SaltCritters.com

RFA Unhappy?

kit-kat

I've had this RFA for almost 2 weeks now and it has never seemed happy.  The other one I have opened up big and stuck to the rock immediately and eats anything happily.  This one is much bigger and never really lays out flat and I don't think he's eating (he definitely won't take mysis stuck to his tentacles, they just sit there until they eventually come loose and blow away, but I've sprayed reef roids at his mouth, maybe he ate that?).  The little one gobbles anything/everything by closing up and shoving it's tentacles into its mouth.  The big one doesn't do anything except look unsettled. 

I have seen the big one expell some poop but that was a few days ago.

My suspicion is that it doesn't like the higher flow and light at the top of the rock and it's trying to crawl away but is stuck in the depression of the rock? 

14g led biocube. 

Nitrates .2ish nitrites 0 ammonia 0

Only fish is a longfin clown who hasn't been bothering him that I've seen, he is still young and timid (hasn't turned into a jerk, yet).

I do have a peppermint shrimp, but I've never seen him on top of the rocks before/anywhere near the RFA.

Any advice?

IMG_20200523_115008.jpg

IMG_20200523_115021.jpg

NoOneLikesADryTang

As long as his foot is anchored down, I wouldn’t worry too much. He may be adjusting to flow, or light. His color looks good, and his mouth looks fine. I’m guessing it’s just recovering from the stress of being plucked out of the ocean, sitting in who knows how many tanks and shipping until it ultimately got to you. 

5 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

As long as his foot is anchored down, I wouldn’t worry too much. He may be adjusting to flow, or light. His color looks good, and his mouth looks fine. I’m guessing it’s just recovering from the stress of being plucked out of the ocean, sitting in who knows how many tanks and shipping until it ultimately got to you. 

Thank you! That's very reassuring.  I just watched him barf up some more dark stuff, presumably poo, so maybe he had a big meal before he was abducted.

• Like 1

The RFA seems to still be doing well.  However I have a NEW problem with him.  Sigh.

So yesterday morning I noticed one of the nerites decided next to the big RFA was where it would hunker down for the day.  Well he's in the same spot this morning.  Hmm, suspicious, so I went to move him... He's stuck to the RFA!! Like really glued onto the RFAs tentacles! I couldn't pull him off and I tried pretty hard, I'm pretty sure I'll hurt the RFA if I try any harder.   This will be day #2 stuck there. How long can a snail live unable to move or eat?  He's pretty descent sized for a 14 gallon, I don't like the idea of him starving to death then rotting.  Any idea how to get him loose? Or will the RFA eventually let him go?