Coral Vue Hydros

Skimmerless nano

stevedola

I have a 7 gallon waterbox nano that is skimmer-less. Ive been successfully keeping zoas, anemone, some lps and a coris wrasse. Have any of you went from Skimmer-less to install a skimmer and noticed a difference? I do weekly water changes for waste removal and mineral replenish. 

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

Hi Steve. Yeah I'm not sold on skimmers for small tanks tbh - if you keep up with your water changes you're effectively achieving the same thing.

That said, I do run one on my seven gallon - 1) because I have a weird fascination with admiring the skim mate as it builds up 2) because it means I don't have to worry so much about over feeding. I'd rather overfeed and have happy livestock than underfeed because of nutrient concerns.

• Haha 1

There is absolutely no need for one honestly. 

But yes when I was keeping Acro's in my 2g back in the day,I was feeding my Acan's HEAVY and to combat high nutrients a skimmer and water changes definitely helped and saw a huge difference in algae once I took the skimmer offline. 

• Like 2
House Reef

I've not used one on my smaller tanks. Ran my Lagoon 25 on Triton for a year with only 2 or 3 water changes in that time and grew SPS well. Would be good for oxygenation but that's not really a big concern if you've got good surface tension imo.

• Like 1

I was thinking about getting a forest fire or superman digi to see how it would do in the tank. Its amazing what a weekly 20% water change and some basic maintenance can accomplish for color and growth. No need for all these crazy additives and systems when the basics works so well.

28 minutes ago, stevedola said:

I was thinking about getting a forest fire or superman digi to see how it would do in the tank. Its amazing what a weekly 20% water change and some basic maintenance can accomplish for color and growth. No need for all these crazy additives and systems when the basics works so well.

Ya, I stopped using any additives and vitamins.

The simple system is a lot easier.