Cultivated Reef

Removing cyano from corals

darksun92

Hi forum! 
I need some help with my corals, 2 months ago I had a crash with my tank, lost some corals but most of the survived, but a few of

them are trying to recover but the cyano on them, doesn’t let them recover, how can I solve this? I don’t have cyano on the sand or the rocks only on some corals and corals plugs, thanks! 

700EAA7A-2067-4092-8C59-19FC574AFE7A.jpeg

C3812732-3CB4-4A38-91B1-076C2A912694.jpeg

9EEEE785-B419-4A36-946A-1A2CE9F1C192.jpeg

37 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Did you try Chemiclean? 

Not yet, it doesn’t matter that I only have cyano on some corals or plugs? There’s no cyano on the sand or rock 

banasophia

Well when I only have a tiny bit and it’s not really bothering my corals too much I just blow it off with a turkey baster and consider changing my flow. 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Chemiclean shouldn't affect corals, so says the packaging. I believe based on the circulating opinion on Reef2Reef that the product is erythromycin sulfate, an antibiotic. I have run Chemiclean on my tank before, but I decided to do it for 6 days straight (pretending like if a doctor gave me an antibiotic regimen for something like...idk strep throat). I certainly kicked cyanobacteria to the curb, but I wonder if my soft corals kinda hated it. I didn't have any losses, but I just didn't see much polyp extension from them.

But if it's a minor issue the turkey baster should be fine. Cyano doesn't really hurt much, but it does cover real estate decently fast, and may hurt the look of your tank.

• Like 1
banasophia

Yeah I am actually doing chemiclean treatment on my tank now because the cyano was getting beyond the amount I just let go, added it Saturday night and the corals are so much happier now. I got some pretty shots of my tank last night right after posting in here because my sinularia seems extra happy since I added the treatment. 

Very important - you have to make sure to add an air stone to the tank when you use it.

C8E8A993-FD7F-47FE-A8FC-515ADC10A246.thumb.jpeg.2bc4ce487f023f5232ce7f2fbc6139ee.jpeg

• Like 1

Use a Turkey baster to suck out the cyano.

Increase flow, cyano loves low flow and often seen growing where flow is lacking.

check nutrients. 

Cyano can be caused from imbalances in nutrients, it's not always from too much nutrients. 

I tried to remove with a turkey baster but it doesn’t work, the cyano is incrusted in some bleached parts of the corals do they cant continue growing, the frag rack is literally in front of the wave maker so they are receiving direct flow, I think I’ll try with chemi appears is the only option 

17 minutes ago, darksun92 said:

I tried to remove with a turkey baster but it doesn’t work, the cyano is incrusted in some bleached parts of the corals do they cant continue growing, the frag rack is literally in front of the wave maker so they are receiving direct flow, I think I’ll try with chemi appears is the only option 

Are you sure its cyano?

Never heard of cyano encrusting, a common method is sucking cyano out with Turkey baster.

Chemi clean and even chemi pure don't always work, especially if it's not cyano.

banasophia
41 minutes ago, darksun92 said:

Here are some better photos. 

0D26933A-07BF-49BC-AA6D-091EB4FA575B.jpeg

55058224-8EF4-418E-A3EC-67B068AF85CE.jpeg

03CD4ECE-B88E-43E1-96FD-5FCD10B9E3F2.jpeg

Hmm kinda hard to tell from those pics but not sure that’s cyano... can you get a pic under white lights so we can see the colors better? May be something else going on... 

23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't see any cyano.

All the red thing beyond the tips is red/brown cover that was a bleached part before. 

880CEDFD-C033-49CF-9AE7-DAB6D47EBCED.jpeg

19 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Hmm kinda hard to tell from those pics but not sure that’s cyano... can you get a pic under white lights so we can see the colors better? May be something else going on... 

I’ll post other photos later. 

• Like 1

With white light, as you can see there’s some tissue that is already growing again, but the algae doesn’t let them grow, what can I do? 

BC3FAF6E-23AE-45F1-AD56-CE03C35677D5.jpeg

AC1A5AAF-F926-48B0-BC06-01B5EAC0CDAE.jpeg

2167C1C1-B5E4-44C9-9031-64FE4EE81A33.jpeg