ReefCleaners.org

Best Budget RODI System?

ginoandres

ginoandres

I'm just getting back into the hobby with a 20 gallon nano.  In the past I used a Spectrapure 90 GPD system with good results (it's now $180).  Now I'm looking at this $140 system on Amazon, along with the BRS Premium and Premium plus  75 GPD 5 stage RODI.  I don't really want to spend much more than $200.  Is the extra $64 for the Premium Plus worth it?  I already have a TDS meter.  Any insight you can offer is welcome, along with alternative suggestions.  The main thing is it's a small system so I won't be making more than 5 gallons at a time every week or so.  Not sure it makes sense to go all out for such a small amount of water.

Thrassian Atoll

Get the BRS 4 stage 75 gallon.  If you already have a TDS meter get the one without it.  The plus also has the membrane drain valve but I rarely use mine.  It’s suppose to help the membrane life.

ginoandres
3 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Get the BRS 4 stage 75 gallon.  If you already have a TDS meter get the one without it.  The plus also has the membrane drain valve but I rarely use mine.  It’s suppose to help the membrane life.

How do I know if the 4 stage will be adequate?  Does it depend on the TDS of my city water?  I will say there does seem to be a lot of Chlorine in our water.

Thrassian Atoll
13 minutes ago, ginoandres said:

How do I know if the 4 stage will be adequate?  Does it depend on the TDS of my city water?  I will say there does seem to be a lot of Chlorine in our water.

It should be adequate with city water.   You will have to read up on chlorine and chloramines.  I think the later is worse.  Thankfully our water doesn’t use it.

SliceGolfer

You need to check your city water report to know what type of filters and number of stages needed. I would stay clear of units like the RO Buddy as some have smaller sized or hard to find cartridges. The BRS $149 unit is a value, upgradeable, and comes with many accessories to aide installation.

3 hours ago, ginoandres said:

Yes, your choice of rodi unit, the stages you need, and filters used should be based on water quality and the treatment of it.

For ex. My water is very high in tds and very hard water. It is treated with chloramines and chlorine.

So I use a spectrapure 90gpd with 5 stages using 1 carbon block for chloramine, 1 reg carbon, di, and sediment(not in that order)

Nthanhalan

I have been using RO water for the last 2 years, Do I have the DI?  I'm really considering getting a RODI too.  Would you see a reduction in algae problems?

SliceGolfer
5 hours ago, Nthanhalan said:

I have been using RO water for the last 2 years, Do I have the DI?  I'm really considering getting a RODI too.  Would you see a reduction in algae problems?

Do you filter your own water or do you buy it at your LFS? If you make your own, how many stages is your unit? Have a picture?

There are two types of DI resins. They remove elements and impurities from the water as final stages of polishing. Cation resin removes cations, anion resin removes anions. Cations are positively charged ions, such as ammonium, sodium, calcium, magnesium. Anions are negatively charged, such as chloride, bicarbonate, phosphate.

ginoandres

I checked my faucet water and TDS is around 155.  The city does treat our water with Chloramines.  Does this mean any particular filter is indicated or can I go with a regular 4 stage?

ginoandres

Looks like I may need to spring for the 5 stage to completely remove Chloramines.  Would this have a negative effect on the tank if left in the water?  Increased algae?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, ginoandres said:

In the past I used a Spectrapure 90 GPD system with good results (it's now $180).

Still going to be one of the best options...and if it worked fine before it'll work just as fine now.

You aren't doing yourself any favors buying on Amazon....support vendors who can support you back when needed. (No brainer.)

If a Spectrapure seems "too rich" even though it fits your budget then consider these....

An Air, Water, Ice... 

TYPHOON 5 STAGE RODI REEFKEEPER

$159.95

This might be the best deal going, IMO.

AquaFX offers a $150 bare bones option:

AquaFX Bare Bones RO/DI

$149.00
ginoandres

I ended up going for the Spectrapure 90 GPD unit.  I agree, might as well do it right... water is probably the most important thing in reefing!  Within 30 minutes of receiving the unit, I was producing 0 TDS water.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For a tank that small, another option would be to have water delivered. If your work has water delivery, that would be a cheaper delivery option. Just specify RO/DI. I’d forget about getting it from a Pet Store or from a Grocery Store dispenser. I was getting RO/DI From the Grocery, till I got a TDS Meter. What a ripoff!