Pod Your Reef

No real updates. What I can tell you is that I am about ready to through the Bluefish controller in the trash as it has been such a headache to try to get connected to the internet. I have already completely redesigned my internal network and also created a special 2.4GHZ only network to get out to the internet and it still will not hookup, so frustrating as by today standards 5 GHZ is out and been for years.

On a side note I have water tested and everything is going fine except for the scape. It is too tall to work in this DT. Not much room for corals to be on the top so I had to redesign it. Here is it current look. What do you think?

4C32C5D8-5C4E-4D07-A3FA-E3B8D478D0F4_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e529ff1763288be3dda56c522f159e37.jpeg

64190DD5-A238-471C-BDAE-39A0C8AD75B5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.9a875dc1b43bf61976345ef9251fe5eb.jpeg

39D79E46-46C5-4659-85E2-B9C8954973F1_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.571ac1b8e4281b4585c406b8aa864c06.jpeg

951A912A-BF48-4573-BA2A-8B85DA6453D6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6ea3f3393188b4807a405cdeee200ea7.jpeg

• Like 3

I think that scape is much better. I went too high at first with my most recent build. I realized that there was hardly room for coral to grow out. I removed some rock, but next time ill remember no rock higher than the half way point! 

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

No really on the updates. What I can tell you is that I am about ready to through the Bluefish controller in the trash as it has been such a headache to try to get connected to the internet. I have already completely redesigned my internal network and also created a special 2.4GHZ only network to get out to the internet and it still will not hookup, so frustrating as by today standards 5 GHZ is out and been for years.

On a side note I have water tested and everything is going fine except for the scape. It is too tall to work in this DT. Not much room for corals to be on the top so I had to redesign it. Here is it current look. What do you think?

4C32C5D8-5C4E-4D07-A3FA-E3B8D478D0F4_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e529ff1763288be3dda56c522f159e37.jpeg

64190DD5-A238-471C-BDAE-39A0C8AD75B5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.9a875dc1b43bf61976345ef9251fe5eb.jpeg

39D79E46-46C5-4659-85E2-B9C8954973F1_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.571ac1b8e4281b4585c406b8aa864c06.jpeg

951A912A-BF48-4573-BA2A-8B85DA6453D6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6ea3f3393188b4807a405cdeee200ea7.jpeg

I am partial to rule of threes myself

Especially with rock

Dolmans were always three based

Japanese rock gardens are usually based on threes.

And a 'triangular' shape is usually eye pleasing

• Like 1

Regarding the Bluefish

It didn't originate as Wifi

It was Bluetooth, hence the name

Ecotech Radions aren't even Wifi, and even Bluetooth is hard for them. I have one now that can't connect.  That's a multimillion dollar company with engineers on staff.

Bluefish was/is one guy with a Raspberry Pi

Honestly, if it turns the LEDs on and off, these days, that's about as much as you can hope for

The designer obviously stuck the wifi card onto late stage

• Like 1

Well after some multiple weeks of redesigning my home network and still not able to get the Bluefish controller on it I have decided to give up for now and move on to using my Apex.

I really wanted to keep this build simple in terms of hardware, but sometimes the best laid out plans do not work. So yesterday I have ordered a Apex EB4 power bar and VDM LED & Pump control module and they should be delivered before Thanksgiving. On the bright side I can hookup the Kessil and 2k Gyre pump together and make them work in tandem with different effects.

Also, I have ran new electrical wires for everything to hookup to and should have them connected to the electrical box sometime early in December when my nephew returns from being out of state and also I should be able to get the room painted before December and hopefully getting this thing wet before the end of the year. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Coolbreeze said:

Well after some multiple weeks of redesigning my home network and still not able to get the Bluefish controller on it I have decided to give up for now and move on to using my Apex.

I really wanted to keep this build simple in terms of hardware, but sometimes the best laid out plans do not work. So yesterday I have ordered a Apex EB4 power bar and VDM LED & Pump control module and they should be delivered before Thanksgiving. On the bright side I can hookup the Kessil and 2k Gyre pump together and make them work in tandem with different effects.

