John_adam

DIY stand

John_adam

DIY for my JBJ 12 nano cube. 
Now to the stand. Let’s preface this by saying I’m no carpenter... not even close. I’ve never built a stand so be easy on my skills lol. I designed this mainly to hide power cords, controllers and the ato. But I wanted it higher than normal. So I decided to shoot for 40” tall. I also made it fit a 29 BioCube because knowing myself...the 12 will probably be upgraded down the road. So one stand to do it all.

Heres some current pictures and I’m looking for constructive criticism on what I should do differently or any changes that need to be made. My plan is to wrap it in 1/4” pine everywhere but the bottom and then the misses wants to work her magic by either painting or wrapping the stand to match our furniture. Shelf will be put in and the entire stand will be painted with kilz and corners sealed. So hammer away, let’s here y’all’s input on it before I go any further on it. And much to my surprise...its actually level. First time and I actually made the dang thing level...wow.

5A89C4EC-ABAD-4FA0-98A6-1D56C661E078.jpeg

1C939DBF-926A-4007-BEB6-8617A65B9D87.jpeg

C187DADB-48E7-491B-9368-08947EBC593F.jpeg

C14BF985-7D32-47F1-83F4-84ADDC4DCD17.jpeg

6D7343C5-5966-46A7-B682-02494F633D37.jpeg

CB02D6CA-AE9A-42A2-B01A-118FC915F692.jpeg

jservedio

Skin that thing in 1/2" ply and it'll hold more than 10 of your tank and then a lot more!

mitten_reef

Tbh, while it probably won’t budge once skinned up, there is no proper load transfer in any of your wood pieces other than through screws. 
google the term “rocket engineer reef central diy stand”.  You should stumble upon a thread where there’s a good overview/template of how put together a solid framing.

• Like 1

John_adam
7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Tbh, while it probably won’t budge once skinned up, there is no proper load transfer in any of your wood pieces other than through screws. 
google the term “rocket engineer reef central diy stand”.  You should stumble upon a thread where there’s a good overview/template of how put together a solid framing.

Just checked that thread and you’re absolutely right! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that when I was building this bad boy. That thread on RC I remember reading and using as a template for the design of my stands in 08 even though I never got around to making one of them. I’ll be adding the main supports soon! 

• Like 1

jservedio
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

He's got somewhere between 12 and 16 screws transferring the load from the horizontal to vertical members - even with crappy decking screws and entirely ignoring friction from compression, the shear strength on that alone is well over a ton. It's more than fine for a tank that's less than 100lbs filled.

If he put a top on the stand, he could park an F-350 on it. It's totally fine.

• Like 1