inTank Media Baskets

A word of advice on thermometers...

Chris O

Hi All,

Had an experience worth sharing to save some of you a headache. I've been using 2 digital thermometers to monitor the temperature of my nano reef, using each as a cross check. I've noticed the temperature on both could vary by a degree or two and both were constantly reading low. So, I kept cranking the heat up. My heater was basically at full blast when I decided to pickup a regular magnetized thermometer by JW. BOTH DIGITAL THERMOMETERS WERE OFF BY 10 DEGREES. I was roasting my green star polyp at 90 degrees. Sometimes keeping it simple with less tech is the safe way. This definitely explains a lot of problems going on. I hope none of you have the same issue, the thermometers I were using were ordered off of Amazon, do not buy these:

https://www.amazon.com/Windbells-Aquarium-Thermometer-Terrarium-Temperature/dp/B07RBPV8Q4/ref=zg_bs_2975477011_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0D4E6SHSK9ZWQQVBJQZA

Best,

Chris

• Like 1

Sorry you had to learn this the hard way. 

It seems that many brands sell that same digital thermometer, with barely any variation between them. I've had up to 5 of them in one tank, and they all read differently!! I now have a couple of floating thermometers that I can rotate between tanks to double check temperature every few weeks. 

Be careful with those little alcohol thermometers too. They can be just as inaccurate.

Your best bet is to check on things periodically with a calibrated instant read kitchen thermometer.

For what it's worth, I don't see anything but LCD thermometers for sale in local shops around here.

I like them and always use one as a backup, but I don't like be limited to just using them....they are durable and don't lose calibration...but precision is necessarily low....lower than a standard alcohol thermometer.

I will also say that after about 10 years I noticed the other day that my old digital thermometer is doing exactly what the OP saw on his cheapie.  Historically this one has read in solidarity with a Reefkeeper probe and an LCD thermometer, but after cleaning it and replacing the battery when I switched it to the new tank setup, apparently that was too much for it.  🤷‍♂️

I'd still recommend that thermometer if they still made it tho...it ran flawlessly on one battery for about 10 years straight.....but it looks like Lifeguard has switched to an all-internal design:

LifegardLEDThermometer-small

LIFEGARD® LED Digital Thermometer

They do still make the older-style "Big Time and Temp" which has alarming features (...but I had the smaller one):

LIFEGARD® Digital Thermometer

LIFEGARD® Digital Thermometer

I use 3 cheap digital thermometer, a laser gun and a cooking digital thermometer and take the average of those 4 and call it a day. 

• Haha 1