ReefCleaners.org

Mitten_reef’s WB55.2

mitten_reef

On 1/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, TheKleinReef said:

Teach my brain coral to be puffy 😞

Do you target feed your lps?  Might want to try.

Some first sign on better things to come, we have growth tips!!!omgomgomg

don’t mind the colors, they are way off because of the orange filter 

8E7B010E-3B85-4421-8432-ADBA864CDD6E.thumb.jpeg.3377341de454863ee81804104c3a2107.jpeg

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

yeah i turn the pumps down and cover it in reef roids, usually once a week, twice if i remember.

try some real meaty food like mysis or LRS...that's what I feed the scoly

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

try some real meaty food like mysis or LRS...that's what I feed the scoly

the clowns will nab it super quick. I'd have to build a little cage or something

I haven't even seen the feeding tentacles out ever 😕

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
15 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

the clowns will nab it super quick. I'd have to build a little cage or something

I haven't even seen the feeding tentacles out ever 😕

If your clowns steal food, they don't get enough food to eat.  I feed one cube (blister pack) for two clowns and a YWG, my possum wrasse eats very little of the chunky food.  usually mid way thru feeding fish, clowns will bite but then spit out food, cuz they're full, haha.  That's when they don't harass the scoly's and NPS for whatever food i target at them.  bonus is, while the original broadcast feeding for the fish, it usually kinda "ring the dinner bell" for those that get target feed - i usually let the broadcast feed goes for about 5-10 min before i shut the flow off completely to target feed, or sometimes i leave it on feed mode for gentle flow of food around the display only.  this is easier the later in your light schedule it is for the targeted corals, they seem to show better feeding reaction the "darker" the tank gets.  once they get used to the feeding, they may start being more receptive at higher light level - you just have to slowly move your target-feeding schedule up...

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

If your clowns steal food, they don't get enough food to eat.  I feed one cube (blister pack) for two clowns and a YWG, my possum wrasse eats very little of the chunky food.  usually mid way thru feeding fish, clowns will bite but then spit out food, cuz they're full, haha.  That's when they don't harass the scoly's and NPS for whatever food i target at them.  bonus is, while the original broadcast feeding for the fish, it usually kinda "ring the dinner bell" for those that get target feed - i usually let the broadcast feed goes for about 5-10 min before i shut the flow off completely to target feed, or sometimes i leave it on feed mode for gentle flow of food around the display only.  this is easier the later in your light schedule it is for the targeted corals, they seem to show better feeding reaction the "darker" the tank gets.  once they get used to the feeding, they may start being more receptive at higher light level - you just have to slowly move your target-feeding schedule up...

they steal food out of spite lol i feed the fish 3x a day but sometimes the clowns don't go after the food, they stay by there corner. when they want food they'll aggressively go after it.

i 100% regret adding clowns

i also think my angel is nipping at the braincoral. so there's that

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

they steal food out of spite lol i feed the fish 3x a day but sometimes the clowns don't go after the food, they stay by there corner. when they want food they'll aggressively go after it.

i 100% regret adding clowns

well, in that case, i got nothing....a-hole fish are just gonna be a-hole fish, haha.  that potter angel looks so nice tho....i'd evict clowns before that angel.  I have a flame on hold at LFS...might pick up next week - that'll be an interesting addition - gotta hope i get the one that isn't a nipper.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

That has my vote for why it doesn't eat enthusiastically or fully-inflate.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

That has my vote for why it doesn't eat enthusiastically or fully-inflate.

i strategically placed the brain by the clowns, cause the clowns chase the other fish away from their corner. it does work, but i'm sure the angel gets its nip inevery once in a while.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 1:59 PM, Murphych said:

Some amazing advice for feeding LPS here.. I'm sold! 👍🏼

Hi, there. thanks!  

11 hours ago, Kimosobey said:

Neat tank! Love the acros and clams. 

Thanks for stopping by, glad you enjoy them.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TheKleinReef said:

that lemonade thing coral you gave me finally has a growth tip!

and is pink and yellow ish. is that what it's supposed to be?

