ReefCleaners.org

New Tank Lighting

Doc_

So the bug has hit and I'm setting up another tank 

This will be a 3ft 70G tank measuring 36ft long, 2 ft Wide 22 inches deep. 

I plan for a mixed reef with the top 2/3 of the tank likely SPS dominant. 

I'm looking at lighting options at the moment and am considering the following options.

2x AI Primes in combination with the 3ft aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture 

2 x EcoTech XR15 GEN5 

1 x Eco Tech XR15 GEN 5 w/ the above mentioned 3ft Aquatic Life T5Hybrid. 

I'd love some input and opinions.

Money is obviously a consideration  but my view is I'd like to go down a path where I won't be looking to make change and push for better spread of more PAR in a year or two. 

I already own one Prime HD so the two Primes and the T5 is probably my Cheapest option. But am I really beating a dead horse throwing more into another Prime and adding the T5Hybrid? vs Swapping to one Ecotech and the T5 hybrid 

Or should I step away from the past of T5 and stomach the cost of 2x XR15 GEN 5s ? 

Thoughts, opinions , other ideas are all valued and appreciated 😊

I don't think T5s are considered the past.  Most folks will agree that the led/T5 combo is probably the best option out there.  For a budget option I would go with the aquatic life T5 hybrid and 2 AI Primes...then possibly add a third down the road.

I don't think one XR15 and the T5 hybrid is going to cut it...but two XR15s would.

I'm using 3 gen4 radion XR15s and T5 hybrid on a 4ft tank.  It's plenty of light.

Thank you for your reply ! 

I thought one XR15 GEN 5 plus the hybrid would be a stretch option but thought I'd ask. With them boasting coverage for 30 Inches x 30 Inches I thought with the Hybrid T5 Bolstering the PAR across the full 36 inches that I could likely be OK with the one of them and it would give me a graduated zone for the most demanding SPS in the center and and on the outer edges being for lower demanding corals. Plus realistically I doubt I'll populate at least two inches on either side of the tank anyway.  

When you say 2 x XR15's would cut it , would they cut it and do a great job alone ? or would you say I had to still put in the T5 Hybrid ?

I happen to have come across a local reefer selling a second hand XR15 GEN 4 for a nice price (around 200USD) including the RMS Kit though then I'm in the boat of needing to find another second hand unit. 

I want to ensure the SPS I plan to keep are happy though I also love certain LPS as well and want to make sure that I'm not blasting the tank with so much light that LPS are hard to acclimate. 

I've always been told that it can be better with mixed reef tanks to give SPS what they are happy to grow in but to lean at the lower end of the Par Scale of 250 in the areas you want them to grow  than the higher end of 350+ simply because to a degree corals kinda learn to live in lower par happier than they do being over lit 

Any additional thoughts or comments from anyone are greatly appreciated 🙂

You could get by with the XR15 gen5 and the T5s...you'd just have to keep the SPS more towards the center.  This may give you what you are looking for though and you could keep the LPS towards the edges of the tank.  The radion is a great light, just don't  know if I believe the 30" spread.  The good news is that down the road you could always add another unit if required.

2 XR15s alone would work...the issue becomes when you have larger colonies of SPS and shading occurs.  The T5s help combat this, plus SPS just love T5s.  I would go with the T5s and one XR15 before going with just two XR15s.  I'm a huge fan of the T5/LED combo.

The gen4 is a great light as well.  I recently put the diffusers on mine.  Made a huge difference in terms of blending, eliminating hot spots and reducing light spill in the room.  I'm sure you could find another used one on ebay locally.  Two gen4s with diffusers and T5s would be really good.

I keep some LPS in my tank as well...frogspawn, hammer, duncan, blastos, favia, acans.  All are doing well.  I just keep them on the outer edges.  From what I can tell they like the T5s as well.  

Agree that lower par is usually better than too much (ie bleaching).  I think most corals can adapt to higher lighting.  It just takes time.

I think you'll be really happy with the LED/T5 combo.  Gen4 or Gen5.  I'd put the diffuser on the gen4 though.