Pod Your Reef

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

pippol1

I have a 32 gal bio cube tank over 4 months old . Only 2 clown fish so far( eventually corals) lasted 4 months so far. I had 4 fish die. the two clown fish hide at the bottom of tank in cave . I use RODI water ,the parameters are good , except the phosphates are a little high0.16-0.23 and the alkalinity is 7.0 I thought one of the clown was dead ,but when I agitate the water it comes out they don't look sickly.  does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

IMG_0638.jpg

From what you've explained so far, there is no way to tell. Before dying, did you get a really close look at your fish as they were going downhill, or better yet any pictures of them as they were dying? Or, did they die all of the sudden - like perfectly healthy one minute and dead the next day?

It might not be a bad idea for you to take a sample of your water to the LFS to at least confirm all of your test results. The more information you can provide about how the fish went downhill and died the better. Also, try getting a picture of your sick clownfish under white lights only - your phone will take a much better picture.

I did have the water tested everything was good. except calcium was high 499 ,Potassium K was high at 490 and silica was high at 1.1 the Ammonia was 0.04,Nitrates was 3.3 and nitrites were 0.023 . The water testing co. said those last three new good.

mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, pippol1 said:

I did have the water tested everything was good. except calcium was high 499 ,Potassium K was high at 490 and silica was high at 1.1 the Ammonia was 0.04,Nitrates was 3.3 and nitrites were 0.023 . The water testing co. said those last three new good.

you shouldn't have ammonia or nitrite if your tank is cycled.  what's your salinity?  please stop saying everything is good, no one understand what your tolerance for "good" means.  to me, having both ammonia and nitrites are NOT GOOD, no matter how small of quantity.   

It looks like he may be using something more sensitive then hobby test kits and why he is getting a reading of 0.04 ammonia. It would probably be 0 on API though. Just a guess.

Do the fish show any signs of disease? Any unusual spots? If you added a fish that had a disease, it will stay in the tank for many weeks after the fish dies... so when you add a new one, they can catch it.

What types of fish did you buy that died?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have two had two clown fish that have lasted for five months, the fish I bought from live aquaria  a Royal Gramma and a Watchman Gobi lasted 14 days after a while I got two of the same fish that died , one died the same day I put it in the tank the other fish died the next day none of the fish looked diseased. I waited a while and got two bangui cardinal fish they died the next day. I use RODI water and do weekly water changes. parameters were ammonia 0 ,nitrite 0 and nitrates around 2

4 hours ago, pippol1 said:

I have two had two clown fish that have lasted for five months, the fish I bought from live aquaria  a Royal Gramma and a Watchman Gobi lasted 14 days after a while I got two of the same fish that died , one died the same day I put it in the tank the other fish died the next day none of the fish looked diseased. I waited a while and got two bangui cardinal fish they died the next day. I use RODI water and do weekly water changes. parameters were ammonia 0 ,nitrite 0 and nitrates around 2

How are you acclimating the fish? Are they all from the same source? 

• Like 1