Pod Your Reef

Nano tank recommendations

chawk413

Hello! 

I was looking for some advice form more experienced reefers. I’ve had a 5g fluval aquarium for 2 years and things have gone relatively well with it but my clownfish pair have gotten bigger and that is my excuse to want to upgrade my tank now. I am in vet school and have limited funds so I am looking for the best bang for your buck. I also have some soft corals that do fine but would probably flourish with better lighting. I had euphillias before and was able to maintain them with frequent water changes. They unfortunately died when I left town for a few months and had a friend look after the tank. I’d love to have some euphillias/LPS again. I am currently looking at the bigger fluval aquarium (13.5g) as its pretty cheap, but anyone have other ideas? I’m willing to try DIY if I can keep things cheapish (really not wanting to spend more than $200-250). My main concern is if the fluval has strong enough lighting for corals to not just live but actually do well and grow. Does anyone have experience with this tank? Looking for a tank bigger than 10g but less than 25g.

Thank you! 

I think it just depends what is important to you, anesthetics wise and so on. The fluval should be fine for softies and LPS.

The petco $1 per gallon used to be very popular. People would just buy one of those cheap in whatever size suited their livestock/space and put a HOB filter on it with a chinese led/par bulb/orbit fixture and so on.

My friend had limited funds so he bought a 29g tank at the petco per gallon sale, put a $100 Viparspectra over it for lighting and he has been able to keep and grow anything, even SPS. He uses a hob filter and a jaebo powerhead. In his case, he wanted a larger tank but also wanted to keep it budget friendly and the bigger AIO's can get pricey. 

• Haha 1