Pod Your Reef

Window screen vs glass lids

Reefsamurai

Reefsamurai

I set up a 90 in addition to our 5gal since that tank is too small for fish IMO. I will be doing a coral SPS dominated tank however I don't trust jumpers so what do you think would be a better option, building window screen lids or glass lids. Lighting is 2 ai Hydra 32. I'm just getting back in the hobby from an 11 year hiatus and I'm concerned about light blockage from glass lids. I have a canopy I'm finishing painting so the lighting won't be far off the surface though.

Thrassian Atoll

Screen for sure.  Use the plastic 1/4 clear netting BRS sells and get a screen kit from Lowe’s or buy the Red Sea kit.  Glass doesn’t let the tank gas exchange very well and if you have jumpers like wrasse there’s a possibility of them breaking their back on the glass.

Theres also a ton of companies out there that make nice lids like clearview and top lids.  Pricey, but nice.

• Like 2

I have run tanks with sps and glass lids and did not notice a difference, they grew into big colonies,  The only thing I would say is that glass will reduce some par and you will need to clean them regularly to achieve optimal levels, or you can get a stronger light, but hydra32 is plenty powerful to get through the glass.  If you are mounting the lights close to the water in your canopy, glass lids are prob your best bet in protecting them from salt spray and will give you better light spread/distribution. If you are running a sump and or hob protein skimmer you should not have any problems with gas exchange.  If no sump or proten skimmer you might want to go the screen route.  I have not had any fish jump and break glass, if you get the smallest wafer thin peice of glass from your local glass shop a big fish might be able to do it but most of the manufactured glass lids from perfecto etc that fit a standard 90 are a little thicker and can handle wrasses that fit in a 90, if you had a larger tank with some monster fish triggers tangs etc you might want to increase the thickness.

Reefsamurai

90gal corner overflow, both lines converted to drains with a stand alone return line on the opposite side, nero5 powerhead and eshopps r200 sump. Current fish is a forktail fang blenny. I care more for corals than fish however the ones I get, I don't want to end up as sushi.

Thrassian Atoll

It’s not the glass breaking, it’s the fish hurting themselves that I would be worried about.  My wrasses are always jumping around.  Here’s my lid from Clearview.

2306358B-F1AD-4AFA-9F30-0EDD4FE78139.thumb.jpeg.49e737c636cdd19007f361bc9e7f129d.jpeg

• Like 1

Thrassian Atoll - sorry misread you post haha I think fish are pretty strong and can handle some bouncing off glass, I've had a few carpet surfers land on concrete floors and were fine once placed back in the tank, I guess that fall would be comparable to jumping at hitting a glass top?  Those lids are nice, but sometimes the same cost as a used tank.  I would go with something like the clearview on a rimless tank, but if its under a canopy the glass lids will work

Thrassian Atoll
7 minutes ago, Timaaa said:

Thrassian Atoll - sorry misread you post haha I think fish are pretty strong and can handle some bouncing off glass, I've had a few carpet surfers land on concrete floors and were fine once placed back in the tank, I guess that fall would be comparable to jumping at hitting a glass top?  Those lids are nice, but sometimes the same cost as a used tank.  I would go with something like the clearview on a rimless tank, but if its under a canopy the glass lids will work

Is there a reason to have a lid at all with a canopy?  Can fish jump out of tank with a canopy?

it depends on the canopy, some have open backs, and you would have to cover the overflow if no glass lids/or screen.  the glass will also help protect the lights from salt spray/creep since they are mounted so close to the water. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
3 minutes ago, Timaaa said:

it depends on the canopy, some have open backs, and you would have to cover the overflow if no glass lids/or screen.  the glass will also help protect the lights from salt spray/creep since they are mounted so close to the water. 

That makes sense.  I haven’t seen many canopies in person.