Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hanna alk test kit

dling

I noticed that using the 1ml syringe w/o the extension that drawing the reagent into the syringe that you have to pull the rubber end above the 1ml mark to get 1ml of fluid . Doesn't seem right. And when I use the extension it will not add all the of the reagent. Some always stays in the tip.

Has anyone else noticed this?

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

With the extension it only fills the extension, which is 1ml. 

Understood.

How do you know when you are at the 1ml amount using the extension ?  As I noticed if you stop at the 1ml mark with the bottom rubber thing not using the extension you dont have 1ml of reagent. You have .9ml

41 minutes ago, dling said:

Understood.

How do you know when you are at the 1ml amount using the extension ?  As I noticed if you stop at the 1ml mark with the bottom rubber thing not using the extension you dont have 1ml of reagent. You have .9ml

when the extension is full.

I'd check out videos to get a better idea.

I stick the tip into the reagent, pull up until the extension is full. 

So I found that if I run the 1ml syringe in and out while in the reagent I can get the air out and it fills the syringe all the way up. No air between the rubber and reagent.  I chose to try w/o extension because when I pressed the syringe all the way in it left some of the fluid in the tip. Maybe .1 MLS or more. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 9:22 AM, dling said:

I noticed that using the 1ml syringe w/o the extension that drawing the reagent into the syringe that you have to pull the rubber end above the 1ml mark to get 1ml of fluid . Doesn't seem right. And when I use the extension it will not add all the of the reagent. Some always stays in the tip.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Watch the how-to vids to clear this up....you're dong it wrong.  (Or maybe you have a defective part...that is rare, but happens.)

The rubber stopper in the syringe in its starting position indicates zero, regardless of air.  (The air gap is from using the extension tip and is accounted for in the process...you don't do anything with (or against) the air.)

All you do is take the rubber stopper/indicator from 0 up to your desired level of reagent while the tip is fully submerged in the reagent.  

The only crucial thing is that you don't allow MORE AIR into the syringe while you're drawing up reagent.  THAT will foul up the process just as much as getting rid of or moving the air.  (My original syringe that came with my alk kit was squashed in the box so it wouldn't fit onto the syringe properly at first....air bubbles were getting in.  Think they've changed the packing so that's not an issue anymore though....I got mine right after they were released so it was version 1.0...still some non-performance related bugs.

Here's their alk video....watch from about 1 minute 30 seconds on and notice they do nothing special except sucking up the reagent and then putting it into the vial....no f'ing around with the air in the syringe.  👍

• Like 1