Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

"Galaxea, Time Out!"

dnadrifter

dnadrifter

So I had no idea Galaxea were so aggressive with their sweepers, not good in a small tank when they reach half-way across.  I just thought, hmmm, motion, cheap....add to cart.  Should have researched more I guess. (or at all)

Not exactly sure what do now.  Guess I will have to get rid of it.  For now its in a time-out.

_P2A3880_editv1-2.jpg.10addd383a9a981ad9c75fc4abf2f221.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They are pretty but they are buggers.  In addition to along reach by their sweepers they get to be pretty large colonies.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wish they weren't so pretty.  Everytime I scroll past one for sale I'm entranced by the photo, then read the name and nope right out.  I'm kind of amazed anyone keeps them with how aggressive they are.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, dnadrifter said:

So I had no idea Galaxea were so aggressive with their sweepers, not good in a small tank when they reach half-way across.  I just thought, hmmm, motion, cheap....add to cart.  Should have researched more I guess. (or at all)

Not exactly sure what do now.  Guess I will have to get rid of it.  For now its in a time-out.

_P2A3880_editv1-2.jpg.10addd383a9a981ad9c75fc4abf2f221.jpg

I recently got rid of a softball size chunk out of my 75 gallon because it was going to murder the whole tank.......sooooo pretty but sooooo mean. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a mean Galaxea colony in my 20 gal. I keep him in check by placing him on a frag rack near the top of my tank in direct path of my mp10. Keeps his sweepers from reaching out. A good looking coral for sure but can’t wait to get rid of it. 

5156DA8F-0A82-4751-AFB4-2B37AEA6CB01.jpeg

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I wonder if a person can mix colors of them..I have seen some pretty cool morphs. 

A galaxea only nano 🙂

I have a bright green one with large polyps which is currently recovering in my pico. The sweepers are very short and stubby though. I used to keep the more common variety - like the one WVReefer has - in a nano many years ago, but it honestly tried to kill everything within an eight inch radius, so it had to go. 😞 

• Like 3
dnadrifter

Got some more frags today and a small duncan colony.....so it has been further banished.   Back with the heater, media and rock rubble you go.

_P2A3898_editv1.jpg.e2333eb581b360d021cd2818507d5e4f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2