Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dinos :(

peytron

I've got a dino problem that I have a plan of action for (try UV, maintain high nutrients, siphon daily, remove sand bed, add live rock and MB7 to increase diversity), but I expect this to take some time. I've lost several scans and am expecting to lose a torch and the remaining acans since the dinos have been taking over and slowly eating the flesh. Is there anything I can do to save these corals once the dinos are established on the skeleton? They return when I just blow them off. 😞

I wouldn't remove the sandbed, you will lose any biodiversity in it which will only aid the issue.

Check out my lagoon journal page 7. It details how I got rid of dino's. Took a month but it worked.

Best thing I did when i noticed dino's actually die off rather than just slow down- seeding tank with pods and phyto dosing-

• Like 1

wish you luck.

On my last tank i had up about year and half ago. I ended up shutting it down from Dinos.

I fought them for 4 months,

I did 2 5day blackouts, dosed microbacter7, dosed Dr tims wasteaway, then upgraded tank with bare bottom, ran UV, dosed DinoX, Vibrant and after 4months I gave up

SliceGolfer

Are you maintaining measurable amounts of nitrate and phosphate? Reef Builders posted an article recently that maintaining temp at 82 degrees for a week cleared Dino’s from their tank. I don’t recall what species of Dino they had but worth reading at the least.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Best thing I did when i noticed dino's actually die off rather than just slow down- seeding tank with pods and phyto dosing-

This worked for me as well. I started dosing fresh live phytoplankton and they receded within a few weeks. 

• Like 1
On 5/16/2020 at 12:16 PM, SliceGolfer said:

maintaining temp at 82 degrees for a week cleared Dino’s

🤦‍♂️

On 5/17/2020 at 12:43 AM, pal said:

Didn’t know about the 82 degree idea  mentioned above. I’d give it a try.

It's 2020.  I've had Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether? posted since 2017.

But they have to spend "hundreds of dollars" applying random solutions randomly?

And then find some random post on the internet telling them to run their tropical tank at a tropical temperature...then they blame the temp-switch for the dino's going away.

Finally that link concludes that DC pumps and LED's have caused dino's?!?  Again: 🤦‍♂️

If you want to run your tank at a tropical temp like 83, then by all means do it....temperature is one of the most important foundational aspects of husbandry.  Yes, your tank will do better when the temp is set correctly for the organisms you're keeping.  I think this is all we can learn from that link.  We can learn the importance of proper temperature from the aquarium handbook from 1850 I have in my Aquarium History article tho..as well as every aquarium book written since then...that's not newsworthy.

If you want to know about how to handle a tank with dino's, please read my thread about dino's.  Lots of research and experimentation by dozens of individuals went into that thread and its method has probably been tested by thousands of individuals by now.  (457 pages in the thread so far!)

(And for what it's worth, temperature adjustments are covered in the thread in reference to Ostreopsis.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will the corals and inverts be harmed by raising the tank temp to 82F as suggested by the reefbuilders article?  What are the side effects of running at 82?  

• Like 1

I can't get phyto or pods until the lfs puts in an order.   They hope to order in 2 weeks so it will be 3 for arrival.  I couldn't sit by and do nothing so I turned lessened the light period, turned the light intensity down a hair, am slowly inching the temp higher and have started feeding more.  I added a asterea snail, blue leg hermit and emerald crab last week and they are doing such a good job that the extra feeding should be ok.  

On 5/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, Wingy said:

Will the corals and inverts be harmed by raising the tank temp to 82F as suggested by the reefbuilders article?

No.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, Wingy said:

What are the side effects of running at 82?  

Better coral growth?

13 minutes ago, Wingy said:

I added a asterea snail, blue leg hermit and emerald crab last week and they are doing such a good job that the extra feeding should be ok.  

Dinos can be toxic; often people lose snails during outbreaks.  That might not be a reason not to introduce new herbivores, but it may be something to keep in mind.

18 minutes ago, seabass said:

Dinos can be toxic; often people lose snails during outbreaks.  That might not be a reason not to introduce new herbivores, but it may be something to keep in mind.

Which is possibly why I have lost several snails over the past month.  If I had known I wouldn't have gotten more.  The snot patch just showed up on Sunday, 2 days after adding more cuc.