Also, I have ran new electrical wires for everything to hookup to and should have them connected to the electrical box sometime early in December when my nephew returns from being out of state and also I should be able to get the room painted before December and hopefully getting this thing wet before the end of the year. 

are you essentially setting/starting up two systems at the same time?  that's nuts.  I can't even keep my head straight on trying to get one new system going, lol, with deciding the corals to keep, to send away, the new scape, etc, etc.  not having the key to the house yet probably doesn't help, that should be rectified after thanksgiving.

• Like 1

Yes I am. WB 20 & 110 and not too hard, just taking a long time to do it. 

I would think it would be  a lot harder to buy a house, figure out how to move a DT, packing and moving your stuff and finally building your new DT. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Agree, my living room is starting to look like the Reefbuilders studio

It will, but nicer, when the big tank gets put up.  And that's only going up because I am never moving again. Hate moving,, almost as bad as an IRS audit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have updated the current hardware list and it should not change at this point in time. In the future I will be adding ATO and dosing pump, both of which has not been fully decided on. I do have some hardware that I can use in the short term, but I will not be using them for the long haul.

Now let’s talk livestock choices. After some time thinking and experimenting with some livestock it came down to the following criteria that I wanted in here.

•    Must be friendly to others and not go Rambo on me.
•    Must not chase others sway during feeding time – AKA, play well with others.
•    Must have bottom, middle and top swimmers.
•    Like the same type of foods – Easier to feed and cleaner on DT over time.
•    Reef Safe.
•    Color.
•    Personality.

So, with the above criteria I have selected the following.

Greenbanded Goby – He likes to be on the bottom and hide out. The color and bands look really cool and will stand out with the others. At feeding time, he is docile.

image.thumb.png.8b85dfd938fdbc0bdb1d240a925e80a3.png

Clown Goby (yellow) – He likes to be in the ½ to 2/3 upper part of the tank. Color is yellow and should stand out with others. At feeding time, he is docile. Also, he is not lazy as the other clown goby that I had. He just perched on rock like a lazy bum.

image.thumb.png.63956738cd080bff464f30938fca5c97.png

Helfrichi Firefish – He likes to be on the bottom to ½ up on the display. His colors are outstanding and when he stands still in the water, he displays a unique look. At feeding time, he is docile in nature and he also like to dart around the tank.

image.thumb.png.b32445f137612069e18c51e17f8a5347.png

Pajami Cardinalfish – He likes to be in the ½ to 2/3 upper part of the tank. Color is not outstanding but does bring another dimension to coloration and tank personality. He likes to stand still in the water as if he is floating, this is if tank mates are not aggressive. At feeding time, he very docile.

image.thumb.png.222c749d698731654576f3b922e1a9fe.png

Ruby Red Dragonet – He likes to swim on the bottom and pick at rocks all day. The male has outstanding color and unique fin displacement. He is a very docile eater and will fit in really nice with it colors and slow eating regiment.

image.thumb.png.3720ef83720afc71d681209d048de3db.png

I would be interested in what others are thinking about my choices that I have made. I am still working out the details on inverts and corals, still have plenty of time to decide.

I will be putting the Flaming Prawn Goby on my list for the WB 110 for sure. I did look at some of the others , but decided to pass on them. Like the twin spot goby I have read say that you need to hand feed these through a dropper, not for me as I do travel. Mini dart goby I may put on my list also for the WB 110 as a few of them could make some interesting activity.

• Like 1

I have completed the Apex programming for current lighting schedule. I will not post all the details here as I have already updated my lighting journal here.

Dream Lighting Systems

Keep in mind that I will be using my Apex on two systems so it is easier to update one journal for lighting and pointing everyone to it.

I have completed this far the basic Apex programming for lights and pumps. Since I have no water in it at this time I have pumps and lights turned off. When water is added then I will change them to auto.

I will be using Feed mode B for turning off pumps for five minutes while the livestock is having dinner.

I will be using Feed mode D for turning off pumps for 30 minutes while doing water changes. Using Feed mode instead of a virtual port allows me to just walk away after water changes and let the Apex restart the system, if using a virtual port I can forget to turn them back on. So Feed mode is kind of a fail safe for me.

