teamschreiba

Schreiba's ADA 60P

East1
On 6/30/2020 at 12:33 AM, teamschreiba said:

Thanks it’s good to be back! I’m still trying to decide what corals to go with and it’s been killing me. I was thinking some favia but I worry the sweepers will reach too much of the tank. Just zoas for now...

And yeah I’ll be watching yours closely too! I’d like to be able to do some SPS in mine but I’ve found very few examples of sumpless and skimerless tanks with anything more than birdsnest/pocillipora.  

I had a similar thought process in mine, had to skip out on a lot of cool LPS to make it work in this tiny volume sadly. 

I've found pocillopora quite hard to grow in a small tank, even compared to some acropora, I've had issues even with my tiny high-tech system previously, so I'm definitely eager to try this method out with one! 

I was tempted to DIY a tiny skimmer for this tank though, just for the oxygen benefits, I think the pH would definitely benefit beacause of the sheer coral mass, I'm still debating it honestly. 

teamschreiba

I know it's basically a box of rocks but wanted to try and show the overall equipment theme I'm going with.  Since I'm sumpless and can't hide the wires, I went for more of an industrial look to make it look like the wires were intended to be in that location.  The iron pipes have a coat of polyurethane so I'm hoping that prevents any corrosion.  I ran as many of the lines through the actual pipes as I could and the rest are zip tied to back of the pipe.  Please excuse the terrible frag rack, I have an @Oceanbox Designs locking frag rack coming since my dottyback has already knocked one out.  I also need to improve on my LED lighting photography...

I'm going to picking up some more corals tomorrow so it'll start looking a bit more filled up! 😄

50066866287_0e76bf2951_o.jpg

50066606756_88869aab6a_o.jpg

50066049858_88087e98f6_o.jpg

Let me know what you think!

• Like 2

East1

I just replied as you posted it, but this light bracket looks awesome! 

I also love the balance and movement potential of the scape, it reminds me of a more open scaled version of one of my favourite TOTM aquacapes - dapellegrini's

teamschreiba
2 hours ago, East1 said:

I just replied as you posted it, but this light bracket looks awesome! 

I also love the balance and movement potential of the scape, it reminds me of a more open scaled version of one of my favourite TOTM aquacapes - dapellegrini's

That’s weird about the pocillopora! I’ll have to see how some SPS take to this tank. I feel the same way about the skimmer. I guess we can both see how it goes. I’ve seen successful AIOs that grow SPS and don’t have a skimmer. 

And I appreciate that! I tried to keep it more

open although once I start adding and growing coral I’m sure it’ll fill out. 

mitten_reef
3 hours ago, teamschreiba said:

I know it's basically a box of rocks but wanted to try and show the overall equipment theme I'm going with.  Since I'm sumpless and can't hide the wires, I went for more of an industrial look to make it look like the wires were intended to be in that location.  The iron pipes have a coat of polyurethane so I'm hoping that prevents any corrosion.  I ran as many of the lines through the actual pipes as I could and the rest are zip tied to back of the pipe.  Please excuse the terrible frag rack, I have an @Oceanbox Designs locking frag rack coming since my dottyback has already knocked one out.  I also need to improve on my LED lighting photography...

I'm going to picking up some more corals tomorrow so it'll start looking a bit more filled up! 😄

Not sure how I feel about the flange (where cords come out) facing the tank. But l really love the overall look and also the tank scape. 

Oceanbox Designs
8 hours ago, teamschreiba said:

Have to say the scape looks beautiful!

• Like 1

teamschreiba
On 7/2/2020 at 2:25 AM, Oceanbox Designs said:

Have to say the scape looks beautiful!

Thanks!  The new frag rack showed up just in time too when I had brought home some new corals.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, mitten_reef said:

Not sure how I feel about the flange (where cords come out) facing the tank. But l really love the overall look and also the tank scape. 

Understand it isn't for everyone!  It fits the look of our house though and I think makes the wires look a bit more purposeful.

