Cultivated Reef

does my candy cane look dead

skitzo

im new to reefing and recently bought a candy cane, gsp and a hammer coral. gsp looks great and so does the hammer.... however i made the mistake of feeding my fish with the pump on. i came back to see my candy cane being picked at because of the flying food. obviously, operator erroe and i feel badly about being a bit irresponsible. however, does this look like it has any chance of bouncing back? if so, shgould i place it in a dark place? low flow? or is it so far gone i should toss it? i really appreciate any advice and/or thoughts. 

IMG_20200521_154322.jpg

It's really hard to tell from that picture.  To me, it kind of looks like it's showing it's feeder tentacles, which is a good thing. But it's blurry enough that what I think are feeders might be skeleton. 

The fact that there's still neon green tissue is a good thing.  It will probably be fine, as long as parameters are all in check.  

As a general rule for LPS, I would only remove dead ones if they have is a pest or disease that could spread, like brown jelly.  A lot of LPS can lose polyps and still eventually grow back from what looks like dead skeleton.  

• Like 1
House Reef

I agree. Still showing signs of life that. If those are feeding tentacles then that's a good thing as Sublunary said.

• Like 1

thanks so much for your quick responses!! parameters are all well... i waited impatiently for months to ensure water stability and everything was ideal before the introduction of anything.  also forgot to mention i have 2 small zoa frags which are open and well. GSP seems its grown overnight as well lol. 

I'm still not sure there's anything for it to recover from.  Fish stealing food shouldn't hurt it, and the picture isn't clear enough for us to see if there is actual damage.   Moving it might just stress it out.