Here is pictures of my current dash board and pump programming.

image.thumb.png.bb81bb927540ec00018eef68f2357bc4.png

image.thumb.png.ca16e8992427f1e5d64fb01094f95fad.png

image.thumb.png.7e9ee6c23559a95909f975f0053045d9.png

Notice the time is different on the skimmer by 2 minutes. This allows the back of the ATO water level to stabilize before turning it back on.

image.thumb.png.a20ea1628c39bb6cd6918490bb575a1a.png

I have not decided if I want the Icecap or Apex controller to control water flow for the Gyre yet.

For those of you that are think about adding an Apex to their system and have never set up up, here is a quick tip.

You must setup your heartbeat as by default is is disabled. So what does that mean. If you lost internet connection then the Fusion cloud will notify you by email that something is wrong. Now that can be a power outage or your internet router cannot connect.

So I have planned this out for some time and have purchase a higher end firewall/router to help with taking an issue away and narrowing it down to only a power outage. The unit that I purchased has an additional accessory that you can plug into your modem. Your internet modem power plug will plug into this unit and then into your power socket. Now your firewall/router will ping the internet every so often and if it can not connect it will restart your modem. A few weeks ago in the middle of the night I lost internet connection but not power do too high winds and the firewall/router rebooted the modem and I was back up in minutes and did not notice it happened except for the email alert.

Now if I lose power that will be fine as I am waiting for a Battery Backup 3.0 to be released from CoralVue and that will be attached to my Gyre and should keep water flowing in the display going for 36 hours, which is more time then I will need as I will be able to responded and fix the issue in that length of time. This is much cheaper for a 20G display than buying a whole house backup generator.

Also tomorrow I am getting both of my new electrical outlets hooked up. Now both new displays will be on their own breaker. 😀👏

image.thumb.png.f1891d68d2fc037f83d2e1d3aa813b27.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay we are now getting closer to getting this thing wet. I have taken some vacation time. So far today I have removed all the furniture out of my office and started to prep the walls for paint. I plan on having the room painted and the carpet cleaned before the end of my vacation and if all possible to start the cycle.

I have ordered a few corals and for now they will go into my IM30L to make sure that they have not bugs or any other thing wrong with them. Here is what I have coming in.

Icey Hots Zoanthids

Blood Suckers Zoanthids

Funny D Zaonthids

Green Star Polyps

Red & Green Australian Acan Lord 

Purple Green Acan Lords

Bumble Bee Snails - I have been waiting for these for six months.

I already have the following that have been in my IM 30L that will be going in here as well.

ORA Purple Stylophora

Cotton Candy Tourch

Ultra Orange Hammer

I still have my eye on a few more items that are out of stock, but worth waiting for.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have found a new addition to add to this display. Has been ordered and waiting for arrival. Again I will put it in my IM30L for some time and when I believe it is healthy I will move it over. I am off about one week on my schedule so I think it will be the first week of the new year when I start cycling.

So I now have two unique torches 👍

1). Cotton Candy

2). Gold Torch (Pictured below)

6EB3D00F-95CA-46BC-967E-E9A36F2BE5CD.thumb.png.96a9356be3c86ea91fc647d0d8535455.png

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

I have found a new addition to add to this display. Has been ordered and waiting for arrival. Again I will put it in my IM30L for some time and when I believe it is healthy I will move it over. I am off about one week on my schedule so I think it will be the first week of the new year when I start cycling.

So I now have two unique torches 👍

1). Cotton Candy

2). Gold Torch (Pictured below)

6EB3D00F-95CA-46BC-967E-E9A36F2BE5CD.thumb.png.96a9356be3c86ea91fc647d0d8535455.png

Looks nice. Torch is my current nemesis. 😅 can’t seem to make them happy. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I have been dealing with covid-19 since late December and have not had time to update my journal. But since having covid and still dealing with it after affects made me think that I will I be able to take care of a tank if I am sick?

So, no I am not getting ride of it. Just changing what the original plan is. I made a few changes to the rock by adding a few small pieces to it for coral to sit on and I think that all the coral I have in the IM 30 will fit nicely in here and I will only need a few more pieces to fill it out, but I have decided to keep this one a lower maintenance system by not putting any Fish in it. Instead I will be making this a invert tank. Also I changed that it will not be a full Zeovit system. I will use some items but not all of them as I found in my IM 30 things can go south pretty fast.

All the other things has been completed and as soon as I have the strength to paint my office it is ready to add water. Updated pic to come soon.

• Like 1