inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Evo V

Joshua27

So just to start off. I had a 14 gallon bio cube a few years back which I loved. The tanked cracked and everything was lost so I kind of fell out of the hobby for a few years. I’ve been thinking for a while now about starting up a new one and I decided on the Fluval Evo V saltwater tank. I Set the tank up today with all the stock equipment. I used live sand and bought one piece of live rock but added more dry rock. I’m waiting for the tank to clear up so I can see what I need to move around. I may end up taking some of the rock and sand out depending on what it looks like. If anyone else has experience with the fluval evo V I’d love to hear what you’d have to say about the stock equipment. I’m not looking to put much in this tank maybe only a goby or smaller clown. As for cleaners I want a shrimp and a couple hermit crabs. I’m going to go mostly with zoas and maybe one or two lps corals. when the tank is clear I’ll post a pic. 

The light is garbage, and I do not think any corals will maintain color with the stock lighting. I have an evo V in the other room, and I ended up buying a 16" finnex LED that sat in top of the lid. It seems to keep the standard green mushrooms and hairy mushrooms happy.  It has two channels, a white and blue channel, on separate switches on the ends.  

The small pump died and I replaced it whit whatever I had lying around, other than that, pretty neat little tank. 

1 hour ago, Garf said:

The light is garbage, and I do not think any corals will maintain color with the stock lighting. I have an evo V in the other room, and I ended up buying a 16" finnex LED that sat in top of the lid. It seems to keep the standard green mushrooms and hairy mushrooms happy.  It has two channels, a white and blue channel, on separate switches on the ends.  

The small pump died and I replaced it whit whatever I had lying around, other than that, pretty neat little tank. 

Thanks for your answer so fast! I was looking The current US orbit marine aquarium light and I think I might switch to that. What are your thoughts on that light?

Don’t kill me! Today I received a hi fin red banded goby, a Zoa frag(unknown) and 2 snails. I did not intend on getting them. A friend of mine was getting rid of them and was going to flush them. I couldn’t let that happen. So I decided to try and give them a fighting chance 

A5E772EB-F0D0-48A1-8373-B75E1F14647E.jpeg

C908A2E4-DC15-4B0B-8005-54EB753E4409.jpeg

38C20922-1D58-4EE3-B1A2-6975DEA86D39.jpeg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Joshua27 said:

Don’t kill me! Today I received a hi fin red banded goby, a Zoa frag(unknown) and 2 snails. I did not intend on getting them. A friend of mine was getting rid of them and was going to flush them. I couldn’t let that happen. So I decided to try and give them a fighting chance 

A5E772EB-F0D0-48A1-8373-B75E1F14647E.jpeg

C908A2E4-DC15-4B0B-8005-54EB753E4409.jpeg

38C20922-1D58-4EE3-B1A2-6975DEA86D39.jpeg

Nice rescue

debbeach13

Hi Josh welcome back. I have the evo 5 also. I did upgrade the stock pump to a MJ 606 for increased flow. I am still using the stock light. There are several Evo 5 tanks on this forum. Most have upgraded the light. Do you have any test kits yet? Good call on saving the livestock from being flushed. Now you should do a soft cycle which is just doing water changes as needed so the levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate stay low. Do you already understand the nitrogen cycle? Ammonia can burn the gills of fish. If you have test kits can you post what the results are? If you don't have test kits yet I recommend getting some. You can check out some members tanks for what has worked for others and get some ideas. Many members will be happy to answer your questions so don't be shy. Good luck with your tank.

3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Hi Josh welcome back. I have the evo 5 also. I did upgrade the stock pump to a MJ 606 for increased flow. I am still using the stock light. There are several Evo 5 tanks on this forum. Most have upgraded the light. Do you have any test kits yet? Good call on saving the livestock from being flushed. Now you should do a soft cycle which is just doing water changes as needed so the levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate stay low. Do you already understand the nitrogen cycle? Ammonia can burn the gills of fish. If you have test kits can you post what the results are? If you don't have test kits yet I recommend getting some. You can check out some members tanks for what has worked for others and get some ideas. Many members will be happy to answer your questions so don't be shy. Good luck with your tank.

Thanks for answering debbeach13 I plan on upgrading the pump and I ordered a US marine orbit light for the tank. I have the API saltwater and reef test kits and did a test last night. 
ammonia 0

nitrites 0

nitrates 5.0 

Ph 8.0

KH 179

Calcium 400

phosphate 0 

the Ph seems to be a little low and I’m keeping an eye on the nitrates. It’s almost time for a water change which I am super excited for. I woke up this morning and my goby has made a little tunnel system under my live rock and sand. What do you think about a shrimp goby pair in the future? 

debbeach13

I think that light should be fine on this tank with out breaking the bank but as always it depends on what coral you want. Was last night the first time you tested the tank? If not did you ever see any ammonia or nitrite? Do not worry about the PH 8.0 is fine.  If I was going to get a shrimp to hopefully pair up (You never know if they will) I would get a candy cane because they stay smaller than many of the other pistol shrimp.

I tested with test strips the day before but I did not feel they were giving me an accurate reading it did show slight nitrites. I’m going to test again today and see how things are doing. All of my zoa polyps are open and happy. The only problem I think I’m having right now is the flow in the tank. I’m going to have to upgrade the pump and maybe seal off the bottom slit in the tank so the water can not bypass the filter media. I’m going to wait a little bit on the shrimp just to make sure everything is running well and stable. 

debbeach13

I covered the slot between the tank and the chambers. Yes waiting would be good your tank is so new. I glad your not relying on those test strips I think they are junk. If I ask a store to check my water and they pull those out I leave. No sense supporting a place that is clueless and lazy.

Exactly! I stick with the API test kits and have had wonderful results in the past. I’m really excited my light is coming tomorrow with the wave maker as well. So hopefully that’ll get some movement going in the tank until I switch the pump over. When I do get a shrimp to go with my goby which do you recommend? 

Also my goby completely made himself at home in the rock work and I’ve only seen him once today. Hopefully he gets more comfortable with the tank in the next few days 

Time for today’s update!!

everything in the tank is loving it. I got my new light and I got a wave maker. The wave maker is moving the water very fast. It doesn’t seem to bother anything so I am going to keep it as is. I added some new corals today and I am in love and addicted to this tank. 
map far in the tank I have 

2 snails not sure which kind

hi fin red banded goby

ziggy zoanthid

rasta zoanthid 

and a captain jerk Poly I’ll add pictures

i also added the new light which is a current US marine led 18 inch. The corals seem to love this light. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey everyone! 
I apologize for such a long pause in my posting. The tank was running well for a couple months and during the winter I kept forgetting to do water changes. When I finally decided it was time to clean the tank up I had a ton of Cyanobacteria. The goby and shrimp have both passed. The tank is now clean and rehabilitated I stuck with my zoa garden and theme and have some frags growing in there now along with an ocellaris clownfish  a cleaner shrimp 6 small blue leg hermit crabs and 4 snails I’ll update with pics in a bit!