Coral Vue Hydros

What is your Dream Aquarium?

Nathans_Reef

Nathans_Reef

Hi all, just wanted to start a discussion about our dream aquariums, comment your dream aquarium system and livestock for the tank.👍

Mine is a 1000 gallon mixed reef (mostly SPS) full of fish, Lots of my favourite tangs and angels with clownfish and a big group of anthias and green chromis.

I will make this tank look as close to a natural reef as possible.

What is you Dream Reef Tank?

Thrassian Atoll

Mine would be a 10 foot long by 3 feet deep by 2 feet high.  450 gallon approximately.  Maybe built into a wall?  Sump in the basement? 

• Like 1

Honestly? Nothing massive. Unless someone else is maintaining it, and maybe not even then. 

Two big (but not massive) aquariums plumbed together, with a fuge. One side macroalgae-dominated, stocked with tiny creatures (trimma gobies, bluestripe pipefish, etc), and maybe one larger but very peaceful fish for punctuation. Maybe a mandarin if there's enough food. The other side, call it an aggressive reef? LPS and maybe some softies, with hopefully a bubble tip nem and a pair of one of the larger clowns. And something that will survive the clowns. Then a 'fuge with a frogfish and one of those big, rockwork-upturning, fish-safe stone crab type of crabs. 

As to what I'd actually like to do and maintain... a 30-50gal macroalgae "reef" of tiny fish, attached to a 20gal or so fuge with a frogfish. Either integrate RFAs into the frogfish tank, or a shallow display (20-30gal range) of RFAs. I don't WANT a massive aquarium, too hard to do water changes. Though I wonder about a very big, lightly stocked macro-dominated tank.

Or, hell, lottery winner dreams? Not a home aquarium. A PUBLIC aquarium, with a big focus on education, conservation, and breeding. And me to give guided tours.

• Like 3

Whatever I can afford to first setup and then maintain while not being so overwhelmed by maintenance that I lose my love for the hobby and tear it down 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d do a Hawaiian biotope. Black lava rock for the scape, a group of (captive bred) yellow tangs, a pair of sail fin tangs, Hawaiian dascyllus, a potters angelfish, arc-eye hawkfish. For corals mostly pocillapora and montipora, and pencil urchins for the clean-up crew 

• Like 2
danimal1211

If this is a dream system to me it's kind of in unobtanium realm. I would like to build a house around the system and try to replicate the natural reef zones as well as possible.  

The fore reef and inner reef zones would be the display tanks that are supported by  a lagoonal system in a dedicated room. Then the estuary system would peninsulize  the house in kind of a green room setting. Mangrove trees, macro algae and filter feeders such as oysters, clams etc. Would populate the lagoon and estuary systems. 

Large gravity-fed surge tanks would serve as water movement over the fore reef and overflow into the inner reef. The lagoons would be subject to tides, and the ATO would replace evaporation in the greenhouse (how that would even be possible I can't imagine). 

Hey we can all dream right? Hell I couldn't even afford the miracle mud.

• Thanks 1