50609499036_c5b00ad8c7_h.jpg

I don't think this was your pack, but I only had two yellow acros, the ones on the left there.  Which of the yellow are you talking about, please say the bottom-left (cuz I lost all of mine, haha).  And I thought I had a safe-ish backup of it with @Cannedfish but then poof, he's gone.

The upper left is the classic pink lemonade.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
20 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I don't think this was your pack, but I only had two yellow acros, the ones on the left there.  Which of the yellow are you talking about, please say the bottom-left (cuz I lost all of mine, haha).  And I thought I had a safe-ish backup of it with @Cannedfish but then poof, he's gone.

Looks so beautiful - I love the blue stick the most. Is it a tenuis? (Not too well-versed in SPS; am still learning so apologies for the noob question) 😅

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Yes he gone. Why does he gas light us so??

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks so beautiful - I love the blue stick the most. Is it a tenuis? (Not too well-versed in SPS; am still learning so apologies for the noob question) 😅

The 3 acros in the middle of the top row are acropora tenuis.  The deep blue in the middle is oregon tort, acropora tortuosa.  dug up that latest frag rack shot was from the old thread, can see the difference of how things look back then vs now, sigh

19 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

Yes he gone. Why does he gas light us so??

🤷‍♂️ wish i knew what's he up to...  I'm up to my eyeballs on bourbons (~$300, there goes the coral money) purchase this month, all because he got me sucked into the whole bourbon hunting/drinking "hobby", and I feel the need to blame him for it.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
58 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

whats the monti on the right?  beach bum????

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

The 3 acros in the middle of the top row are acropora tenuis.  The deep blue in the middle is oregon tort, acropora tortuosa.  dug up that latest frag rack shot was from the old thread, can see the difference of how things look back then vs now, sigh

🤷‍♂️ wish i knew what's he up to...  I'm up to my eyeballs on bourbons (~$300, there goes the coral money) purchase this month, all because he got me sucked into the whole bourbon hunting/drinking "hobby", and I feel the need to blame him for it.  🤣

Meh bourbon. I’d rather spend my money on single malt. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Lol, It's a bad time to be into that hobby right now, prices on everything are crazy outside controlled states, I genuinely cannot believe some of the mark-ups on mundane bourbons I'm seeing. Eagle rare and Buffalo trace becoming hard to find or worth 4-5x msrp (stagg junior prices are outright nauseating if you bought the stuff 6 years ago for $50) while hundreds of smaller distillery bottles sit dusty on shelves is borderline disgraceful. Guilty of having a few on my bucket-list to try, but they're things nobody's chasing like stranahan blue, or glenfarclas 10, silt city rye or killbeggan (Most ain't bourbon lol).

Might be stupid or selfish, but I'm just happy that Laphroaig QA cask and the new Illegal Smooth from Dewars haven't been hit by a "hype train" yet.

@ECLS Reefer
There are some really fantastic American single malts which are affordable and delicious, just really limited distribution right now.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Lol, It's a bad time to be into that hobby right now, prices on everything are crazy outside controlled states, I genuinely cannot believe some of the mark-ups on mundane bourbons I'm seeing. Eagle rare and Buffalo trace becoming hard to find or worth 4-5x msrp (stagg junior prices are outright nauseating if you bought the stuff 6 years ago for $50) while hundreds of smaller distillery bottles sit dusty on shelves is borderline disgraceful. Guilty of having a few on my bucket-list to try, but they're things nobody's chasing like stranahan blue, or glenfarclas 10, silt city rye or killbeggan (Most ain't bourbon lol).

Might be stupid or selfish, but I'm just happy that Laphroaig QA cask and the new Illegal Smooth from Dewars haven't been hit by a "hype train" yet.

@ECLS Reefer
There are some really fantastic American single malts which are affordable and delicious, just really limited distribution right now.

I like Scotch. Balvenie and Glenmorangie are my go to labels. 

• Like 1
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2