ReefCleaners.org

Do I need to raise Alkalinity?

Ivydoodles

Ivydoodles

Used my swimming pool test kit to test my salt water aquarium water and it is 160ppm total alk.  DO I need to do something to raise it? What is the ideal ppm it should read? 

I think the conversion to dKh (which is more common here) is like 9.0, which isn't bad. See web page below.  However, that number alone is not enough information, you need to know what yopur saltwater mixes at, both the published alk range, and the actual measurement of it when you mix up a batch at your target salinity. Then you can determine whether it needs to be raised. typically this is done with just water changes in a smaller nano reef. 

Then you need to factor in your tank consumption of alk (calcium typically comes along for the ride, raise alk, raises ca), if your stoney corals (lps and sps) are consuming it, you will need to replace it.

The most important thing to remember in this it to keep alk as stable as possible, don't worry so much about a specific number, and to adjust it slowly if needed.

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/alkalinity-conversion-chart.html

I would suggest you get a test kit meant for aquariums. Probably more precise than the pool one. 

If you don't have any upset animals, you don't need to worry about changing it.