Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Anemone damaged in small pump

rfsantana

Hi guys. I need some help on what to do now.

On the first night after I bought it, my BTA managed to find the only pump in the tank, a very small 45gph power head that I use on a low circulation area of the display.

When I woke up I found it stucked on it and turned off. After some minutes, I could remove the pump without effort.

But the BTA was very injured and I dont know if it will survive, neither if I should let heal alone or try to dip with Seachem Dip to help cicatrization. Its pretty bad in my opinion.

PS:

I have Purigen in the sump

All corals are open and fine

IMG_20200517_093057~2.jpg

You can't dip the anemone. Most dips aren't safe for inverts.

The best thing you can do is leave it alone to allow it to heal and build a cover for your pump

• Like 1

That's terrible.  I've had the same thing happen. 

It looks like it should be able to survive  in time.

Good luck and fingers X.

Thanks guys. I'll keep observing it. Today it is on the top of the water near the overflow.

I really thought the tiny pump would never hurt it. I cant even imagine for how many hours it was stuck there.

IMG_20200518_182719~2.jpg

Today its closed.

What do you guys think? Is it splitting?

I have Seachem Reef Dip which is safe for anemones and have iodine. Should I dip it or let it rest?

IMG_20200519_090618~2.jpg

Day 3 after the accident

I dont know nothing about anemones, but looks like its better. I just think there is less tentacles than before. And also, there is something green on the skin around the tentacles.

IMG_20200520_102351~2.jpg

Day 4

I carefully removed the anemone from the glass because everytime it starts to open, the peppermint shrimp would bully it.

I placed in a recipient to protect it inside the tank.

Here are some pictures to update. The mouth is torn. I dont know if it can recover from that.

What do you guys think?

IMG_20200521_095835~2.jpg

IMG_20200521_095845~2.jpg

Day 5

I think things got better after the dip and also protecting the anemone of the shrimp.

I removed that black part the felt off it.

IMG_20200522_094825~2.jpg

IMG_20200522_094835~2.jpg

Day 6

I realized that without circulation, some parts were rotting and standing in the anemone. So I changed the recipient position so it can get some circulation.

I think its making some progress. Hope can make an update 2 weeks from now fully recovered.

A video for what its now: 

• 5 months later...

After some months the anemone started recovering its color e slow growing as i started feeding.

Today I noticed one tentacle is splitting into many tips, like a Frogspawn coral.

Have you guys seen this before?

IMG_20201031_154513~3.jpg

• Wow 1