Pod Your Reef

The Island Biotope Reef

dpoltsdsu

Hello all, I have been away for a while but I am now in a position where I can settle down for a bit and start a tank journal for a reef I have been wanting to do for a while. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the thread!

THE CONCEPT - 

This reef is the cultivation of something I have been wanting to do for a while now. One of my passions is diving and I have fortunately gotten the priviledge to dive coral reefs of the Pacific as well as the Caribbean. I want this tank to showcase both parts of the world. I am going to have one "island" that is entirely focused on life from the Pacific and the other "island" will entirely have life from the Caribbean. The goal will be to have two rock formations that will both represent a different part of our tropical oceans. I have been very strict about this. Even the base live rock is from each location as to not have hitchhikers that would misrepresent the biotopes.

THE EQUIPMENT -

Tank - Red Ses Reefer 250

Lighting - Reef Breeders Photon 2 32

Skimmer - Deltec 

Flow - 2 Reef Breeders RPM pumps

Return Pump - Ecotech Vectra

ATO - Tunze Osmolator

Filtration- Filter cups and Cheato Refugium

I started this reef a couple of months back and have been really enjoying it thus far. Although this thread wont include the "start" of the tank as I had a lot of the coral already, I hope this can be a fun and unique thread for all to enjoy!

• Like 3

Here is the FTS as of May 22nd, 2020. I am pretty pleased with it right now and I don't think either of the "islands" out shine eachother. The Pacific Island is on the left and the Caribbean Island is on the right. I will have a detailed breakdown of each island soon!

20200522_200620-01.jpeg

• Like 5
Just now, dpoltsdsu said:

Here is the FTS as of May 22nd, 2020. I am pretty pleased with it right now and I don't think either of the "islands" out shine eachother. The Pacific Island is on the left and the Caribbean Island is on the right. I will have a detailed breakdown of each island soon!

Screenshot_20200522-201309_Gallery.jpg

I love this concept!......and it looks great. 😊

• Thanks 1
mitten_reef
11 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

20200522_200620-01.jpeg

Way to just casually drop back in with a FTS like that!!  Nice !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

biotopes yus.

also how's the LFS doing in OC? I'm from Tustin, but I moved to Maryland recently.

They seem to be doing OK so that's good. I vary between Seaside, Tongs, Amazing Aquariums and Reefs (my favorite),and Reef Lounge and they are all open as of right now! 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
18 hours ago, dpoltsdsu said:

They seem to be doing OK so that's good. I vary between Seaside, Tongs, Amazing Aquariums and Reefs (my favorite),and Reef Lounge and they are all open as of right now! 

AAR is super nice! Have you been to the Reef? It's in Anaheim, off State College and La Palma. That's my go-to when I was living with my parents.

• 2 months later...

Well - I recently switched jobs and have to downgrade again due to Apartment rules. I will attempt this on a larger scale one day in the future. I will be focusing on a smaller SPS dominant system in the meantime

• Sad 1