Some new pictures!  Had to dust off the macro lens, it's been awhile...  I love these blue rhinos, they even have a pink skirt which is hard to capture in pictures.  You can really see how the coralline is taking off too.  Getting some green coralline as well.

50098647532_37fdf35787_o.jpg

50098420196_f58925e995_o.jpg

• Like 3

teamschreiba

BRS doser is in the mail! Figured there was no need to go with a Versa since I ended up getting a GHL powerbar anyway. I seem to be at about 1.5mL of all for reef per day which I know isn’t much but the doser just makes it so much easier and consistent as far as timing.   Hooking up the heater to the GHL seems to have drastically reduced the temperature swings I was seeing too. 

Also, something is sucking up phosphates. They dropped from 0.05 to 0.01 within a couple days with no water changes and no media added. Looks like it could be the rocks or coral or a combo of both. I have no nuisance algae as I think the large hermit and snails keep it all at bay. Really only seeing coralline at this point. I started adding reef roids into frozen food I feed the dottyback and have halted WCs to bring the phosphates back up.  

teamschreiba

New FTS!  I have a problem with the coral purchases as you can tell...

50149092006_6915b8cb4b_o.jpg

• Like 3

teamschreiba

It's so hard to capture the color of the orchid dottyback in pictures.  At least I got the hiding/posing personality 😆

50173785823_b4b771248b_o.jpg

PicoMatt

Beautiful setup! Looks classy I love it. I would say maybe add a bit more rock in height to make it look a bit more full? Just my opinion. 

teamschreiba
12 hours ago, PicoMatt said:

Beautiful setup! Looks classy I love it. I would say maybe add a bit more rock in height to make it look a bit more full? Just my opinion. 

Thanks!! I’m hoping to eventually fill that space out with coral 🤞

I did already mount the purple torch to the top of the rock on the right which did help to fill it out. 

teamschreiba

Well when everyone tells you to rent a PAR meter to check your numbers, I now understand the truth in that and would highly recommend to anyone looking to keep SPS...

I did a BRS PAR meter rental recently to be 100% confident of my numbers. I was running 50-60% on my Radion XR15 G5 blue (AB+ programming) which turned out to only be about 100 PAR at the top of that top rock which currently has the SPS frags.  This would have been no where near enough for acros but did seem pretty bright to my eyes. Also, the places where you get high PAR is not intuitive (i.e. middle/center). For 100% on this fixture, the back glass about half way up is hitting 370 PAR even though the top of the SPS rock is 225. I assume this is from the reflection of the glass. Looks like I might be trying some magnetic mounts on the back glass if I can get some frags to take off. 

Needless to say, I have now switched to acclimation mode and will be working my way up to 100%. 

teamschreiba

Blahhh so I don't think the Sumpless ATO box is going to work out long term.  I took it apart to change out the carbon over the weekend and did not get it back together perfectly and in the right spot.  This means that the surface skimming basically becomes ineffective and no one likes looking at an oil sheen on top of the tank.  It's also not easy to take apart and get to the carbon meaning I won't as good about changing out whatever media is in there.

I'm thinking about going with the JBJ internal bio filter since it should be able to accommodate my minimal filtration and also hide the heater/probes which are currently exposed (hidden in the pictures by the ATO box).  I was considering going with a Tunze comline filter but they are large and I don't think I could keep my existing ATO.

Thoughts? 

New picture to hopefully track growth of the pocillopora and green tenius too 😄

50174327956_efb051080a_o.jpg

teamschreiba

Quick update! 

Ended up deciding to keep the current Sumpless ATO. I took the dividers out so it’s easy to just leave it in place and change/clean media. I also put the temperature probe in the box and plan I’m adding a pH probe in there as well. I’m still running filter floss and also picked up some carbon filter pad as I couldn’t find a media bag small enough to keep a bit of BRS ROX carbon in. Heater is still outside the box but hidden behind it so not a huge deal. 

Also picked up a pair of Sea and Reef clownfish! They’re super tiny but seem to be adjusting well to the new tank. One is an extreme grade davinci and the other is a grade A davinci. 

• Like 1