Top Shelf Aquatics

There is a mist kind of thing in the water

Charith1986

You need to keep your live rock. It's where your beneficial bacteria, the ones you're trying to grow with the cycle, live. It's not the problem, your problem is your well water, possibly the sugar, and probably an incomplete cycle.

Just start your cycle again.  Keep the rock and sand.  Use tap water for now, but try to find distilled for the future.  

You'll need the test kits to track progress of your cycle.

100ppm in ground water? I don’t know what the usual range is but that seems kinda high. I would double and triple check your testing, just to be sure. 

Charith1986

Test results are accurate as when i check the levels twice on tap water and very minimal range of nitrate. But well water its 100ppm.

Will start the cycle again, shall i remove my existing filter floss and ceramic rings ? i meant by coral sand mean small coral particulars which i put in the sump to grow bacteria.

I dont think there is a risk in keeping them, but i am not sure.

How much live rock do you have?  You may not need the ceramic rings.  Filter floss is something that should be reaced regularly anyway, so you can remove or replace it.

Not sure what you mean by coral sand in the sump?  Can you get a pic?

Charith1986

I have about 3 KG of live rock and most of them are green and purple to some extend. Yes I can remove the ceramic rings. At the moment i have removed filter floss as well cs they are two weeks old now.

I dont have a big mixing container to do a full water change at once. So what i did was 20L two water changes in two days. The result in the morning turned a bit better.

And it looks like in the 50 range. I have attached a photo of my test results and the photo of coral sand which i mentioned. Should check for ammonia and nitrite today.

20200523_062914.jpg

20200523_063601.jpg

Ok, I see now.  The water change is to get your no3 down.  You don't have to do it all at once....maybe do three of them.  As far as the pieces of coral rubble in the back chamber go, is there anyway you can put them in a filter bag?

I'm worried that you are going to get a lot of detritus build up back there.  If you put in a filter bag, you can pull the bag out to clean the back compartment every once and a while.

Were you able to test your ammonia or nitrite?

Charith1986

Yeah you are right, i will try to put them in a one bag. But there is quite a lot of small pieces there.

Ammonia and nitrite checking today ? according to the nitrate test photo i uploaded its not in the range of 100ppm right ?

Charith1986

This all implies how important your tank should organize. In my tank the filter is on the back which is a bit difficult to clean such thing when compared to a sump filter. There is lot to think in this hobby before starting.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Charith1986 said:

Yeah you are right, i will try to put them in a one bag. But there is quite a lot of small pieces there.

Ammonia and nitrite checking today ? according to the nitrate test photo i uploaded its not in the range of 100ppm right ?

Yes nitrate looks less than 100.

You should really get a test kit so you can determine ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates at a moment's notice, rather than relying on someone else to test them. They're arguably the most important parameters (aside from salinity) to be able to rapidly check, since ammonia and nitrites in particular will harm and eventually kill your livestock.

• Like 1
Charith1986

Yes, i visited a LFS and did a Nitrate test again, their result was 5ppm and he will give me the ammonia result soon. 

Just now I checked nitrate again from my salifert kit and i can confirm it is in the 50ppm square. So That 50 range means from 26 ppm to 50 ppm ?

so i would fall somewhere in between.

Cycled tanks don't normally have any ammonia, unless something has died, etc.

.5 could also be a testing error or a kit that doesn't read well.  

Now we need to find out what your nitrites are.

Hopefully you can buy an ammonia and nitrite test kit as you will need to be measuring those regularly during the cycle.

If they're tiny white dots that are moving around in small hops and jerks, they're probably copepods. You want those! They act as live food for your fish, provide some minor cleanup benefits, and are an important part of your biodiversity.

They probably swam away, and anyway there should be more in the rockwork. 

As a general rule, don't remove things if you aren't sure they're harmful. You'll see plenty of weird little things that are harmless and potentially helpful, they come in on the live rock.