ReefCleaners.org

Mitten_reef’s WB55.2

mitten_reef

10 hours ago, spectra said:

If we need photo advice where is @teenyreef 

That guy was good at it.............. miss him............. 

yup agree

10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

he still posts on IG sometimes. 

I haven’t followed him on there for a while since he stopped posting about his tank(s). But he did drop a like on one of my recent posts on there recently . 

10 hours ago, spectra said:

I dont do that............. this place is my go to............ 

we know 😂

10 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I actually just spoke with him on IG. He was saying he may stop in and say hi soon. I told him we all miss him greatly. 

Good to hear!

13 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Teeny and the guy from new orleans-forget his name, but he changed it, sooo...

@Cannedfish/blen_reef hasn’t been active in a long time, sadly.  I did see him showing off a brand new Red Sea Reefer about a year ago, but no update since.  @ECLS Reefer did learn a lot of tricks from him along the way, maybe she can join the photography topic.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

This morning, the plate is heading in the right direction with the wound healing. 

07F96C7D-2C63-44F0-8D22-5BF5537D5768.thumb.jpeg.b5afc8149e12ae82e86bbb9154c391b8.jpeg

vs yesterday afternoon

F1FDC0CC-396D-476C-82D0-3ADCC5096DBA.thumb.jpeg.4b93ba822de9d116e246ade609dd5511.jpeg

Might want to keep it inn heavy blues while it recovers.  While I like a nice full spectrum, the corals seem more "relaxed" in all blue.  Jake Adams mentioned this off-handedly years ago in some video.  I noticed the effect, then Andrew Sandler mentioned he'd noticed the same.  So now, when things are looking stressed/tight, or I'm light acclimating a new piece, It's all blue for a week or so.

It may be nonsense, but there's 3 anecdotes of varying weight...

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PJPS said:

Might want to keep it inn heavy blues while it recovers.  While I like a nice full spectrum, the corals seem more "relaxed" in all blue.  Jake Adams mentioned this off-handedly years ago in some video.  I noticed the effect, then Andrew Sandler mentioned he'd noticed the same.  So now, when things are looking stressed/tight, or I'm light acclimating a new piece, It's all blue for a week or so.

It may be nonsense, but there's 3 anecdotes of varying weight...

That’s an interesting note!  Let me figure out how to put the hydra’s on acclimate mode. Thanks!

1 hour ago, PJPS said:

A couple os sticks look sad since I changed my peak spectrum, so I’m taking my own advice and letting them cook in all blues.  I guess we’ll all find out if I’m talking shite or not.😜

What did you switch the peak spectrum to, from where, and why?  I’ve always run my midday around 13-14000K on the preset. The Hydra’s are set midday at 85% power and 13500K rn. 

15 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

What did you switch the peak spectrum to, from where, and why?  I’ve always run my midday around 13-14000K on the preset. The Hydra’s are set midday at 85% power and 13500K rn. 

I’ve been poking and prodding at it for weeks, like a dimwit.  I know better.  I’ve been trying to add a bunch of full spectrum.  I think I pushed it too hard.  Now I know the peak I want, I’ll let things chill for a while and then set it and ramp it up over weeks.

edit (forgot the deets).  I was running PHX 14, didn’t love it.  Then 14k, then 12k.  Forgetting that as I pull up warm white and cool white, those are half the leds on an xr15 pro, and not thinking of the extra par.  So now a couple of things look grumpy.

I’ve switched to milder (less caustic) dosing, so that’s unlikely to be it.  My leather sloughed the other day and nuked the acro right next to it.  So that may be what’s pissing them off, but in a an abundance of caution, flipping the lights to Blue seems easy. They spend half the day in all blue as it is, so won’t seem like a big change in spectrum.

and I have done a few tiny water changes and switched the carbon.

the chemistry and nutrients are all good

alk: 7

cal: 390

mag: 1340

no3: 15

po4: 0.27

• Like 1
13 hours ago, PJPS said:

edit (forgot the deets).  I was running PHX 14, didn’t love it.  Then 14k, then 12k.  Forgetting that as I pull up warm white and cool white, those are half the leds on an xr15 pro, and not thinking of the extra par.  So now a couple of things look grumpy.

Coincidentally, this is how I’ve been raising my light intensity.  I started out at 15000K, lowered it to 14000, then now 13500K. In between the spectrum steps, I raised the overall power by 5%, somewhat alternating between changing spectrum and increasing power.  I think I started at 15000K and 60-65% all the way to where I am at now, 13500 & 85%.  I don't think I want the Hydra's much whiter than they are now, but I may push to 13000K as my final "full spectrum" peak color - my blue+ led bars still carry plenty oomph to bring out colors under all that white.    
Yeah, definitely don’t discount the power of white channel.

Edited by mitten_reef
added more details
  • Like 3
On 1/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, mitten_reef said:

Do you target feed your lps?  Might want to try.

Some first sign on better things to come, we have growth tips!!!omgomgomg

don’t mind the colors, they are way off because of the orange filter 

8E7B010E-3B85-4421-8432-ADBA864CDD6E.thumb.jpeg.3377341de454863ee81804104c3a2107.jpeg

Crazy to see this is what the aquaticman looked like just a little over a year ago.  will take topdown of it sometimes this week.

• Like 1
On 2/6/2023 at 9:52 AM, mitten_reef said:

Just keeping track of the recovery….

@PJPS, I did put the hydra’s on acclimation mode for a week. Thanks for the tip, it doesn’t hurt anything to give it a try. 

0EB9AA3A-7FE6-4F41-85D6-375DED74D0CE.thumb.jpeg.1c9d9c9eec2658fa7df35b3cb794ba50.jpeg

Awesome stuff. Coral rehabilitation is the hardest part of this hobby. Takes alot of patience.

Reminds me of this macna talk i saw online recently. Just amazing how she was able to bring corals back from the brink: 

Made me think i should offer my lfs pennies for their dying sps and lps. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

100% not worth. As a retailer they should be able to rehab corals and fish, if they can’t…… welllllllll

they don't have the time mostly...for most shops, the main income is service.  And when they sell service client a few import or maricultured colonies, they make up for most of the losses.    

I'll take a guess on the cost on that plate corals that my LFS needed from me to break even, anyone?  And also what you think its nice healthy version would sell for? 

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

they don't have the time mostly

What I mean is: The systems should be healthy enough where the coral should recover by just existing there. 
they should not rely on getting corals out of their tanks and into consumer’s hands ASAP before they die. 

• Agree 1
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2