Cultivated Reef

When to add first corals?

reeferehab

reeferehab

Recently cycled my nuvo 10 for about three weeks using brightwell aquatics quikcycl ammonia microbacter start xlm, and biospira (added this toward the end of the cycle which really accelerated the breakdown of nitrites into nitrates. Saw the ammonia spike and nitrite spike and did a large water change to bring my nitrates down to 10 ppm using the API test kit. I cycled with dry rock and caribsea live sand and made sure that my tank was able to convert 2ppm dosed ammonia to nitrates in under 24 hrs before adding my first fish.  About 1-2 days after this, i added my first clownfish and clean up crew. The clown seems to be happy and healthy and is eating. 

in terms of my cycle, I know the initial cycle is complete and that I have adequate bacteria population, but I have not seen any algae growth at all. I cycled for two weeks without the lights then decided to just turn on the light for the third week of the cycle and have been running it ever since (ai prime 16 hd). 

Should I wait for diatoms to appear then go away before adding my first corals? Or is it possible for newly cycled tanks to not experience diatom outbreaks. I plan on keeping some softies and mostly LPS, not interested in SPS until I have more experience keeping corals so maybe towards the end of the year. Any suggestions for beginner corals?

my parameters are 8.0pH, 35ppt salinity, 420ppm calcium, 1320ppm magnesium, 8.6 dKH, 10 ppm nitrates, and I keep the tank stable with a heater at 78 degrees and an ATO.

Thanks!

If I was a betting man, I think you'll still experience diatoms and possibly some other uglies.  It's natural and not a big deal though.

You could put in a couple of tester corals.  If you are going with soft corals, most leathers will be fine...cabbage, sinularia, etc.  Could try some zoas as well.  I'd start with a couple of cheap softies and see how they do.  Then you can start adding in LPS.  As you've stated, may want to wait until at least the 9 month mark to try out SPS.

I think one of the big challenges for newer reefers is lighting.  So many options to tinker with the leds, but that usually isn't  a good thing.  I would start your max intensity at about 30% and go from there.

It'll just take time for your tank to stabilize and for you to get a feel for how changes impact the tank.  

• Thanks 1
reeferehab
1 hour ago, DreC80 said:

If I was a betting man, I think you'll still experience diatoms and possibly some other uglies.  It's natural and not a big deal though.

You could put in a couple of tester corals.  If you are going with soft corals, most leathers will be fine...cabbage, sinularia, etc.  Could try some zoas as well.  I'd start with a couple of cheap softies and see how they do.  Then you can start adding in LPS.  As you've stated, may want to wait until at least the 9 month mark to try out SPS.

I think one of the big challenges for newer reefers is lighting.  So many options to tinker with the leds, but that usually isn't  a good thing.  I would start your max intensity at about 30% and go from there.

It'll just take time for your tank to stabilize and for you to get a feel for how changes impact the tank.  

Thanks for the input! I’m using the AB+ settings from BRS on my prime but I toned down the Intensity wayyyy down. Going to the LFS in the next day or so to see what corals they have in stock.  

• Like 1