon (barely, it's still like 0.cm across), kat, and the lemonade.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

oooh, we're getting a lil peaty here...didn't realize @A.m.P was talking about a peaty bottle as well....  I'm ok with a lil peat.  Had a chance to taste Octomore, yeah, not again on that one, haha actually, i'll do it if someone serves it as a free tasting flight, but would never buy that for personal consumption, haha. 

Lol, I wouldn't place Bunnahabhain as peaty; I'm just disappointed with the bourbon market right now but that's mostly my own fault. My old favorites have been swept up in the second-hand scalper/lotto nonsense (Bookers, stagg jr, Basil haydens *All used to be $45-60*) and even fallbacks like four roses single barrel and woodford double oak have seen some nasty price hikes that I just can't get behind.
Most of the bottles I'm interested in/excited-about are from small distillers with a distribution radius' the size of a quarter, so I've fallen back on peat, it's harder to drink the same volume of them anyway and my liver's probably grateful for that.

Oh, and definitely don't recommend Laphroaig then lol.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

that pic was dug up from the old tank, unfortunately.  the current one is still finding its footing.  Literally, found a ton of bubbles on rock and sand this morning, only means one thing, sigh.  

Oh, you think dinos? Have you checked nutrient levels? Can't remember, are you also running UV?

42 minutes ago, tmc1313 said:

Oh, you think dinos? Have you checked nutrient levels? Can't remember, are you also running UV?

Yeah, pretty sure.  My tank has been on the low nutrients side, but I haven't tested N & P in a while.  but I haven't had any growth on zoas, or coloration on the monti.  the beach bum is rather gray-ish currently.  my glass stays pretty darn clean for days.  I don't have UV right now, but that might be on the shortlist of future tank gadget, considering that dino seems to be ever present in this tank (I think it flared up twice last year).  Quite a record, considering the tank was transferred in around April, haha.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 1/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, mitten_reef said:

Some first sign on better things to come, we have growth tips!!!omgomgomg

don’t mind the colors, they are way off because of the orange filter 

8E7B010E-3B85-4421-8432-ADBA864CDD6E.thumb.jpeg.3377341de454863ee81804104c3a2107.jpeg

1A92E5B1-B29E-4A53-A7DA-B1D0CE73A688.thumb.jpeg.8aaf8ce9cd1af79779619b50c761e414.jpeg

more growth tips!! Woo!

• Like 7
On 2/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, ninjamyst said:

I am battling dino in my 13g right now.  It's the worst.  Finally seeing some green algae show up to outcompete the dino...

so, about them dino....

I saw some sign of it showing up last Mon, then the tank pretty much covered in bubbles by Tuesday lunch time (I work at home).  I drop the white, green, and red channels on Hydra's down to 0 as soon as I saw that.  dumped in about 20 ml of fuel and my last 10-15 ml of Restor tuesday afternoon.  threw in a few pinches of powder coral food from BA (shaken to mix before of course).  oh and about 20 ml of peroxide after I blew off as many bubbles from the rocks and racks (didn't blow the sand).

did similar feeding again at night, PLUS a cube of mysis for the fish.  Wednesday morning before leaving town for the rest of the week, I added the same stuff AGAIN, now plus one cube each of frozen rotifer and cyclopods (instead of power food), removed my filter pad.  simply hoping that I spiked enough nutrients that it'll last the tank 5 days.   

Sunday evening - got home, no bubbles, well except, lots of bubble algae popped up and some hair algae, but no more dino bubble or strings.  corals were showing even better colors than when I left them.  I call that luck, 😅.  And I really need to feed my tank more on regular basis....  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

so, about them dino....

I saw some sign of it showing up last Mon, then the tank pretty much covered in bubbles by Tuesday lunch time (I work at home).  I drop the white, green, and red channels on Hydra's down to 0 as soon as I saw that.  dumped in about 20 ml of fuel and my last 10-15 ml of Restor tuesday afternoon.  threw in a few pinches of powder coral food from BA (shaken to mix before of course).  oh and about 20 ml of peroxide after I blew off as many bubbles from the rocks and racks (didn't blow the sand).

did similar feeding again at night, PLUS a cube of mysis for the fish.  Wednesday morning before leaving town for the rest of the week, I added the same stuff AGAIN, now plus one cube each of frozen rotifer and cyclopods (instead of power food), removed my filter pad.  simply hoping that I spiked enough nutrients that it'll last the tank 5 days.   

Sunday evening - got home, no bubbles, well except, lots of bubble algae popped up and some hair algae, but no more dino bubble or strings.  corals were showing even better colors than when I left them.  I call that luck, 😅.  And I really need to feed my tank more on regular basis....  

awesome!  bye bye dino, hello everything else...hahahah.  At least you didn't get cyano.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2