ReefCleaners.org

Can I turn the lights on yet???

JMH13

OK...

I am just starting my 10g Nano IM fusion.  I received 15lbs of LR from KP Aquatics on Tuesday that was sent overnight IN WATER!  I paid a ton for this because I wasn't sure when I would be able to get it in the tank.  

Thankfully, I had the rock in my tank in less than 24 hrs after it left Florida!  Nothing looked or smelled dead and hitchhikers alive!  This stuff is insane.

Its only been 3 days but Ammonia is still at 0, Nitrites at 0, Nitrates at 10.  I haven't seen it budge yet.  I fed the brittle stars with some shrimp on day 1 and its gone! Life is definitely in there!

Questions:

1) Can I start a brief lighting cycle with blue-predominant light to preserve some coralline algae?  Or will I risk and algae bloom?

2) Is there a chance that I WON'T ever see a true nitrogen cycle since my rock looked super awesome and was shipped in H20?

3) If no lights are recommended yet, what is the safe way to start lighting it???  When is it "go time"?

Thanks y'all...I love this forum.

1. You can cycle with the lights on - totally fine. With real live rock, you should have the lights on since there is likely a bunch of photosynthetic stuff on it. Preserve as much biodiversity as you can from that expensive live rock.

2. Yeah, you might not get any cycle. If you've got nitrates, you are likely done.

3. Right now - go for it!

I got a small bloom with my KPA rock but I put some snails in and they ate it all. It is very clean looking now... I personally would not worry 🙂

OMG. I am psyched about your advice!  Ok...I’ll set my light to an acclimatization setting for 2 weeks just to say I went slow with it. Thanks a lot.